Summer time protective wear - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Summer time protective wear

Ok i thought i would start a new thread for people to make comments on the summer gear they have tried and how they like it. Since I purchase my last Cortech things really seem to have changed.

I have been contemplating a new set of leathers and also some summer gear. Any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

Depends how hot.

Over 23c, I wear a "string vest with armour". It's basically a jacket full of tiny holes. Has armour for elbows and shoulders and I wear a back protector under it.

Between 10 and 23, I wear my normal gortex jacket - with or without the inner (depends on the temp).

Between 4 & 10, I add my heated waistcoat - but turned off

Below 4c, I turn on the heated waistcoat.

Below -2c, I take the car

Alan

07 Farkles:
Too many to fit into this signature space.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I have a Vanson Ventilator jacket that I plan to wear this summer. It flows a bunch of air, has lots of protection and looks pretty good. I have rode with it a few times this winter and with the liner it has kept me pretty warm down to 35 degrees. With the liner out it is almost wide open. Should be nice in the warm weather. Typical Vanson quality. It is all textile.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

I can't recommend MOTOPORT enough...It's an air mesh Kevlar riding suit w built in armour....It's even certified for use in competition racing. I've wear it during the middle of Summer in 100+ dg days and wear it in conjuction with an optional liner, during winter..It'll will keep you warm down to well below freezing..Yes, it's not only easy to wash as you don't remove the armour, but a breeze to get in and out of.

This outfit has my personal signature of approval...as you'd have to put a gun to my head to take it away from me...

Check it out here:

http://motoport.com/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

"A deep unwavering belief is a sure sign you're missing something..."
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 04:13 AM
Farkle Trainee

I used a full Kevlar mesh suit with Dainese Safety Jacket, back protector and body armour under the suit when I ran speedway dirt bikes. I had a number of get offs that would have seen me in a hospital ward without the safety gear. I just dusted myself off and walked away.

The 3/4 length jacket / pants combinations shown on Moport's site do look right, but if you do end up with your butt on the road / track the last thing you want is for the pants and jacket to separate and expose the vulnerable bits underneath. A lot of low percentage stuff can happen during an "unscripted riding event". Consequently I believe it is important to be able to strongly attach any jacket to pants that are worn as a primary safety layer. An overall one piece kevlar mesh suit provides great levels of protection but for general road riding perhaps the appearance and clothing logistics make a jacket / pant combination that can be securely joined (and separated) a reasonable compromise.

Thanks for the links SC.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenz
...the last thing you want is for the pants and jacket to separate and expose the vulnerable bits underneath.
Thanks Lenz,
Fortunately my "bits" dont hang that low

But seriously, i think the 2 piece is the only way for me. I dont have track days, (no tracks within 150 mi. and no money anyway), if i did i would get a 1 piece lether, period! Why? look at all the great bike race crash vids; they are all wearing leather and as long as there is no impact (other than skipping along the ground) they invariably get up and run back to the bike.

The real question for me is whether to do perforated leather or a kevi. I already have poly but it is a dark and heavy. its like wearing a solar panel. I just dont get black
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 04:13 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Good points, Lenz.

I know you're never SUPPOSED to wear mesh gear, but I do when it gets really hot. It's very comfortable.

Perforated leather with good CE armor, that zips together is said to be the best for hot weather... it's pricey.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver
Perforated leather with good CE armor, that zips together is said to be the best for hot weather... it's pricey.

Well of course, money is no object on a professors budget... in the sixth poorest state in the contry.... where teacher pay ranks 48th in the US.
but hey at least i dont have to buy shoes for the kids for school
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

I'm not sure if the Kevlar suit I've got is "mesh" or whatever. When does a closely woven textile become a mesh? It does allow airflow though. Kevlar is constructed of a very low water absorption synthetic but is also very capable of "wicking" or drawing away moisture from the body and increasing the cooling effect as sweating occurs.

I don't know about the melt point of Kevlar - this is a significant issue for road riding and sealed track racing. The issue for dirt safety is impact and abrasion resistance. If the combination of very high melt point and high abrasion resistance is available plus "breathability" then all that remains is THE PRICE.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-01-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Yeah I read up on the kevlar that SC brought up. it is spendy and the the suits are a bit goofy looking. I think they are made to fit over cloths for commuters so they are loose. They are also about the same as leathers in price (you know within a couple hundred depending on brand an sofourth).

So i am leaning towards the perforated leather suit. I am thinking about the Joe rocket Supermoto series:
jacket: http://www.joerocket.com/products/pr...roducts_id=548
pants: http://www.joerocket.com/products/pr...roducts_id=549

you can get them online for a couple hundred less than MSRP and there are closeouts too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page