Power Commander V - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Power Commander V

I had a brain fart the other day, and ordered myself a Power Commander V. Who knows why,
because my bike is running beautifully, and I really don't need the extra power, but I
have this curiosity to see how this auto tune thing works. I ordered it from the Bike
Doctor here in Perth, and the Australian importer, because Dynojet won't warrant or support
the units if you bypass their dealers.

It turns out that I appear to be the first person in Aus to have bought one through the
local importer, so I am breaking new ground here. They had them in stock, so I got the
units overnight after I placed the order. I spent today doing the mechanical installation,
and tomorrow I will re-assemble the bike, program the units, and see how it works, good I
hope.

The first problem I had, was that my computer with Windows Vista, absolutely refused
to load the program disc. I switched off the firewalls, virus protection, user account
control, and everything else I could think of, but it wouldn't have it. Fortunately, I have
and old computer with Windows XP, and that took the disc no worries, so I will use that.

The main connectors into the EFI. I also had to block off the air injection pipes into the
exhaust system. When I make up some proper plugs, I will be able to get rid of all those
air pipes and air solenoid on top of the motor.

The hole in the exhaust where the old O2 sensor went.

New O2 sensor installed. I had to file that bracket to make room for the cable.

New connector for the O2 sensor, ugly great thing.

Units in the tool tray.

Power cable for the Autotune unit, spliced into the tail light circuit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Very much looking forward to your report.

Everybody wants to go to heaven; nobody wants to die.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Well, I'm happy to report that the thing works, and does exactly what they say it will do, though not how I thought it would work.
I thought it would take whatever map it had in memory and permanently modify it using data from the O2 sensor, and thus gradually learn the bike's characteristics and generate a new map. But that's not what happens at all. It's a completely dynamic system, it simply corrects the existing map as required without recording what it has done, it is working all the time. It's fascinating to watch it working, you can run the engine with the computer connected and see it happening in real time. For those of you with TPS problems, you can see the TPS working in real time, you would know instantly if you had a TPS problem.

I had the whole job wrapped up and done by 10.30 this morning, and took the bike for a short ride, only 67Km through the suburbs, so I couldn't do any high speed work, but so far I am fairly pleased. As I said before, the bike was running well anyway, but there has been some improvement. The throttle response seems crisper, and there is less engine vibration at high revs. I kept an eye on the average fuel flow on the bikes instrument, and it seems relatively unchanged, perhaps slightly better, but it is too soon to tell.

If you ask, was the improvement worth $1000, I would have to say no, but I did this as a learning exercise, and that was worth it.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie
Well, I'm happy to report that the thing works, and does exactly what they say it will do, though not how I thought it would work.
I thought it would take whatever map it had in memory and permanently modify it using data from the O2 sensor, and thus gradually learn the bike's characteristics and generate a new map. But that's not what happens at all. It's a completely dynamic system, it simply corrects the existing map as required without recording what it has done, it is working all the time. It's fascinating to watch it working, you can run the engine with the computer connected and see it happening in real time. For those of you with TPS problems, you can see the TPS working in real time, you would know instantly if you had a TPS problem.

I had the whole job wrapped up and done by 10.30 this morning, and took the bike for a short ride, only 67Km through the suburbs, so I couldn't do any high speed work, but so far I am fairly pleased. As I said before, the bike was running well anyway, but there has been some improvement. The throttle response seems crisper, and there is less engine vibration at high revs. I kept an eye on the average fuel flow on the bikes instrument, and it seems relatively unchanged, perhaps slightly better, but it is too soon to tell.

If you ask, was the improvement worth $1000, I would have to say no, but I did this as a learning exercise, and that was worth it.
Thanks very much for the detals. The Moty tuner has been on my radar for a while, but I haven't been able to afford it. I was hoping the PC unit would be cheaper, but it sounds like when all's said/done, they both cost around the same.

post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
High-G FJR Junkie!

Don't forget that I am talking Aussie dollars, the units will be much cheaper in the States.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Don't forget that I am talking Aussie dollars, the units will be much cheaper in the States.
'kay. Thanks for that. I'll check the prices in $US.

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:25 AM
Farkle Trainee

My brother brought 4 Power Commander V's back from the states, real good prices over there.

I fitted mine on August 23, and it was on an 06 model

The V is only supposed to go on 2009 and up model bikes, but it will go on an 06 ~ 08.

It does work very well, makes the old USB PC3 very agricultural.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Thanks for the report on the PC V. IMO the beauty of this system is that any future modification you make to the exhaust, intake etc will be compensated as long as the new exhaust has O2 sensor threads. Eliminates the need to pay for multiple dyno tuning runs. So the PC V continues to pay dividends.

I wish they made the V for the Gen 1 bikes.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to FJR Steve Send a message via Yahoo to FJR Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
My brother brought 4 Power Commander V's back from the states, real good prices over there.

I fitted mine on August 23, and it was on an 06 model

The V is only supposed to go on 2009 and up model bikes, but it will go on an 06 ~ 08.

It does work very well, makes the old USB PC3 very agricultural.
What about warranty Ross? Is it no longer an issue?

Here for a good time, not a long time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Administrator
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR Steve
What about warranty Ross? Is it no longer an issue?
Yes it is but......

They cost me $AUS206 each and at a guess they will be around the $600 mark to buy here through a proper dealer, but that's just a guess.

Must ad they were purchased through a wholesaler friend of my Brother.

I sold 3 of them for $450 each so I made $732 which meant my "V" was free plus $526 profit.

I also sold my USBPC3 for $300.

If anyone is going to fit one it makes a huge difference if the "Octopus" is completely removed.

Mine was removed way back when i fitted the USBPC3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page