2017 ES Skene P3 strobe brake lights + Back Off module - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:56 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

jtdunc, What happens when you press the brake in that high setting, no change in the brightness? If so I don't think I would run it.

I am running the default settings on the P3's and Photon Blasters on the front. Very Happy with them.

Also here is a wiring table for anyone wondering about the wiring. https://www.skenelights.com/wiring-table-p3

2014 FJR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post
Hi All,

Question: Who is running the Option 9 - brighter tail lights? (file attached)

Seems like you'd want that all of the time as a default - especially on a commuter bike in traffic daily?
jtdunc, I run #7 setting for "tail light" the "constant flicker" is driving everybody behind me crazy, and left the default #3 for brake light programming, glad you sorted out your wires

I had the additional "Back-off" module hooked up to my FJR brake light, (to make it flash and then go steady) when brakes applied, but it was just "too much" (can't believe I said that ) of a light show combined with Skene, so I removed the module. The Skene LED's are super bright at night (you see black dots for 5 minutes after you look away)
Sete Bond likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I have the Skene P3 with just flicker and flashing brake lights. Bought the adapter from Admore to do the hookup and highly recommend that. You cut nothing and an easy install.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukinDogs View Post
jtdunc, What happens when you press the brake in that high setting, no change in the brightness? If so I don't think I would run it.

I am running the default settings on the P3's and Photon Blasters on the front. Very Happy with them.

Also here is a wiring table for anyone wondering about the wiring. https://www.skenelights.com/wiring-table-p3
On the high tail light setting, it is noticeably brighter. Don't think I need to run with it.

Have a top trunk with LED brakes, 3M reflective tape on the rears of my saddlebags, a horizontal LED bar on the license plate, and the P3 Skenes.

Do I need a second set of P3s for the rear?

Or have I hit the "too much light bro" spot?

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Just ordered a second set of yellow LEDs for my front for my commuter FJR.

Bill @ Skene said all I need to do is patch into my existing wires.

Should be a 10 minute install.

Can't wait to be really bright for oncoming traffic!
Sete Bond and G P Jones like this.

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-15-2020, 07:58 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I have mixed feelings about things like the Whelen LIN3's or anything too obnoxious.. I highly recommend against any of those that activate/detect deceleration, e.g., the upscale Admore bar (save yer money!). First thing I'll ask you to do in a group ride is ride in the back. I think there's an anti-safety factor in causing too much distraction.
Running lights aren't a real problem as they are on all the time.
Yeah I know you want to get attention, rightfully so to a point, but you also don't want to cause any unnecessary distraction from anyone who should be concentrating on their riding or driving. Besides the vast majority of motorcycle collisions are at the front/front sides. Yeah I also know we have texters and drivers out there and some motorcyclists are just as guilty with GPS and phone button pushing.
I'm absolutely in favour of forward lighting for visibility, but not that guy who runs aux. led's so bright I can't see the bikes signals or identify you as a motorcyclist. IMHO you are more visible if you can create a triangle image that sets you apart from the crowd so to speak, yet I can identify with your normal brake and turn signals, it's far safer IMHO.
I get the commuter situation, it's the more dangerous part of riding (BTDT almost killed a couple of times, glad I'm retired), but don't inspire any road rage annoyances if you can help it. Your lights can be normal brightness and still cause attention because your bike appears different than what people expect a motorcycle to be. A brief flashing of brake light and solid on is a good thing.
Hyper lites were small and good, Skene has upped the ante. The Admore large light bar is good, the one without the deceleration feature. I have used the Whelen StripLite bar with 96 LED's that included brakes and signals, it isn't obnoxious at all but gets attention, had many positive comments....

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
1999 VFR800Fi - Pearl Shining Yellow
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 01:01 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdunc View Post
Just ordered a second set of yellow LEDs for my front for my commuter FJR. Ö !
Where, and how, do you plan to mount that second set of yellow LEDs? Are they going to serve as a second set of signal lights, or amber fog lights? Thanks!

Sete
2018 FJR13ESJ
We've got them right where they want us
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 06:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I want skenes on my forks. I just donít want to wire them up.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 08:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
The Skene LEDs can be de-activated by a series of brake or clutch squeezes. I should be doing a End of Winter Ride to Mt. St. Helens this coming weekend and don't want fellow motorcyclists unhappy. don't care about the cagers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sete Bond View Post
Where, and how, do you plan to mount that second set of yellow LEDs? Are they going to serve as a second set of signal lights, or amber fog lights? Thanks!
No, just bought an extender bracket to increase the size of the yellow LEDs - bigger running lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
I want skenes on my forks. I just donít want to wire them up.
Really Bill? They even send you Posi-Taps so no soldering is necessary. But I did!

The back has enough lights from the GIVI top trunk LEDs up top to the a pair of Skene P3 and a bottom LED surrounding my license plate. Also swapped out the factory halogen rear light/turns assembly for a full LED unit. Below photo not showing the added Skene P3s.

Now, thinking of getting a BrakeFree helmet light for my helmet for commuting only!
Attached Images
File Type: png brakefree Brakelight 1.png (292.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by jtdunc; 03-16-2020 at 11:39 PM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-17-2020, 08:15 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Not a fan of cutting or tapping my harness. With LED headlights, I’m fine until a no-cut solution presents itself. They do look nice on the front.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 03-17-2020 at 08:23 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page