ST2 Self Cancel Turn Signal - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

ST2 Self Cancel Turn Signal

I wanted to drop a quick review of this product, their are product reviews on the web if you search.
https://www.safer-turn.com/?gclid=Cj...arRBoCpTjw_wcB

I felt compelled to post a review as this product met and exceeded my expectation. Let me begin by asking we not let the thread deteriorate into a
-y'll don't need self cancelers cause you have a button
-if you can't remember to turn it off you should no be riding
-198x bike had them why don't they put them on now

I know there are other system for a few dollars less, I researched them. Various setups fro 99 to 125 bucks. This was not exactly cheap at about 175 with shipping or whatever.

OK, that said I did not like the idea of time based turn off. Not useful for quick lane changes (stays on too long and would confuse the other drivers). Time based does not work well for a long cycle light as it would turn off too soon. The only thing I see time based systems useful for is if you forget to turn it off it will do so for you, eventually or too soon. Yes some of those setups work on other algorithms but don't consistently turn then off as the rider would do so.

The ST2 system turns off based on some pretty smart firmware built into the unit. I can only suspect exactly how it was programmed by using accelorameters, decel sensors fore and aft and lean angles etc. For instance it knows if you slow down, have a slight lean then speed up it turns off. If it senses lean with only slight changes in speed it interprets this as a lane change.

Let me just say once I got this installed I was using my signal for everything I could and it simply would not malfunction or be faked out. I could signal L or R leaving the driveway and it turned off once turn was completed plus a few seconds. Slow speed lane changes, high speed lane changes, lane changes slowing and or accelerating, lane changes slowing speeding then changing. L or R turns with decel followed by accel then stop and go. Turning it on just a second before turning and so on. I just could not make it confuse itself. It just flat friggin works like a well trained operator would turn the signal off. Only complaint is if you signal and fail to do a turn it will continue to flash, I have not found a way to cancel an errant signal other than to do a slight lane change. When I say lane change it does not have to be a full lane change, simply veering inside your own lane will turn signal off, It will time out and I THINK it times out sooner if there is no change in velocity but can't confirm this just yet.

I am totally jazzed about this product, I use my signal for everything now, lane changes in country when no one is around. In town and on highway for lane changes so on. It is just so easy, push the indicator button and know full well it will be cancelled when the maneuver is completed.

From a safety perspective I know we should cancel our own signal but-
Forget ONE time and have someone turn if front of you or otherwise misinterpret your intention and you are in a reactionary emergency situation.
In town or when corrections to your intended route turning off signal is an extra step to remember and is a distraction from focusing on riding.

Removing or changing my hand position in traffic to reach the button is distracting to me, I cover the clutch and brake levers at all times, dirt bike riding experience there. On a side note I have modded my levers so I can rotate down the levers as well as the turn signal assy switch by grinding off the tabs and knobs. Makes easier to use thumb and fingers positioning is improved. I am very sensitive to lever position as a woods racer on a small bore bike racing in against 450's and such. You have to use the clutch and brakes simultaneous to keep the engine singing.

I don't often post my opinions on products but felt others may want to look into this product. Installation was pretty easy, just tapped into the wire harness from the switch. I did use the supplied bullet connectors but would recommend simply cutting and splicing as it makes a much smaller bundle to conceal. Mounting the actual device ( it requires somewhat horizontal mount for sensors to work) was a piece of cake. There is some cast bracket the holds the front tupperware stuff that is machined AL with a cutout same width as box, I just velcro mounted it there. Easy.
FlatTop likes this.

2015 FJR A
Pile of dirt bikes, mostly KTM's and a few Vintage
Boats n Stuff
What makes your life worth living?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:52 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Could you post a pic or two of your install? I know of one other Gen3 install. For Gen2 you can make a harness to use the OEM connectors (13-way).

Here are two documented installs.http://www.fjriders.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2378

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer (sold)
2009 CBF1000A - Sienna Red
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 04:38 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Really cool product. I would love to see it come in a little cheaper otherwise I might jump. Thanks for the review.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

I actually was on the list when trials were in the works. When it Finally came out....... The fact that it was not plug and play with harness (I know how to splice but in this day and age it should not be necessary for a quality product) and the fact that the fairing nose was necessary to be removed, I decided , I did not need it that badly

Glad to hear it works well. I have worked on being vigilante with the cancellation thing and ALMOST (I know) never forget anymore.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"

Last edited by Little Joe; 05-24-2017 at 10:19 PM. Reason: here vs hear
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

This is my install on my 2014, I only had one photo that turned out.... long story.... basically, there is a 10-way black connector that has all the signal wires, per the instructions I cut 3 wires and used waterproof positaps. Smaller ones are for the handlebar side, larger ones for the wire harness side. Red and black are power which I hooked up later. The module is sitting there waiting for me to tie strap it onto the bracket I made. It is supposed to sit horizontal and pointing forward.

I had to disassemble the left handlebar switch, and remove the cruise and turn signal switch to get the foam pieces in. Once you activate, the foam pieces center the switch so it is cancelled, and the electronics take over. I put a little glue on one side of the foam so it wouldn't fall out by gravity. HInt, ensure the heated grip wire is removed from the bottom of the left switch before taking it apart.

As Baddog said, my friends found similar results, can't seem to fool the thing. I haven't had a chance to road test mine yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070811 (Medium).JPG (219.7 KB, 182 views)

Ray
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:24 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have just ordered an received one for by bike, my son built the harness while it was being shipped and we intend to plug and play next weekend. This is the one feature we missed from our BMW K1200RS, but not for much much longer.

Tony Doms, Tauranga, New Zealand
2008 FJR1300AX - Two Tone Silver and Blue
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 05:36 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Road tested for 2000 miles this week, works well. For lane changes, best anticipate the lane change ahead of time and engage the signals while the bike is vertical. Doesn't work well when engaged last minute with any kind of lean.

I'm liking it!
Tony Doms likes this.

Ray
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
Road tested for 2000 miles this week, works well. For lane changes, best anticipate the lane change ahead of time and engage the signals while the bike is vertical. Doesn't work well when engaged last minute with any kind of lean.

I'm liking it!
We will install next weekend and need to get prepared, can your remember the size of the replacement allan head bolt you used to secure the unit.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 09:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

We have installed the STS device on the bike, everything seemed to test OK, except upon installing the foam pieces to the flasher switch units we find that the switch does not make contact and therefore the system is not actuating. We have used the smaller size foams. Any advice would be appreciated.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 10:09 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Tony, I posted up on FJRiders for you.....
Tony Doms likes this.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page