Yamaha touring windshield - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineJollyRide View Post
The Yamaha touring is a welcome step up from stock and a Cal Sci is superior to both. True quiet spot, rigid plastic. Good overall range of adjustment for Northern Climate. That said, I have a Gen 2 touring screen in great shape for a great price .. lol.
Hey FJR, school me on your Spencer's seat.. your sig is the first time I have heard of it, but it looks like exactly what I'm looking for!! I went to his website and read everything there, but the weird thing about seats is everyone is different. I have a buddy with an '08 FJR that rides Iron Butt on his stock seat, whereas I'm hating the stocker after 50-60 miles.
I also noticed that on my stock FJR seat, I don't have any weight or pressure on my thighs at all, and I think that would help immensely.

I have what I affectionately call the bony butt syndrome- I start feeling pressure points where I'm sitting. I've never met a Corbin seat that I liked, and I've owned 4 of them. Sold or traded away every one of them too.

What kinds of discomfort were you experiencing, and how well did this seat mod address that?

Michael is so much easier than calling me FTL900
2011 FJR1300, 2001 FZ1, 1999 ZRX1100

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 11:27 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL900 View Post
Hey FJR, school me on your Spencer's seat.. your sig is the first time I have heard of it, but it looks like exactly what I'm looking for!! I went to his website and read everything there, but the weird thing about seats is everyone is different. I have a buddy with an '08 FJR that rides Iron Butt on his stock seat, whereas I'm hating the stocker after 50-60 miles.
I also noticed that on my stock FJR seat, I don't have any weight or pressure on my thighs at all, and I think that would help immensely.

I have what I affectionately call the bony butt syndrome- I start feeling pressure points where I'm sitting. I've never met a Corbin seat that I liked, and I've owned 4 of them. Sold or traded away every one of them too.

What kinds of discomfort were you experiencing, and how well did this seat mod address that?
Have you considered a quick search on the subject or PMing him?

Russ
2007A

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 01:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:

There have been lots of long discussons in previous seasons, with custom mods like Seth Laam and Russell being more popular than mass produced retail solutions for longer distances. The stock seat is OK for up to 75 miles on average, Spencer is a cost effective solution for the 300 mile range. It ended a lot of the butt bone fatigue and reduced crotch squash significantly. Mine has continued to break in and improve. I still carry a sheep skin for long days in the saddle to soften the pressure points. Overall, I'm very happy with the investment. Laam & Russell get high marks for serious long distance. Plenty of alternate opinions and threads to be found on this forum and others. It comes down to how far & how often you ride and the $$s you are willing to spend.

2006 Cobalt Blue FJR1300
Throttle Meister
MV Riser Plate
Pirate's Lair Backrest
Spencer Mod Seat
Cal Sci Large Windscreen
MCL Lowering Passenger Pegs
T-Rex Sliders & Luggage Guards
RAM GPS & Phone Mounts
Michelin PR4s
Some Cheap Blue Leds

Last edited by FineJollyRide; 08-22-2017 at 01:37 PM.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 01:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineJollyRide View Post
There have been lots of long discussons in previous seasons, with custom mods like Seth Laam and Russell being more popular than mass produced retail solutions for longer distances. The stock seat is OK for up to 75 miles on average, Spencer is a cost effective solution for the 300 mile range. It ended a lot of the butt bone fatigue and reduced crotch squash significantly. Mine has continued to break in and improve. I'm very happy with the investment. Russell gets high marks for serious long distance. Plenty of alternate opinions and threads to be found on this forum and others. It comes down to how far & how often you ride and the $$s you are willing to spend.
Thanks for your feedback, I have found exactly the same thing with the stock seat, it's good for short rides. I don't much do all day rides so I'm kinda looking for the middle ground, 100-200 miles or so. I think I'm gonna give Spencer a shot.

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 01:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback, I have found exactly the same thing with the stock seat, it's good for short rides. I don't much do all day rides so I'm kinda looking for the middle ground, 100-200 miles or so. I think I'm gonna give Spencer a shot.
Should be a good and appropriate solution for you. Just be aware that it will take a few hundred miles to break in. I think it cost me approx. $125?? USD a few years ago?? Was out most of the day last Sunday and noticed that the seat hadn't come to mind the entire time.... big improvement. Good luck!

2006 Cobalt Blue FJR1300
Throttle Meister
MV Riser Plate
Pirate's Lair Backrest
Spencer Mod Seat
Cal Sci Large Windscreen
MCL Lowering Passenger Pegs
T-Rex Sliders & Luggage Guards
RAM GPS & Phone Mounts
Michelin PR4s
Some Cheap Blue Leds
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Yup, I think so too. I have an Airhawk for longer rides. I used it when I bought the bike in Phoenix and rode it home, a little over 300 miles. By the time I got home, I was ready to get off.
Now I have to find boxes for the seats, I just emailed off the quote form!! Thanks for your help!!

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Does anyone have a photo of the Spencer seat on their FJR? The Spencer website doesn't have any photos. Thanks
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 07:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
They said there's no point in posting pictures because it's the stock cover and looks exactly the same as the OEM seat.

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 09:12 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have tried different seats and the only thing I can sit on all day is any old seat with an AirHawk cushion on it. Your butt doesn't actually touch the seat, but floats on about a dozen little pockets of air that move from pocket to pocket as your butt moves - incredibly comfortable.

2016 FJR1300A
2012 Honda Goldwing Triked
2012 Honda Goldwing
2011 Kawasaki Vulcan
2008 Yamaha V Star 1300
1982 Honda 750 V4 Sabre
1965 Honda 90 Sport
1963 Honda 50 Sport
1962 50cc Itom
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 10:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Yup, I have an Airhawk2, and I even use it when taking a car on interstate trips. Best purchase I ever made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page