Windscreen add-on - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Ferret View Post
I'm 5'6. What I'd like to find in someone willing to sell their stock windshield cheap so I can cut a few inches off the top and see how that does. I run my stock shield down most of the time and it's still a bit too tall. I'm thinking 3 or 4" shorter would be the cat/s meow.

air will only bounce so far over the top of an object (like a windshield). inseam has nothing to do with it, but torso height does. Look at wind tunnel tests with smoke and you will see wind doesn't bounce very high over an object. If you want still air you'd better be looking right over the top of your screen or preferably thru it.
Correct me if I’m wrong but, most people say how tall they are, followed by their inseam to give other people a good idea of torso height since it’s fairly simple to compare inseam lengths. Yes, your correct, inseam has nothing to do with it, it’s just a good comparison.

2015 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:07 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Every option is a compromise,Laminar Lip does a good job cheaper than anything else. On the stock shield,it relatively smooths airflow and can be affixed to give 1 to 4 inches of extra height. I have been reasonably satisfied,it also will add about 2 inches to width at top portion of shield. Biggest negative:makes cleaning tough.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:08 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Garage
MRA X-Creen Sport Add-On Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade

$118

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-...dware-included

Works very well on my 2013 with a stock screen.

RaYzerman likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Some googling later... there are a host of ...um... offshore sources, mostly on Amazon. From what I saw, thanks but no thanks. Two other names came up: Wunderlich and Puig.

I've used other Wunderlich gear - it's darn good.

That mount would drive me insane.

Here's plan B - or P: Puig

Short and simple review:

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

OMG!! Wunderlich wants $201 for their deflector. The Puig deflector goes for $114 on RevZilla.

Let's see... $200 for a vision blocker with spiffy adjustments vs $115 for a not so vision blocking gizmo with fewer adjustments. Hmmmm...

ADDED: sheeeyite!!! $102 for the plastic bit alone!

I used to think I probably knew what I was doing. Now I know I probably know what I'm doing. Which doesn't say I always knew what I was doing or always know what I'm doing. You know what I'm saying?
-
'17 FJR 1300ES

Last edited by RBEmerson; 08-03-2018 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Amusing addition
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 02:24 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
I am very happy with my Laminar Lip.Works great for me!And for my passenger from what she says..
http://www.laminarlip.com/australian.pdf

2003/ABS FJR
XTZ 750 Super Tenere
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 03:00 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith spencer View Post
Every option is a compromise,Laminar Lip does a good job cheaper than anything else. On the stock shield,it relatively smooths airflow and can be affixed to give 1 to 4 inches of extra height. I have been reasonably satisfied,it also will add about 2 inches to width at top portion of shield. Biggest negative:makes cleaning tough[/B].
What's different about cleaning that one?
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 04:53 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Perhaps try one of these before spending the big bucks. It will give you an idea of what to expect. I have one on the dirt bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wind-Deflec...itleDesc=0%7C0

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 2006 FJR Project
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

It's funny... there are a host of these things on eBay. Anyway...

Based on the listing cited above, the deflector is about 10"/27 cm wide x 4"/12 cm high. Lacking anything resembling a life, I sketched something approximating the outline of one of these bad boys. To my surprise, 10" isn't that far off the width of the top the FJR windscreen. Based on a photo, in the auction, showing a side view of the mount, the height adjustment is in front of the stock screen. I'm concerned about the cutaway on the bottom though. Raise the shield too high and probably air "leaks" through the gap. NTL the cutout suggests there may be just enough deflection to move air flow a bit higher. For someone with a little skill in cutting and forming plastic, the mount should be reusable for a shield without a gap. Hmmmmm...

Oh, wait. All of the photos of installed deflectors show the plastic has two bends or creases spreading out from the mount. More than one photo shows the distortion that can be expected from the creases. It's frustrating because the artwork shows only a curved sheet.

@RaYzerman : does your deflector have creases or is it curved?

-
'17 FJR 1300ES
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

All of the eBay deflectors from China, Inc. appear to be creased.

I found this on YT:
Definitely no creases. Woohoo!

I pulled the trigger on the screen in the video. It's $5-10 more than the creased eBay deflectors but no d*** creases! We'll see what comes in the mail next week...

-
'17 FJR 1300ES

Last edited by RBEmerson; 08-04-2018 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Coping with weird URL behavior...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in