60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Clear as Mississippi mud. I'm already beginning to hate I asked......
Im kindly a paper map kinda guy. I find great joy in finding my own way. I never had a map I couldnt see in the sun.
Blue X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 09:51 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue X View Post
Im kindly a paper map kinda guy. I find great joy in finding my own way. I never had a map I couldnt see in the sun.
Blue X
I always have a paper map handy, at least for NC . I find it useful for getting the big picture view, the one you can't see on the small gps screen. The gps keeps me on track to get to that road, site, etc. that I chose to go to. I've found that I'll never make it to my desired destination sometimes, I distract easily .
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 04:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Welp, zumo is mounted. Octopus cable is run and powered. I can honestly say that I am NOT fond of it.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #44 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:41 AM
Farkle Trainee

Iím really not liking garmin these days... I got a nuvi 2555lm (car - testing before expensive unit) unit Iíve used a couple times now that has really disappointed me. Iíve set up routes in base camp and transferred them over only to have garmin reroute and change fully into the ride. I wanted to see how itíd do vs trusty ole iPhone (google map app/Waze/apple maps/scenic/etc).
I missed a whole city on a ride yesterday as the darn thing decided to reroute me to the next point. I didnít catch it until I was halfway down the road. I will be printing the route next time... All the above comments on the 595 - which Iíve seriously been considering - are not reassuring. I think Iím starting to lean towards a non-cell plan Android in waterproof case.
Chicago_FJR likes this.

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
post #45 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 09:21 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm fine with the routing, BaseCamp interface, all that stuff. It takes a little practice to be thorough enough in BC for the gps to not change the route. It's the same thing for all 3 different Garmins I've used, it's not you. In the beginning I'd make a route and transfer it & get the big surprise like you did. Then I'd make a route and transfer it but then preview on the gps and modify it (add points) in BaseCamp so eventually, with enough points added, the gps had no choice but to follow the given route. Everyone has their own way, I'm not a phone guy. It's never worked well for me.

What I'm not fond of is the permanence of the installation. My old nuvi was completely removable so all that was left is the Ram ball. Now, when not using the gps, I still have this big black thing gawking at me.

Russ
2007A

post #46 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 04:26 PM
Farkle Trainee

Smart. Another person suggested to create multiple individual routes - each beginning at the previous waypoint end. Of course, the trick would also be to make sure garmin doesnít change the order of the routes once on the road.... (I wouldnít be one bit surprised...)

--
tim

2017 Yamaha FJR
1980 Kawasaki kz440
2002 Honda vt1100c2 Shadow Sabre
post #47 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:03 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I followed a route today that I made with BaseCamp and transferred to the 595. All went well, no changes made by the gps at all.

I do have another specific question for experienced 595 users:

is there a way to get the "garbage" off the display? It's a cluttered mess, displaying every restaurant & gas station. I've been searching but haven't had any luck finding out how to do it, if it's possible.

Russ
2007A

post #48 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
There is a fix for the short battery life according to this link. Been meaning to try it myself as mine does not last very long off the cradle.

http://outsider-adventure.blogspot.c...ttery-fix.html
rbentnail likes this.
post #49 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 12:40 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashVol View Post
There is a fix for the short battery life according to this link. Been meaning to try it myself as mine does not last very long off the cradle.
The ďfixĒ doesnít always but I agree the connector is the origin of the battery problem.

2018 F-150 XLT SuperCab 4x4 2.7L
2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #50 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 10:45 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashVol View Post

http://outsider-adventure.blogspot.c...ttery-fix.html
You're my hero! I had no idea there's actually a forum for zumo clods like me! Thanks, I owe you one!!
SmashVol likes this.

Russ
2007A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page