service schedules UK vs US - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 04:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

Default service schedules UK vs US

Hi all,

a kind reply in my other thread below, made me realize that the service schedules indicated for the european market and american markets are not the same.

Can anyone tell me the reason why? Are not all FJR`s produced at the same plant to the same specifications?

thanks

R.
Benhur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

I always thought they were the same as well tbh, I guess if they are not its to do with various weather and road conditions?
eurashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
FJR Top Gun

Really,it is a mystery...!
Old 12-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

My only guess would be different quality of gasoline???
ktmjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

that`s a thought...maybe different legal requirements too? or different marketing considerations....???
Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhur View Post
Hi all,

a kind reply in my other thread below, made me realize that the service schedules indicated for the european market and american markets are not the same.

Can anyone tell me the reason why? Are not all FJR`s produced at the same plant to the same specifications?

thanks

R.
I didn't realize they were different either. I don't see the thread you refer to. Would you care to elaborate?
Mr Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

In my previous thread I asked about the main fuse of the FJR and another user posted up the following link to answer my question
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sp...starthere.aspx

It turns out that the service schedule in the manual on this site (USA version) is different than the one I have in my manual (UK bike). the link to the UK manual is as per below

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/servic...ry=motorcycles

you will realise that while the european service intervals are based on 6000 miles, those for the USA bikes are based on 4000 mile intervals.

Moreover from what I can see
1. coolant changes are done every 3 years in europe while every 2 years in USA
2. suspension linkages are meant to be done every 12kmiles in europe while every 16kmiles in USA
3. final gear oil to be changed every 16k miles in the USA while every 6k miles in europe
4. swingarm bearings need to be repacked every 16k miles in USA while 30K miles in europe
5. steering head bearings need to be relubed every 16k miles in USA while 12k Miles in europe

R.

Last edited by Benhur; 12-17-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

weird- one would think these differences would have to with climatic conditions and or road surfaces. feel sure what ever conditions exist in the uk/eu. there is similar conditions somewhere in the us. wonder what the maintenance schedule is for africa? brazil?
old guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhur View Post
In my previous thread I asked about the main fuse of the FJR and another user posted up the following link to answer my question
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sp...starthere.aspx

It turns out that the service schedule in the manual on this site (USA version) is different than the one I have in my manual (UK bike). the link to the UK manual is as per below

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/servic...ry=motorcycles

you will realise that while the european service intervals are based on 6000 miles, those for the USA bikes are based on 4000 mile intervals.

Moreover from what I can see
1. coolant changes are done every 3 years in europe while every 2 years in USA
2. suspension linkages are meant to be done every 12kmiles in europe while every 16kmiles in USA
3. final gear oil to be changed every 16k miles in the USA while every 6k miles in europe
4. swingarm bearings need to be repacked every 16k miles in USA while 30K miles in europe
5. steering head bearings need to be relubed every 16k miles in USA while 12k Miles in europe

R.
Many thanks. That is strange. Maybe the extended mileage for oil and coolant changes are for environmental purposes -- less used fluids to dispose of. Maybe the suspension, swingarm, steering head, etc. have to do with the type of riding done.
Mr Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Another thread about final gear oil suggested that high autobahn type speeds may be the reason for the change in the recommended gear oil from Yamaha. Could be the reason for changing more often as well.

We'll never get a solid explanation for the discrepancy.
ktmjeff is offline   Reply With Quote