FJR Owners Forum banner

Cell phone holder

35K views 130 replies 63 participants last post by  R!der 
#1 ·
I'd like to use my cell phone for nav. What cell phone holder are you guys using? thanks

#5 · (Edited)
I do that on my motorcycle, and it works great. I've had no problem with slippage. I do carry it horizontally so the grips are above and below; I could see how it might jolt out gripped from the sides.

Next half of the question .... how do you mount the ram ball inside the vehicle? Such the suction cup doohickey hold OK on the glass?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Never mind. I thought I was in an RV forum. :|

Reactions: wiggy1
#41 ·
My son has an Xmount on his Honda Shadow. I stuck my phone in it to try it out - No way i would trust it!
I just ordered one of these Slipgrips. I love that they list applications according to your phone with the case you have. I also will be using a RAM ball mount and have always used them !
Thanks Steve :smile2:
ps. Could you elaborate on the "swivel" unit please.

#8 ·
I promise you, eventually it WILL fall out, and I was a firm believer in the X-Grip.

When I did my 48/10 I ended up rating states by how many times my Galaxy S4 jumped out of the X-Grip (it was tethered.

Arizona won, with four times. They seem to think that road maintenance comprises of putting up signs saying "Rough Surface", then forgetting about it.

#16 ·
Not only do I forget what forum I'm on, but I sometimes forget that not everyone keeps their phone in a synthetic rubber case.

I have an iPhone 6 in a synthetic rubber case, and that case probably helps the X-Grip hold it securely. I have hit some seriously rough roads with it and gone tens of thousands of miles, but I've since gone to a dedicated GPS on the FJR.

#9 ·
I use a Ram X-Mount, and lost my phone after two successive, excessive heat bumps on the interstate. Felt something bounce off my thigh and under 18 wheels. It was time for a new phone anyway.

I still use the Ram X-mount but added the Ram X grip tether to wrap around the corners of the phone. Fantastic! When I park, lift up the securing corners and the phone comes off the X-mount. Only $4 bucks. If the phone comes off now, I wouldn't want to be on the bike when that happens. Phone is now part of the handlebars.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=x+grip+ram+mount+tether

#10 ·
I've criticized the RAM X-Grip as not suitable for motorcycles, something I still believe.

However, I have to qualify my remarks to be fair. I did not have that rubber tether, and had I had it I might still be happy with the mount.

To be fair to me, the mount does not come with that item, nor does it come with warnings about extra precautions being necessary.

The two together would probably work though.

#11 ·
I've been using the X-grip for 40,000 miles. But I use the rubber tether for two reasons- one, little rubber feet won't 100% hold a phone in in rough conditions, and that's with a rubber coated otterbox. It has no chance of retaining a naked iphone for long. Too slippery. Two, it is easy with the x-grip for user error to come into play. It looks like the phone is 100 percent seated, but it's not and walks out. So I have no complaints with x-grip. But when I install the dash I have ordered, I will probably look for something along the lines of what Das Bracken uses, if it'll fit an iphone/otterbox. I use ram balls and ram arms, and plan to continue to do so on the dash, drilling holes for ram ball/diamond mounts.

#13 ·
It's worse with the iphone 7, which doesn't even have a home button. It's a touch sensitive spot that mimicks the function and feel of a button. I use Oakley or wiley-x pilot gloves, which are touchscreen friendly. For winter gloves, there are a couple of options, drops and wraps, both wear out fairly quickly under regular use. Both can be reapplied pretty easily. Some have sewn metallic thread into the fingertips of their gloves, but I've never tried it.

#14 · (Edited)
#74 ·
I use Tech-Mount with a universal pin mount. I drilled a hole in my riser block and threaded it. I did not like the X-Grip due to stories of people losing their phones and also the possibility of interfering with the volume buttons on the side of the iphone.

<a href="http://" target="_blank">

<a href="http://" target="_blank">
Where did you find this pin mount?? I like your set up in conjunction with the heli riser that is pre tapped.

#17 ·
I use a Ram Mount Quick Grip. Side posts are adjustable and screw down tight. Bottom hooks are stationary, top hooks are spring loaded. After many reported X-Grip failure I decided on this one. No problems yet ;).

#57 ·
How are the top spring loaded hooks expanded? Do you simply push the mounted device upward to stretch the spring? One handed operation or do you have to hold it with one and deploy with the other? Is the spring real tight or just enough to hold it in? This looks like a pretty secure connection as the hooks at top and bottom are curved.

#18 ·
I've always used a tether and never had a device fly off. Seems to be the thing to use no matter the phone mount unless it's secured by a pouch or duck tape.

#25 ·
I agree with Steve. When the X-mount first came out I don't think the tether was available. I've had mine several years and I did indeed lose a phone while riding my V-strom on a fairly rough road. I just ordered a tether and I believe it will solve the problem...as would some strategically placed strong rubber bands.

Harry

#29 ·
What is the tech mount all about? Why is it better than the x grip? Wouldn't you also use a tether of some sort with the tech mount? I have a zumo 660 and have always tethered it as well unless it was in a TT mount. Honestly, is there a real benefit to using a tech mount over an x grip? I'm in N. California and my experance with these pot hole poorly maintained under funded roads is that they prepare you for off road riding and everything is strapped down unless you don't mind losing a few more things.

#32 · (Edited)
Tech mount is very nice, main draw back I found is the size - it is not deep enough to hold a Zumo 660 (it will however hold a thinner non-mc specific GPS) and I no longer wanted to subject my phone to the elements. Because of these reasons I switched to the X-mount (which works great with the Zumo 660) which works incredibly well in conjunction with the tether as long as you are careful of the volume,power buttons etc. on the side when mounting. I have since gone to the dedicated powered mount that came with the Zumo mounted to the helibar center location and it's the best option by far of the 3 IMO

Side note, I do think the X-mount with the tether is more secure than the Tech mount, but I never had a problem with the Tech mount in terms of security and it has since relocated to my adult size Razor scooter and did not let go of the phone during a pretty good wreck when I was racing my boys...

#30 ·
The Techmount uses a smaller 17mm ball. I believe Ram ball is 1 inch.

The all-aluminum techmount bits are very solid and the Techgripper springs are quite strong. I have to use both hands to open it up and insert my phone. A hurricane or tornado might blow it out but probably not. The only drawback is cost.

#33 ·
After seeing the Techmount I checked it out since I am going to need some other RAM mounts and want to keep it consistent. The smaller more common RAM balls are 9/16 (.56) and 1 inch. Decided to go with the SlipGrip Mr. Bracken Listed on the first page as the 1 inch RAM ball is one of their options.

The 9/16 Ram ball converts to 14.224 mm not sure if the 17mm Techmount will clamp down on that tight enough.

http://www.rammount.com/components

Ball and socket size
+

A size 9/16" (Holds up to 1 lb) (6)

B size 1" (Holds up to 5 lbs) (317)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.