Givi SR357 top trunk adapter. - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to MrZappo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigoride View Post
I just install my new SR357 Givi adapter on my 2007 Gen II. Numerous recommendations on this forum suggested this is the way to go if you tour with a loaded trunk. The goal is to minimze the chance of breaking the sub frame.
Aside from more robust steel contruction I cannot see how the 357 distributes the load any differently from the original cast metal component. It appears to be a direct replacement. ??
Thanks for any feed back.

The reason they break is due to repeated torsional stress (slight bending) that happens to that area with a top box on.

The subframe is not weak but aluminum is brittle and can get metal fatigue quickly because it is stiff and does not bend easily. Riding over bumps (even small ones) with a loaded top box subjects it to tiny bends over and over until it weakens.

The SR357 mount does not reinforce the subframe as much as it stops the repeated stress bending and holds the subframe in place so its strength is not compromised.

The cheaper givi mount only makes a bigger compatible place to connect a top box to but it does nothing to relieve the twisting stress. Which is why it is a bad idea.

An FJR with a top box (which are usually overloaded) is a problem waiting to happen.

I highly recommend that you buy another SR357 and install it as described in the posts above ... It fits ... Guaranteed ...

Workin' them angels overtime ...

Last edited by MrZappo; 05-21-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:47 PM
Training wheels fitted!

My rack was, I think, quite bad. It was warped and just resting the rack on the mounting points showed as mush as 3/8 inch of gap and I was unable to get all 5 screws to start grabbing the thread.
I have been looking at the Yamaha Aluminum rack and I must admit it is a rather nice looking unit and the silver would go well with my 2018 FJR. Canadian price is just over $300. The only concern is will it accept the Givi Monokey mounting plate. The rear grab rail portion looks like it could interfere with the top case when mounted.
I may just order another SR357 and see how it goes.
RaYzerman likes this.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:46 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Whatever one needs to adapt OEM to Givi will be necessary in addition to that fancy rail. I vote another SR357 (paint it silver? or blue)

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:14 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Garage
I just purchased the Givi SR357 from Revzilla and had absolutely no problems installing the thing. I am one of the least mechanical people that I know, but managed to get the old one off an the new one on in about twenty minutes. Like everyone else suggested, just went finger-tight with all five attach points, and then rotated the tightening as it went. Super-easy and everything fit like a glove.

Givi provides a second attachment plate that bolts right on to the SR357, which is their universal adapter. Had that one on in about twenty minutes as well. The top case I purchased, the V47 Tech Monokey Top Case just snaps right on to that and off you go.

I would have a hard time believing that there were major systemic problems with the rail system, but I'm sure that there are exceptions to this where something gets damaged in transit or in storage on someone's shelf somewhere.

2015 FJR1300ES
2007 M109R Boulevard
2007 VT750DC Shadow
---20 Year Gap For Kids---
1982 R65 BMW
1984 XL500R
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
You can always opt for the Garauld Stiffy kit, I chose the 357 and no issues for me.
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/24-...y-catalog.html

2014 FJR1300ES Metallic Black
I strive for perfection but have settled for less!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page