Abs light flashing - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Abs light flashing

Hi guy's, well my 2014a 13,500mi fjr has decided to give me yet another issue, the last 2 times I ridden it it will just sporadically start flashing the ABS light on the dash and it may just go off but generally you have to stop, shut the ignition off and restart which will reset things and the light may not come back on, usually. There seem's to be no performance issues evident as things seem to be working as normal other than the flashing light. I'm going to flush the brake system with new fluid today but highly doubt that it will fix it, one of the questions I have is will the fjr keep a fault code even if the ignition has been reset ? I plan on looking at that as well to see if it will point me in the right direction, I have to get my service manual out and check on how to access that.

I'm glad I bought the YES warranty that's good through 2019, may need to visit the dealer yet again for another issue, I really love this bike but it may be time to sell. I need something that I can trust to not leave me stranded and quite frankly even though I love the looks and ride of this beautiful red sob my faith in it isn't there.

Steve P
2014A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:25 AM
FJR Top Gun

Steve, sounds to me like an intermittent fault with the ABS sensor, probably the rear one, but could be either as they both provide info to the ECU. Remove the sensors, clean them up if you see any white (aluminum) corrosion in the holders or has transferred onto the sensors. They should not have any path to ground (thus their plastic sleeves). I coat mine with a smidge of silicone or dielectric grease (it won't melt away).

Also, verify the gaps or amount the sensor goes into the adaptor plates. If the sensor is not fully seated (although it may appear to be), excess gap to the trigger wheel may be an issue. I think (just an opinion) they live on the edge of maximum gap by design, but who knows. Clean up and your problem may go away (I could not readily find if there's a spec, there used to be on previous Gens I think, but these are the newer trigger wheel since '08.

A remote possibility is that the wheel trigger plate may have been accidentally bent, the spec. max deflection is 0.0055" or 0.14 mm. Doubt it, but worth a quick check should the condition not go away.

There may be a code set, if so, simply clear it and see if it comes back. Keep us posted.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

So I just read Bernie's excellent post from 2015 on his flashing abs light and am now wondering if I have a battery problem developing, one other thing that is going on that I did not connect with the flashing abs light is that when I start the bike cold it will occasionally hiccup like you shut the ignition off and then right back on but only on a cold start...

So I would ask that Bernie, if you're out there did the new battery fix your problem ?

I think I'll still flush the brake system and clean the abs sensor mounting pads, but I've been thinking that when the oe battery (3 yrs old) went bad I would replace it with a lithium to save some weight off the top of the bike which would be about 5lbs right off the top of the bike. May need to load test it today. Anyone have any of the same experiences ?

I have a volt meter on the bike and before I start it it shows 13.1 to 13.2 volts and once running is at 14.2-14.3 volts, it seems to have been about the same for a while now but the cold start 13.1-13.2v is probably a little low, typically on a non-computer bike it would be fine but the fjr seems to be voltage sensitive....

Steve P
2014A

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:12 PM
FJR Top Gun

I'm not thinking you have a battery problem based on what you're seeing for voltages... the FJR likes a decent battery, but shouldn't be a problem...... hiccup on startup isn't all that unusual what you're describing, Gen3 acts a little differently with the throttle by wire, but clean up that other stuff first and see if your issue goes away.
steveoreno likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:27 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

If its under warranty, I wouldn't do anything other than take it in for service. I would not be too concerned unless the issue keeps coming back and they can't seem to fix it. Could be just a simple thing. Don't abandon ship yet, lol.
steveoreno and MadMax96 like this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Farkle Trainee

I doubt this is the problem but I thought I would throw it out there. Seems like you would have checked for this , but here goes. I also had a flashing ABS light and couldn't figure out what it was. Turned out to be a bad brake light bulb. When the brake lights are not working the ABS will flash. My problem was that I had a bulb that would work sometime and not work others, intermittent. Not sure if it was a loose connection or a bad bulb. Once I saw that it was out I replaced it and all has been fine since.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks guy's, going to go take a look at things now, I'll let you know. I'm scheduled to go to n-hampshire (1k each way) in a couple of weeks so I need to make sure things are right, thx for the inputs.

Steve P
2014A
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:26 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Remember, you are riding the most reliable motorcycle brand. Where do you go from there??
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Well I went down to the garage and took the abs sensors out to take a look, the front really looked ok but I cleaned it , the bore, the plate and the screw and coated everything in dielectric grease, the rear was another matter, it was pretty crusty looking, so I cleaned it same as the front, greased it and back together. So while I was at it I figured I might as well bleed the brake system, so I did the rear first and ran 3 reservoirs through it before it got clean, then I moved to the right front which has provided a lot of conversations and again pumped 2 reservoirs through it before doing the front which ran pretty clean and I only ran 2 reservoirs through it. I haven't got to ride it yet to see if it helped because I'm going to take the rear wheel off and over to the bike shop because it has a slow leak that I cannot find.

One thing I was thinking about is that when I checked the rear brake lights to see that they worked I realized that I have the led's that flash 3 times when you apply the brake and am wondering if that has some effect on the abs light flashing ? Thoughts ?
Polar likes this.

Steve P
2014A
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post

One thing I was thinking about is that when I checked the rear brake lights to see that they worked I realized that I have the led's that flash 3 times when you apply the brake and am wondering if that has some effect on the abs light flashing ? Thoughts ?
If you haven't had the bike from new, perhaps the previous owner installed a brake light flasher unit and neglected to tell you, perhaps this is failing?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page