Michelin Pilot Road 3's - Page 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver
... Now that said, a *new* Z6 will feel like sex with a Victoria's Secret model compared to one with 9000 miles on it!
This thread is useless without pictures
Brakes Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
david1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #12 (permalink)
High-G FJR Junkie!

David, you don't want me to get in trouble with the moderators, do you?
Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
I think your trouble would not just be with the moderators....
Old 05-22-2011, 03:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey
Quote:
I think your trouble would not just be with the moderators....
I'll put in a good word for you
Brakes Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
david1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Default Dunlops

Wanted the Michelins for the "VS" experience, but opted for the Dunlops due to immediate safety issues. Not a bad ride, over 200 miles prior to this morning's rainy commute. The tires are fine on damp pavement, but didn't feel fully connected on wet asphalt... had me wishing I'd waited for the Michelin siped design.

Feedback on the wet performance.. eh-hem.. of the Michelins would be appreciated as I expect to go through a set in less than one season.
FineJollyRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
If you're getting more than 4000 miles on these tires, you're really not using them close to their performance limits, and I can't imagine wanting MORE mileage out of them, because as they get older, they all lose performance in less than ideal (wet or changing) conditions.

I'll bet the Metzeler product is just dandy. I've never had less than satisfactory performance from any Metzeler product.

In this current crop of sport touring tires from Michelin, Metz, Pirelli, Avon and even Dunlop and Bridgestone (after they figured out the failings of the BT020 and BT021 fronts)... the differences in performance would be undetectable to 99% of riders. If you do use the tires at the edges of their limits, you find strengths and weaknesses with each.

I'm sure I'm not pushing the envelope as much as you and some others since there is limited access to twisties in this neck of the woods. The 9,000 miles is mostly slab commute to work and weekend trips and I have no major complaint with the performance of the Z6 but with the new products comming out

There are slight differences in feel and differences in price. I think Z6s and their twin brothers, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, are about the best piece of rubber out there. Killer feel. If you're getting 9000 miles on Z6s, I don't think you can do any better. Now that said, a *new* Z6 will feel like sex with a Victoria's Secret model compared to one with 9000 miles on it!
Old 06-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

[quote="Liquidsilver"]If you're getting more than 4000 miles on these tires, you're really not using them close to their performance limits, and I can't imagine wanting MORE mileage out of them, because as they get older, they all lose performance in less than ideal (wet or changing) conditions.

I'll bet the Metzeler product is just dandy. I've never had less than satisfactory performance from any Metzeler product.

In this current crop of sport touring tires from Michelin, Metz, Pirelli, Avon and even Dunlop and Bridgestone (after they figured out the failings of the BT020 and BT021 fronts)... the differences in performance would be undetectable to 99% of riders. If you do use the tires at the edges of their limits, you find strengths and weaknesses with each.

I'm sure I'm not pushing the envelope as much as you and some others since there is limited access to twisties in this neck of the woods. The 9,000 miles is mostly slab commute to work and weekend trips and I have no major complaint with the performance of the Z6 but with the new products coming out I was thinking of trying something different.
I thought I recalled your choice were the PR2s though now the PR3s are out there as well as the Z8s. These were my considerations as the Z6s are beginning to square a bit from all the slab and I've heard they can go away fairly quickly and without wear bars it's hard to tell when is the right time for a change.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
High-G FJR Junkie!

Pappy,

The PR2s are my mileage champs so far, but my last rear was gone in 2200 miles, bald from edge to edge, so they wore very evenly for me. I'll get close to 4000 out of the PR2 fronts.

I can see on the Z6s and the Diablo Stradas how it would be difficult to determine the very end of the life of the tire if the center is worn excessively, because of the tread pattern. I still think those are two of the best feeling and performing ST offerings out there, though. My last Stradas were gone in about 1800, front and rear.

I have track day quality roads all around me, and I don't commute. That makes a huge difference. I commute on my antiquey Ducati, and it's not seeming to wear tires at all.
Old 06-06-2011, 02:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

[quote="Liquidsilver"]Pappy,

The PR2s are my mileage champs so far, but my last rear was gone in 2200 miles, bald from edge to edge, so they wore very evenly for me. I'll get close to 4000 out of the PR2 fronts.

Spot on i get the most out of pr2s and they wear evenly. it works out to 3000 back and 4000 front so i change the pair.

i all depends what from your fjr as it can be happy with many riding styles, there is nothing wrong for going for mileage to many it is the sensible thing to do but just not as much fun
Old 06-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Pappy,

Holy Cow! I got 18,900 miles out of my last PR2 rear. Granted that was WELL past the wear bars and the tire handled like complete crap for the last several thousand miles, but what a disparity!

I must ride like a grandma.