Summer time protective wear - Page 4 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I prefer aerostich. I find Dariens very, very comfortable. But Iím not going to wear much of anything when itís really hot. For long rides and trips in the heat, I prefer a firstgear mesh jacket or Olympia airglide jacket and airglide pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
OK... I just had time to look over the Motoport web site.

Concerns:

1) I've never heard of them before.

2) The look and feel of the site is very '1989.'

3) They make all of their claims as unverifiable absolutes, such as, "We are the best motorcycle apparel site on the Internet. We have a large selection of products at the lowest prices including one of the largest lines of new age fabrics."

Sorry, but my previously, much-discussed, 'bullshit sensor' begins sounding when someone calls himself, 'the best motorcycle apparel site on the Internet.'

4) They use industry terminology, buzz-words like 'kevlar' to make implications of the make-up of the clothing. Kevlar is a synthetic fiber. It can be as wimpy as a cotton ball or stiff as a snow ski, depending on how it's used in manufacture.

5) I feel that IF the clothing/gear was as great as they say it is... people in the industry would talk about it. Motoport would have favorable quotes from Don Canet and/or John Burns, about the product. Some old, washed up racers would give it a favorable mention... somewhere. I haven't seen that.

- - -

Please DON'T take this post as an attack of the Motoport product. It may be great, GREAT stuff! I just can't verify Starcruiser's experience with all of the forms of gear out there.

I think most riders like me (and I haven't been riding as many years as many of the guys here) have two closets full of various gear and leathers. I have enough gear to outfit half of the board members here... from Joe Rocket, to Aerostich, Yamaha and Honda factory apparel, various track leathers with various busted zippers... to old school Belstaff oil-cloth schtuff. Boots... from motocross, to sport-touring, to the latest track boots. Alllzaym sayyen here - - I THINK it's impossible to say any one piece of gear is infallible... I've just had too many pieces that worked so well for some rides, and not-so-much for other rides. Your mileage may vary, and it most likely will.

All that said, Andy Goldfine, and his 'Aerostich' gear is known by almost everyone involved with sport touring. I don't know any sport-touring rider that isn't very familiar with their product. Their gear has been crash tested by thousands of riders, and I don't know of ANY experienced road warrior that doesn't admit, general superiority of Aerostich stuff for hardcore sport-touring and adventure riding.

If I had to ride from here to Alaska, and could only take ONE suit. There would be no question. Aerostich.

You really should look at their web site for insights before choosing gear:
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html

Do I wear an Aerostich suit on every ride? No. I wish it were more comfortable.

I'm convinced it's the safest gear I can wear, besides a full blown PowerRangers race suit... which SUCKS for use on the street.

The evaporative gear that David1300 mentions, can be worn under just about anything. I've heard many happy reports of that, too.

Best.

W8NONU likes this.

No commercials. No dictators.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 FJR1300ES Stealth Model

IBA# 69560
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 04:07 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
1 post.... dead thread???? one concludes one works for the company!!!!!

- Jim,
AMA and MSTA member
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:38 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Ah. It popped up in active threads. You might be right Jim....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA# 69560

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:25 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Here in Florida heat Ill only wear a mesh jacket with built in armor.

2006 fjr1300 50k silver. Iron butt fuel tank, Led pods, Corbin heated seat, all the touring fixings.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:26 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lumberg View Post
Ah. It popped up in active threads. You might be right Jim....
that’s where I clicked on to get here.

2006 fjr1300 50k silver. Iron butt fuel tank, Led pods, Corbin heated seat, all the touring fixings.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:29 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Wow Bill, you brought back this zombie from 2007!

And Mr. Everything-in-Motorcycling, Starcruiser himself. Haha!

I still have the same Aerostich suit though. LOL. (and it's still hot)

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Petey, Mack and Rock again. Never forgotten. * *
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:40 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I canít take credit. That was mike greenwhatever that performed the resurrection.

IBA# 69560
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

I wear a Klim Induction jacket and Scorpion Cover Pro jeans. Here in Savannah GA nothing will keep you cool, but I like the protections and the jacket flows a lot of air.

Jerry Holland
2014 FJR1300ES

2013 Moto Guzzi Griso
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 02:23 AM
Farkle Trainee

Since the thread does seem to have new life, I'll offer up the item I picked up just a couple weeks ago, my first summer/mesh-type jacket...the change and relief from my heavy leather jacket has been great. I bought a Alpinestars T-GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...yABEgI4pvD_BwE
A great jacket!

2016 FJR1300A
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 11:39 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
Since the thread does seem to have new life, I'll offer up the item I picked up just a couple weeks ago, my first summer/mesh-type jacket...the change and relief from my heavy leather jacket has been great. I bought a Alpinestars T-GP Plus R v2 Air Jacket:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...yABEgI4pvD_BwE
A great jacket!
I was looking at this exact jacket a few days ago lol. Wish it had a orange accents version to match my rfsr but red will suffice. So for Florida traffic should be flowing enough or is it a small flow mesh. Had a joe rocket that had tons of flow in high school

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page