silent running!! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

Default silent running!!

Hello all,
Hope yer all safe n sound. Im aware this topic has been posted about before, Im wondering if anything new has come to light recently.
Bought 2010 FJR-1400 kilometers few weeks ago-looking for several months, very excited. Everything seemed great until yesterday. Coming to uphill 4 way stop it cut out as I geared down , started first attempt and I pulled off, 5 min later cut out again as I made a slow uphill [****] R turn, almost went over, now Im pissed off so I pull over put it in neutral and rev it and its rough and cuts out a few times.
Wife has had enough and dont blame her so we leave group and come home, same deal en route.
After we arrive home I rev it in neutral, rough uneven revs again, then it might smooth out a bit, tried blipping throttle [actually thats where it started first time when I geared down at 4 way] cut out.
So Im all ears folks, the love affair is on hold right now, on my own is one thing but somebody behind you----man.
Thanks for hanging in with this.
V2Celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Obvious first, check plugs and change them if needed, log onto fjr tech and check the settings for the throttle bodies, have a look at the air filter, awkward to get at but at 14k it should be clean unless some rodent has taken up home in it, there is on fjr tech how to check tps, mentioned recently on this forum.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

check your battery leads for tightness
fjrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reg
Farkle Trainee

my first thought is bad gas or water in it. maybe the fuel pump is not making enough pressure
2005 FJR 1300 42000km
2003 SV 650s 19000km
Reg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
FJR Top Gun

Did it throw any diagnostic codes?

Current Rides:
2013 FJR 1300
2008 Bandit 1250
2006 FJR 1300-A
Random-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

V2Celt must be gone on a ride...hope someone's suggestion fixed his problem
fjrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

Default silent---ng

Sorry guys, havent got any replys to my inbox from forum even though there were, just logged in to check.
All codes check out ok-fuel pump pressure ok says mechanic, getting plugs and air filter changed as well, will know if anything else was found tomorrow when I pick it up.
Were there any recalls on 2010s-thought it was up to 2009. Im a newbie yammer so not sure.
See Iv taken all your advice so far, we'll see what happens, I'll post back in day or two, and thanks again for info.
V2Celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
Training wheels fitted!

V2Celt, I too have a 2010 which I recently bought, so far not having any problems but it's getting me worried a bit with the problems you are going through!
Please keep us updated if you have found out what is the main cause of the problem.
mrhenrylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhenrylee View Post
V2Celt, I too have a 2010 which I recently bought, so far not having any problems but it's getting me worried a bit with the problems you are going through!
Relax mrhenrylee. There are MANY 2010 FJRs out there, and the engines are all pretty much the same on all Gen II models going back to 2006. Well, actually, even the Gen I bike have the same engines.

The point I am trying to make is; if there were any kind of mass issues causing this trouble, it would have shown up by now. I am thinking V2Celt is dealing with a fueling or electrical issue.

Current Rides:
2013 FJR 1300
2008 Bandit 1250
2006 FJR 1300-A
Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by V2Celt View Post
All codes check out ok-fuel pump pressure ok says mechanic, getting plugs and air filter changed as well, will know if anything else was found tomorrow when I pick it up.
Were there any recalls on 2010s-thought it was up to 2009. Im a newbie yammer so not sure.
Not sure about recalls for the 2010. Someone on here can tell you, or you can go look NHTS..... something web sight. Just google vehicle recalls and you will see links to the Highway Traffic Safety something something.... You will know it when you see it.

As far as your description of the symptoms, I am thinking that plugs, nor air filter or even the TBS is going to solve the problem. My thinking is:
- Plugs: The bike has been running fine for a while, and even early on in your ride that day. Well, the FJR is not known for plug fouling (after all, it's not a 2 stroke). And plugs just don't usually break/stop working like that. They tend to degrade over time and you usually don't even notice till you replace them.

- Air filter: Same as plugs. They clog up slowly unless you went off-roading. You also mentioned it got better for a bit, then died again. I don't think plugs of air filter or TBS would fail, then clear up, then fail again.

I am thinking fueling (which includes both mechanical and electrical stuff) or a loose electrical connection (like a coil wire or ground somewhere or even the ECU (sure hope not)).

Question: Have you had the tank off recently? If yes, is it possible that the tank overflow vent hose at the rear left side of the tank has gotten crimped or even clogged at the bottom of the bike? This has happened to some folks in the past, and has caused odd behavior.

Sorry for the long ramble. just sort of thinking out loud here....
Keep us informed and good luck.

Current Rides:
2013 FJR 1300
2008 Bandit 1250
2006 FJR 1300-A

Last edited by Random-Cyclist; 04-04-2013 at 02:17 AM.