Corbin Smuggler and Rear Carriers - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By camtcs17

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Corbin Smuggler and Rear Carriers

After searching around this forum for a little bit and finding nothing on the fitment of the Corbin Smuggler on GenIII's with aftermarket rear carriers (Givi, Shad, OEM Aluminum), I have decided to become the guinea pig for everyone. I recently bought a 2013 that came with a Smuggler already installed (yay!!). It also came with a V47 trunk but it was mounted with just the steel plate on the ABS stock rack; thankfully the subframe isn't cracked or broken. Last week I bought the Givi SR357 rack from Revzilla and it DOES NOT FIT WITH THE SMUGGLER. The grab rails on the 357 are slightly taller than the stock ones and catch on the Smuggler enough that it cannot slide into place. That rack is on its way back to Revzilla and the Shad rack should be arriving today for round two. Hopefully the Shad one fits so I don't have to pay for the pricey OEM aluminum one. I will also be fitting an aluminum Givi monokey plate onto the Shad rack if it fits with the Smuggler. If everything fits, I'll take pictures if any extra spacers or washers were used. I also recently read that some Shad racks need elongated holes; I'll report back later if that is needed too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

I recently fitted the Smuggler to a 2016 with the Yamaha aluminum rack and a stiffy kit. It required modification of the rack and minor mod to the smuggler. The center pair of rubber feet were removed from the trunk. The rack required reducing the height of the two forward bolt bosses at the back (to accommodate the stiffy and return the grab rails to the intended stock position) as well as some grinding of the rack in the front under the seat. I also had to trim the upright part of the angled steel braces and replace the front bolts with flathead screws. It's a close fit but it's all good now. Not a job for the faint of heart.

'16 FJR1300ES
'78 SR500 Cafe Racer

Gone but not forgotten:
WR250R
BMW K1200R
SRX600
XS850G
DRZ400S
GS1000GL
CL350 converted to CB
Bird 125 motocross
Jawa 50
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yesterday I fitted the SHAD rack on there and the Smuggler does fit but with some modifications to just the rack. I had to slot the mounting holes so that the hole rack slid back around 1/4". I also had to shorten the spacers that SHAD provided, easy work for a sawzal. The lower small spacers that came with the rack weren't used to lower the grab rails enough for the Smuggler to fit over. The rack mounting tabs were bent slightly because I changed the overall angle of the rack due to the shorter spacers on the upper mounts. The Smuggler is still touching the grab rails but it clicks into place without much pressure. I mounted the Givi M8A aluminum trecker plate to the SHAD rack. The bike came with the steel Givi adapter plate specific to the FJR (E22 which shares the same two mounting holes as the SHAD rack so that mounted on very easily. I'll make a post tonight with some pictures so everyone can see that a Givi trunk can be used with a Smuggler without risking subframe failure!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Here are the pictures with some notes on the installation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Side View.jpg (247.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Front View.jpg (325.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Under Smuggler.jpg (145.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Tail Mounts.jpg (258.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Under Tail.jpg (107.0 KB, 46 views)
FastPappy likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
The Smugger and a GIVI top trunk operate independently and do not interfere with each other's operation in the Gen I's

2003 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Current), 2005 Yamaha FJR1300A (Former), 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R Ninja (Former)
ATGATT - My Safety Gear Has Saved Me Twice!
Seattle/Eastside - Pacific Northwest Outdoorsman (Salmon & Shellfish)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2020, 08:23 PM
Training wheels fitted!

It's an old thread, but still helpful - got a top box installed with my Smugger. Modified a Shad rack exactly as described and it worked perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201003_190849545.jpg (75.4 KB, 12 views)

2012 FJR1300A
Madison, Wisconsin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page