shaft drive oil - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Default shaft drive oil

Just been to buy some oil for the shaft drive for my 2002 FJR. I was expecting it to be standard hypoid 80 that was required but was told that it was necessary to use a specific Yamaha oil (although it says 80/90 on the bottle) at an exhorbitant price. Can I just use a good quality gear oil or should I not be so tight fisted and go with the Yamaha stuff
sycophantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

IMHO there is nothing special about the FJR diff compared to a Diversion or other shaft driven bike.

I do use a fully synthetic 80-140W gear oil, but any 80-90W gear oil that I believe meets GL-5 specifications should do the job.
gainsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
High-G FJR Junkie!

Boy was THAT a hot topic of debate in years gone by!

I don't think anyone has reported any failures with any types of oil. There were some leaky seals on early models, but I think they eliminated the type of oil as the cause.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver

I don't think anyone has reported any failures with any types of oil. There were some leaky seals on early models, but I think they eliminated the type of oil as the cause.
Agreed. I can't ever remember hearing of a single failure. As mentioned, if it says GL-5, ride on!

But I should mention that the Redline Shockproof Heavy is what I now use and the drive is definitely cooler to the touch after extended, fast riding. Pretty amazing stuff and IMO the only thing that kept my BMW drive from joining all the others in the scrap heap. Cheap insurance if you can find it there over the pond.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver

Agreed. I can't ever remember hearing of a single failure. As mentioned, if it says GL-5, ride on!

But I should mention that the Redline Shockproof Heavy is what I now use and the drive is definitely cooler to the touch after extended, fast riding. Pretty amazing stuff and IMO the only thing that kept my BMW drive from joining all the others in the scrap heap. Cheap insurance if you can find it there over the pond.
In California I was a dedicated Redline fan. Moved to North Carolina and now a dedicated Amsoil fan. Yes, I to believe a quality synthetic in the rear end keep the thing much cooler to the touch
Old 07-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

Default Rear drive oil..

I been useing reg valvoline 85-140 at every 2000 mile oil change and no trouble and 44mpg,08fjr, while the engine is draining, i figure it would not hurt to replace the drive fluid at the same time..
Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
High-G FJR Junkie!

I too agree with everything everyone is saying. I believe the Yamaha oil was recommended, because it supposedly didn't foam as much when running at higher temps. I may be all wet but that is in the back reccesses of my mind. Anyone else remember anything like that.

BTW Is there a consensus on the mileage you would switch from dino to synthetic motor oil. I know most people stay with reg oil for the first few thousand miles and then switch,if they like synthetic, after ?? miles.

Glenn
gr8eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
High-G FJR Junkie!

Consensus on an oil question - now there's a big ask

On all my bikes I have run dyno for the first 4 oil changes (100-200 km/60-150 m; 1,000 km/600 m; 5,000 km/3,000 m and 10,000 km/6,000 m) I also change filters at each of these changes. Then I switch to synthetic. It's worked for me, but I am sure there are others that work completely differently.

And here in Aussie Yamaha has stopped selling the very expensive final drive oil, and now just sell the same stuff for all shafties.

And Glenn, on Zea's FZ6 I stick to 5,000 km oil changes. With such a small oil capacity and relatively high-revving motor, I figure it deserves it.
Brakes Who needs brakes - they only slow you down
david1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Yamalube drive oil is circa 70 GBP for a 1 litre bottle.
Of course whilst under warranty you have to use the **** stuff. The engine oil is also expensive. I just had an oil and filter change that set me back 174 GBP for a job I could easily do myself in an hour using alternative products. That didn't include drive oil because I had half a bottle left from the first ("Free") service!

So

The reason that Yamalube is specified by Yamaha is so they can make excessive profit from us whilst the bike is in warranty
Old 07-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

Shakey.

I'm kind of curious about the translation. pas d'elle yeux Rhone que nous.
Spring is offline   Reply With Quote