Windscreen add-on - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Windscreen add-on

While I like the windscreen up/down feature, the upright position leaves too much of my helmet in the turbulent air flow coming off the top of the windscreen (too much noise!!). Right now, I don't have a problem with the width (may think differently for cold WX riding), just height.

There are some clear plastic panels that can be added to improve air flow. Recommendations? Do they leave marks behind if they're removed?

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 02:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

You mean, the laminar lips?

Time spent looking at motorcycles, even Harleys, is never wasted.

2013 FJR1300A
1984 GPz750
Series III fairing removal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I guess... Hmmm... looks interesting. Who, around here, uses them?

I was thinking of something kind of like a clear, upside down windshield visor attached to the top of the windscreen. But maybe the lip makes more sense. Sure would be nice to see some FJR pix and hear from "I use that".

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 04:15 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I tried laminar lip. Didnít do anything for me. Didnít leave any marks on the screen. Was well made. Just didnít work for my setup. Inexpensive to try and experiment with.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 08:17 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Bill L’s post just goes to show how everyone feels something different when it comes to wind protection. You just have to buy it and see if it works for you. I have had my Lip on my 2015 touring shield for a couple months now and about 4000 miles. I love it and won’t be taking it off.

2015 FJR1300A
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 09:47 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

The obvious thing is how tall you are probably affects how it works for you, I think if I remember correctly Bill is pretty tall so he may actually require a much talker screen or different shaped screen, itís all a compromise. I am 5í 10Ē and I have the Yamaha touring screen which is pretty good for me but have some buffeting in the up position around my head. I have found various ďstillĒ pockets through its travel range and have found that in the full down position it provides goodairflow that is quite smooth. Good for warm, dry rides but not great for rain or cold days, so a laminar lip might be the fix for me if I ever decide that itís not so ugly. My opinion.

Steve P
Red 2014A, the fastest color !
Ride more,, worry less !
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
The obvious thing is how tall you are probably affects how it works for you, I think if I remember correctly Bill is pretty tall so he may actually require a much talker screen or different shaped screen, it’s all a compromise. I am 5’ 10” and I have the Yamaha touring screen which is pretty good for me but have some buffeting in the up position around my head. I have found various “still” pockets through its travel range and have found that in the full down position it provides goodairflow that is quite smooth. Good for warm, dry rides but not great for rain or cold days, so a laminar lip might be the fix for me if I ever decide that it’s not so ugly. My opinion.
Your right on in sayings it’s all a compromise as everyone has a different idea what wind protection is. I am 6’3”, 34” inseam, and I have always gone thru a few windscreens on past bikes trying to find the best compromise of quiet and protection. I love the FJR power adjustment feature, probably my favorite creature comfort feature on the bike. I can ride in the wind on days I feel like it, or raise it and be in the quiet bubble. To each their own. 🙂

2015 FJR1300A
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I see the reasoning behind the lip. I get what it's doing for air flow with the windscreen raised. But it continues to do that with the windscreen down, or at least I assume it is. Which means the deflected air stream would probably be aimed right at my helmet - v. noisy. With the windscreen down, there's somewhat less noise, as the helmet is only seeing the airflow from moving forward on the bike. Which is a long way of saying a movable deflector would allow moving it closer to parallel to air flow - effectively the windscreen is now only somewhat longer. Moved forward, to a configuration somewhat like the lip. Noise issues somewhat abated.

Time to do some serious googling...

-
'17 FJR 1300ES
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:57 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I use my screen adjustment very frequently. Which is odd, as I rarely found it necessary to adjust the one on my BMW. Without thinking about it, I lower mine when I get onto secondary streets, or when I hit highway traffic, to increase airflow, and raise it for speed. I've never found anything that compares with my Cee Bailey large for cold weather, but the yamaha touring shield (followed closely by the vstream 20308, different shields, same manufacturer), to me, is the perfect all around shield. It's good that laminar came out with a lip for the touring shield. For a long time, there was only one available for the original FJR shield.

No commercials. No dictators.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Farkle Trainee

I'm 5'6. What I'd like to find in someone willing to sell their stock windshield cheap so I can cut a few inches off the top and see how that does. I run my stock shield down most of the time and it's still a bit too tall. I'm thinking 3 or 4" shorter would be the cat/s meow.

air will only bounce so far over the top of an object (like a windshield). inseam has nothing to do with it, but torso height does. Look at wind tunnel tests with smoke and you will see wind doesn't bounce very high over an object. If you want still air you'd better be looking right over the top of your screen or preferably thru it.

SW Ohio
2018 Yamaha FJR 1300A
2014 Honda CB1100 DLX

It doesn't matter what I ride, where I ride, or how far I ride... it only matters THAT I ride...every day. "Ferret"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page