shaft drive oil - Page 3 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

Any updates on those who use/have used Redline Shockproof heavy in their final drive? How long and any problems? Thanks.
lindbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #22 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

I changed the final drive oil on my gen 2 last week, more out of curiosity to see what was in it, and it looked and smelt like 80w90 or 90, very thick and sticky.
I changed to 75W -90 GL5 and added about 10 ml of gearbox moly additive, as I have always used it in shaft drive bikes. It got rid of the slight whine from the final drive as it always does.
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #23 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
Agreed. I can't ever remember hearing of a single failure. As mentioned, if it says GL-5, ride on!

But I should mention that the Redline Shockproof Heavy is what I now use and the drive is definitely cooler to the touch after extended, fast riding. Pretty amazing stuff and IMO the only thing that kept my BMW drive from joining all the others in the scrap heap. Cheap insurance if you can find it there over the pond.

I don't think any gear oil was responsible for BMW's rear end problem/failure...
Old 07-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindbergh View Post
Any updates on those who use/have used Redline Shockproof heavy in their final drive? How long and any problems? Thanks.
I have used it in my '05 for over 80,000 miles. No problems of any kind including the seals (never replaced) and never more than a tiny grey smudge on the magnet. But I change it while the engine oil is draining, so every 5-6K miles the magnet gets wiped off.

Lao Tzu
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
I don't think any gear oil was responsible for BMW's rear end problem/failure...
I don't think BMW has ever conclusively proven or stated what the failure mode is. But since my K1200LTC almost killed us when the original drive failed suddenly at 75MPH, I wasn't taking any chances with the new one. The wobble took out the caliper, the ABS sensor, and sprayed gear oil all over the wheel and tire. Real fun hauling that big top-heavy pig over to the side in traffic.

BMW replaced it under warranty with a factory new unit since the orig was pretty much destroyed and not rebuildable. So yes, I wanted the best possible lubricant (SP Heavy) in the new one. Put another 40,000 miles on the bike before selling it and never another problem with the drive.

Lao Tzu
Old 07-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #26 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

Was just at my local Yamaha dealer and they had Redline Motorcycle 80 Wt. gear oil with shockproof. I had not seen this oil before and I couldn't find it on Redline's website. Anybody ever heard of this oil?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindbergh View Post
Was just at my local Yamaha dealer and they had Redline Motorcycle 80 Wt. gear oil with shockproof. I had not seen this oil before and I couldn't find it on Redline's website. Anybody ever heard of this oil?

Yes, info here http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=112&pcid=13

That stuff is more for a H-D gearcase application, or for 2-stroke MX transmissions with wet clutch etc. Could not find any reference of it being rated GL-4 or GL-5, you would have to call/email Redline to be sure. But in any case, probably not the best choice for a final drive unless Redline tech rep says otherwise.

Lao Tzu
Old 07-19-2013, 05:59 PM   #28 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

Heads up, my Yamaha dealer sold me the wrong oil for my shaft drive. Fortunately, I returned it before I used it. Do not use the friction modified shaft oil that is GL-4, GL-5 rated. It is not made for high performance shaft drive bikes (FJR1300 and some VMAX and TENEREs). If you get the right oil, it will say on the front of the bottle "exclusively for FJR1300 and VMAX 1700 motorcycles". The name is Shaft Drive Oil Exclusive", part number ACC-SHFTD-EX-00