Alarms; YM 600 Model

FJR Owners - The independent, international website for Yamaha FJR1300 and FJ enthusiasts: General FJR Chat: Alarms; YM 600 Model
By Jgriffin on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 12:39 am:  View Jgriffin's Profile Search for other posts by Jgriffin Edit this post

Dear Friends Just took delivery of a 2003 FJR (a)
I had a YM600 alarm fitted by the Dealer and it seems pretty good. I had asked that any "bits" left over might be saved and given to myself. I was looking in the packaging and found a small wiring assembly with a large diode in-line as well as another small wiring loom with a magnetic switch, I'm wondering did the Mechanic forget to fit these or are they for some other Model. This particular alarm is recommended for the 2003 FJR, R6 and DragStar Cruiser only. Both items are listed in the Alarm Owners Manual but does not say which Models they are to be used with.
Would be gratful for any info.
Regards
John Griffin 

By Vapaul on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 04:27 pm:  View Vapaul's Profile Search for other posts by Vapaul Edit this post

Just a guess, but for bikes without an electrical (whatever), they would need to use a magnet switch to detect (something).

Since the FJR is electric (everything), perhaps they just didn't need the piece.

Was the shop kind enough to leave you the installation docs? 

By Peos on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:26 pm:  View Peos's Profile Search for other posts by Peos Edit this post

John
I have also alarm YM 600 on my FJR 03 (European model). The magnetic switch (2 parts) should be erected under the seat in order to detect if someone is trying to open the seat, protection against sabotage of the main unit.. The read diode light should be erected in the front so you can see if and when the alarm is armed. Go back to the dealer and let they install the alarm in a proper way.

Peo 

By Peos on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 07:35 pm:  View Peos's Profile Search for other posts by Peos Edit this post

John
Probably you know that the alarm movement sensor has 8 different levels of sensitivity, which can be set via the Remote Control. These 8 levels fall into 2 main categories: HIGH sensitivity (basically intended for bikes), LOW sensitivity (basically intended for scooters); within each group 4 different settings are possible.
At delivery my was set at LOW and the lowest of the 4 groups at LOW. I have re-set the sensitivity to HIGH and group 2 and Im very satisfied with that.

Peo 

By Jgriffin on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 08:55 pm:  View Jgriffin's Profile Search for other posts by Jgriffin Edit this post

Dear Friends
Thanks for the reply's on the Alarms. Just a couple of points to clarify; The Dealer only had
the User Manual he's waiting on an Installation Manual- I know what your probably thinking !!
As to the diode assembly I should have pointed out
that it was NOT the LED (alarm armed) indication
light but another Diode assembly about 25mmx4mm
in size with two connectors and two brown wires.
Has anyone fitted the magnets to the side cases or
Top Box ?? I'm wondering is there drilling involved ??

THANKS

Regards

John Griffin 

By Anon on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:02 am:  View Anon's Profile Search for other posts by Anon Edit this post

Peo,
Can you describe how you set the sensitivity of the alarm via the remote control? Many thanks.

John,
The Diode is only used if you also want to connect the alarm output to the bikes horns as well.

Steve 

By Peos on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:39 am:  View Peos's Profile Search for other posts by Peos Edit this post

OK here we go..
1. Start with the system disarmed (ignition ON)
2. Turn the ignition OFF and wait about 15 sec until the alarm LED illuminates for about 2 sec
3. While the alarm LED is illuminating press the right push button on Remote Control, the LED starts to flash quickly a few seconds.
4. Immediately turn the ignition ON, the LED extinguishes
5. Now press the left push button on Remote Control, to select the HIGH sensitivity category or the right push button to select the LOW sensitivity category.
The unit will bleep ONCE if it was previously set to LOW or THREE times if it was set to HIGH, (this is meant to give you the opportunity how the system was set)
6. At this stage the alarm LED will start cycling through 4 different flashing frequencies, the quicker the flashing=the higher sensitivity
7. Turn the ignition OFF when you come to the sensitivity level you wish to select, the turn indicators flash to confirm the success of the operation.
Good luck 

By Anon on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:15 pm:  View Anon's Profile Search for other posts by Anon Edit this post

Peo, Many thanks for that. That is what I thought I had tried previously a couple of times (though I don't have the original instructions in front of me at the moment). I will try again tonight. At least if it doesn't work now, I'll be fairly sure there is something wrong with the alarm.
Steve 

By Peos on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:19 pm:  View Peos's Profile Search for other posts by Peos Edit this post

Steve, you must be very quick when turning the ignition ON after item 3. I had to try a lot of times before I got the correct timing.
Best luck
Peo 

By Sheppy on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 12:24 pm:  View Sheppy's Profile Search for other posts by Sheppy Edit this post

I've just completed installation of the YM600 Alarm. The diode pack goes onto the turn signal relay situated underneath the instrument panel. Its function is to prevent the system being tampered with by feeding 12V backwards into the indicators.
Cheers
Sheppy

PS I reckon the Alarm is shipped on the lowest sensitivity as mine isn't very sensitive at all! Will be changing that bit very soon as the instructions say High and level 3 

By Jgriffin on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 08:59 pm:  View Jgriffin's Profile Search for other posts by Jgriffin Edit this post

Steve,Sheepy, Peo

The mystery deepens !! Is this an either this or that situation ?? I mean Horns or indicators ??
My Dealer is to have some information for me tomorrow (wed 21st)I'm very curious as to what he'll have to say. I'm going to send an e-mail to
the manufacturer in Italy just to see if I can get some sort of response, I cant speake the language so might get a bit difficult.
Regards

John G. 

By Rocketdoc on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 03:12 am:  View Rocketdoc's Profile Search for other posts by Rocketdoc Edit this post

I have created a wish list for accessories for my hopeful July delivery '04 and the top of the list is an alarm, I would like one with a remote that I can wear that will inform me that it has gone off. Could I get list of such systems available and your recommendations. Other add ons would be a front fender extension, sliders, and a topbox. 

By Sheppy on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 05:15 pm:  View Sheppy's Profile Search for other posts by Sheppy Edit this post

Ref the indicator question. Can't see how you'd change that as the alarm connects into 2 existing blanks on the wiring harness, so how or for that matter why you'd use the horn baffles me. The diode is a simple unplug a connector and place the diode in series with it type affair and the alarm will work without it.

Having had the alarm for a week I'd say I like its very piercing alarm and the fact that it works off the key. What I don't like is when you turn it off with the keyfob its only for a minute before it rearms which is a bit short when I'm faffing around with the contents of my topbox. 

By Jgriffin on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:18 pm:  View Jgriffin's Profile Search for other posts by Jgriffin Edit this post

Hi Sheepy

I pin pointed from the Work Shop Manual the location of the Indicator Relay, my question is to attach the diode assembly for the YM 600 alarm must I dis-assemble the fairing etc etc etc etc
to plug in the assembly ??? or can I (I'm hoping)
gain access through the panel located behind the Windshield ??

THANKS again for the help

John G. 

By Jgriffin on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:30 pm:  View Jgriffin's Profile Search for other posts by Jgriffin Edit this post

to Rocketdoc

Order paint protection items from Tankslapper, Rad Guard,Shrooms and possibly alternator cover from BikeJohnny, Tank Cover/Bag from Baglux, Nuvo Headlight covers from M&P, something to "cover"
ignition keys, Fender extender front from ???,
also consider a Hugger(see archive)

Regards 

By Sheppy on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 02:30 pm:  View Sheppy's Profile Search for other posts by Sheppy Edit this post

Hi John,

you can simply remove the inner panel from the throttle side of the fairing. I removed both inners but I didn't know exactly where the relay was situated. Once the panels are removed its a fiddle but you can slip the diode in place, and I then added a couple of cable ties to prevent it rattling. Once you look up into the back of the clocks IIRC it can only be fitted in one place.

HTH

Sheppy 

By Jgriffin on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:10 pm:  View Jgriffin's Profile Search for other posts by Jgriffin Edit this post

Hi Sheepy

THANKS ever so much for the quick response
I had sort of set a side a couple of hours
for Friday am to do the job but now I can
enjoy riding the bike

THANKS again

John G. 

By Sheppy on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 03:16 pm:  View Sheppy's Profile Search for other posts by Sheppy Edit this post

John,
enjoy your ride! To anybody else thats reading this the worse part of the Alarm install is running the LED wire in, this is routed behind the side panel, through the frame, under the tank, out through the front of the bike, back and round to below the LED. Once you work out how your going to do that its just a matter of drilling the hole for the LED and clipping everything into place. The Diode can be installed either before or after the rest of it. One thing to remember is the alarm will become active once you plug it into its own wiring loom and won't be disarmed until you plug it into the bike, and without the seat on its very loud!!!! Also the sensitivity seems to be on minimum as shipped which is next to useless.
HTH somebody
Sheppy 

By Jgriffin on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 02:21 am:  View Jgriffin's Profile Search for other posts by Jgriffin Edit this post

Hi Sheepy
Got that Diode Assembly fitted, was a bit fiddly
but in any event its in place. I was wondering how did you come know where to fit the thing, were you luckey enough to get the actual fitting
instructions !! I paid a visit to my Dealer and he says he's still waiting for a reply from the Importer !! On another subject do you get reflections on the screen when its highest point,
I get a reflection which is a bit annoying and I was trying to come up with an idea to stop it.
Any ideas ???
Regards
John G. 

By Sheppy on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 07:53 am:  View Sheppy's Profile Search for other posts by Sheppy Edit this post

Hi John,
Glad you got it sorted. I got my info from a call to the dealer. Haven't ridden it at night yet so can't comment on the reflections although TBH I won't be riding it that far until I sort the heat and screen out. Currently waiting for delivery of a Laminar lip which was shipped to the UK last Friday.
Regards,
Sheppy 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation