Right Side Heat Fix

FJR Owners - The independent, international website for Yamaha FJR1300 and FJ enthusiasts: General FJR Chat: Right Side Heat Fix
By Cromeit on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 03:30 am:  View Cromeit's Profile Search for other posts by Cromeit Edit this post

Here it is... RIGHT SIDE HEAT FIX.

Sorry for the late post on this but pictures tell a thousand words...

PCH - Pacific Coast Highway - Three-day trip.
PCH

This mod requires only two parts...
1) 2.25"X2.25"X42" open cell foam (McMaster-Carr Supply 30100 Charcoal K26758)
2) 1 can spray adhesive (3M Super 77)

Remove right panel...
1 Right Panel

Second picture right panel...
2 Right Panel

Cut foam like the V groove, glue and position...
3 V Groove

Cut foam to fill gap between the factory foam blocks...
4 Foam Fill Gap

Glue and position as in picture...
5 Glue And Position

Then cut additional block, glue and position on top of the gap block you just did in the previous step...
6 Additional Layer

With leftover foam, stuff into frame gaps...
7 Frame Gap 1
8 Frame Gap 2

Additional foam should be stuffed above the clutch housing also...

With the two mods you know have tamed this fire breathing beast.

Cromeit 

By Mcarp on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 05:43 pm:  View Mcarp's Profile Search for other posts by Mcarp Edit this post

Cromeit-

I tried this last year, but found the foam would retain water for weeks at a time, even under heavy use and hot weather.
It was starting to discolor the items it touched. Just an FYI. 

By Sportscout on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 06:04 pm:  View Sportscout's Profile Search for other posts by Sportscout Edit this post

Cromeit,

What about the front (inner) panel? Leave it or take it out? 

By Nmsu on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 06:17 pm:  View Nmsu's Profile Search for other posts by Nmsu Edit this post

I did Cromeit's left mod and it worked great, actually better than I would have ever expected. I used a piece of Moose heat shield instead of the aluminum though. But many thanks to Cromet for working this out. On the right side I looked at removing the inner shield but it looks like it protects the radiator overflow tank. So I left it and stuffed the same frame opening on the right side with the Moose heat shield. That alone cut most of the right side heat and the bike still runs at 2 or 3 bars. Now I will try his latest right side mod and I'll bet all of the right side heat will be gone. Photo of the right side at:

http://www.zianet.com/bamford/fjrright.jpg 

By Cromeit on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 08:12 pm:  View Cromeit's Profile Search for other posts by Cromeit Edit this post

Sportscout -
Leave the right side panel in, removing the right side panel DOES NOT increase airflow because if you look the radiator overflow bottle and tubes block the air out the sides. Do the added foam to the right side in combination with the foam stuffing in the holes and 80% of the right side heat will be gone.

Mcarp -
Thanks for the information. Have washed my bike many times and found no problems with the mix of water and foam. I have used high quality foam and with the natural engine heat when riding, it must be drying out the foam. My right side foam install only contacts the frame between the factory foam blocks neither the Yamaha foam or mine has changed the color on the frame or items the foam touches. My right side mod if installed correctly, you should not be able to see the mod at all.

Thanks again all for your feedback on the right side heat fix.

Cromeit 

By Cromeit on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 08:32 pm:  View Cromeit's Profile Search for other posts by Cromeit Edit this post

Nmsu -
Nice picture of your blocking the right side frame vent. Tried that also with an aluminum fabricated part but found the hot air needs to vent from there. The right side intense heat is coming between the frame vent and the right cylinder space and the frame and the right side body panel. I found by first stuffing the foam between the frame and cylinder wall then doing the foam on the body panel along with stuffing the open spaces as indicated on the pictures, the hot air then cannot get to your inner leg and then is forced out through the frame vents and out the body panel vent on the right side. I think with your mode if you still get hot air try my mod and let me know what you think. Good work Nmsu on your mod additional input is always helpful.

Cromeit 

By Bobvail on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:26 pm:  View Bobvail's Profile Search for other posts by Bobvail Edit this post

I got the foam at Lowes Hardware, in case some don't have the M.C. stores nearby. Seems to work well on both sides. No problem with staining anything. 

By Vapaul on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:07 am:  View Vapaul's Profile Search for other posts by Vapaul Edit this post

You think your bike runs hot....

Hot Bike 

By Sportscout on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 01:48 am:  View Sportscout's Profile Search for other posts by Sportscout Edit this post

Three cheers for Cromeit and a big Bronx cheer for Yamaha for refusing to acknowledge that any heat problem exists. 

By Mcarp on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 05:15 pm:  View Mcarp's Profile Search for other posts by Mcarp Edit this post

Thanks, Cromeit. I was using el cheapo air conditioner foam. Sounds like you are using a higher density foam that does not retain water, or at least as much water. Could be the hot ticket. Nice job on the creative mods.

I'm not going to do this mod as it's getting colder in the midwest, but I may consider it next spring to test the "hacked fender" + foam stuffing mod. 

By Ramblin_Man on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:15 am:  View Ramblin_Man's Profile Search for other posts by Ramblin_Man Edit this post

Cromeit, get those patent attorneys moving. Next year when Yamaha installs your mod on the 05 production run you'll want to get your cut.

I was thinking of doing your mod but adding a slide gate set up so I can turn the heat back on when it gets cold. 

By Sportscout on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:30 am:  View Sportscout's Profile Search for other posts by Sportscout Edit this post

Get closed cell foam. It will not hold water. 

By Cromeit on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:21 am:  View Cromeit's Profile Search for other posts by Cromeit Edit this post

Ramblin_man -
Thanks; will be looking for it on the 05. To get the heat back just reinstall the inner black panel on the left side.  

By Sportscout on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 06:54 pm:  View Sportscout's Profile Search for other posts by Sportscout Edit this post

Cromeit,

Finally did the right side. The left side worked better. Now there is more heat on the right. Fortunately the weather is cooler now. 

By Cromeit on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 11:21 pm:  View Cromeit's Profile Search for other posts by Cromeit Edit this post

Sportscout -

Now that there is no left side heat the right side is more noticeable. Part of the right side mod that I forgot to mention is you need to stuff the foam in all the other openings on the right side like between the frame and transmission and in the areas around where the idle control knob is and that should help keep the air you feel less noticeable on the right side.

Cromeit 

By Wiff on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 09:53 pm:  View Wiff's Profile Search for other posts by Wiff Edit this post

In no time at all it'll be as cold as a witches tit and no one will know what all the fuss was about 

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

< <  back to previous page

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation