Installed a new BlackPath 1" bar risers - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Installed a new BlackPath 1" bar risers

I had ordered the BlackPath 1" bar risers on Ebay for about $50.
I would have loved the higher dollar bar risers...but...these were priced right for me.

They come with a set of instructions that need a lot to be desired, but overall the install was pretty easy.

A couple of thoughts if anyone else does it.

1. It says that it is preferable to leave bike on side stand so that you can check the fit easier. DO NOT DO THIS. Getting the triple tree back on was a pain in the rear. I finally decided to put it on the center stand to get some weight off the front tire. It is not that easy to do with no handlebar to grab onto. Would have been much easier if I had done this before taking off the handle bars. Once I got it on the center stand, the triple tree went on super easy.

2. The directions are not really clear about this, but the factory handle bars have a stud with a bolt on top that adjusts when you move the handle bars forward and back. This stud is built into a carrier that is under the triple tree. The second bolt drops in from the top into a bolt that is also part of this carrier. All of this goes away and is replaced by 2 bolts and 2 nuts. Once I realized this, the process went really quick.

The only bad thing, you can not put the caps back on over the bolt heads on the handlebars. Not end of the world...but not as finished as before. I do sit up noticeably more straight. Now, I need to relax my shoulders when I ride. Also...it puts my head a little further above the windshield...so that becomes the next project.

2006 FJR 1300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 06:58 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcompton1973 View Post
I had ordered the BlackPath 1" bar risers on Ebay for about $50.
I would have loved the higher dollar bar risers...but...these were priced right for me.

They come with a set of instructions that need a lot to be desired, but overall the install was pretty easy.

A couple of thoughts if anyone else does it.

1. It says that it is preferable to leave bike on side stand so that you can check the fit easier. DO NOT DO THIS. Getting the triple tree back on was a pain in the rear. I finally decided to put it on the center stand to get some weight off the front tire. It is not that easy to do with no handlebar to grab onto. Would have been much easier if I had done this before taking off the handle bars. Once I got it on the center stand, the triple tree went on super easy.

2. The directions are not really clear about this, but the factory handle bars have a stud with a bolt on top that adjusts when you move the handle bars forward and back. This stud is built into a carrier that is under the triple tree. The second bolt drops in from the top into a bolt that is also part of this carrier. All of this goes away and is replaced by 2 bolts and 2 nuts. Once I realized this, the process went really quick.

The only bad thing, you can not put the caps back on over the bolt heads on the handlebars. Not end of the world...but not as finished as before. I do sit up noticeably more straight. Now, I need to relax my shoulders when I ride. Also...it puts my head a little further above the windshield...so that becomes the next project.
I donít know about the Black Path risers, but the Gen Mar risers, you could reattach the cover plates when finished. The bolts had one end drilled and tapped to accept the factory screw that holds the cover plate on. You may have that bolt installed the wrong direction so your not seeing the drilled/tapped hole.

2015 FJR1300A
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 08:55 AM
Farkle Trainee

I installed the Genmars recently and the supplied bolts did not have the tap for the screw. RBentnail (Russ) suggested tapping and die which I did and it worked. ~He also suggested rubber o-ring washers around the cover screws so as not to break the covers which is a pretty good idea. All in all, a pretty easy job overall.
The neat thing (at least on the '17) is that later you can install the Helibars and just move the risers to the Heli's if you need to. (T-Rex arms here...)
philharmonic likes this.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 09:48 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
The Black Paths I received were drilled and tapped at the threaded end. Meant to be run up from the bottom side.

I didn't use the Black Path bolts since I installed the blocks on an early Helibar billet triple tree and the bolts thread into the billet from the top rather than go all the way through like stock.

DAN THE PARTS MAN
2007 FJR1300AE
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 10:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

Thanks foe the writeup and lessons learned. Can you post pictures of the BlackPath Risers installed on your bike?

Current: 2013 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring - Rosie
Former: 1979 Honda CB750, 1994 Honda Magna, 1995 Honda Magna, 1982 Honda CBX, 1997 Honda Magna, 1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 2013 Yamaha FJR1300 - Gutnis
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:42 PM
mmm
Farkle Trainee

Me too I have installed the BlackPath and it does have the drilled and tapped bolts for the cover to go back in. Did you have your bolts upside down? The bolts are on the bottom and the nuts are on top. The end of each bolts are pre-drilled and tapped, like the oem bolts.

---------------------
2014 FJR-1300A

Last edited by mmm; 02-26-2018 at 03:45 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm View Post
Me too I have installed the BlackPath and it does have the drilled and tapped bolts for the cover to go back in. Did you have your bolts upside down? The bolts are on the bottom and the nuts are on top. The end of each bolts are pre-drilled and tapped, like the oem bolts.
I think you are right. I think I put the bolts in upside down...I was looking for a hole in the head...and now that I think about it, there was a little screw or something in the other end...I just did not connect the dots. Guess I will be fixing that. Like I said...the directions are passable...but not great. lol

2006 FJR 1300
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 09:37 PM
mmm
Farkle Trainee

Yes! You removed those 2 little bolts and use them to reinstall your covers. I think you may be able to remove/reinstall the bolts without removing the triple clamp.

---------------------
2014 FJR-1300A
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Pretty sure that I can. Wont take me but a few minutes. I will get that done this weekend, and I will get a picture.

Not much to see...the color doesnt match 100% to my 2006...but the fit seems good.

2006 FJR 1300
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Training wheels fitted!

Just installed the BP risers, could not be happier with the results.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page