Brake Pedal Issue... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Brake Pedal Issue...

Every once in a while my brake pedal loses its firmness and needs to move like 3" down to apply the rear brake. It only happens sometimes. It's a bit unnerving because you expect it to apply the brake within the first 3/4" of travel...but then your foot keeps going and you have to pull the front harder to compensate. Next stop light...it's fine. Very strange.

This is on my 2014ES. Fluid looks good. Anybody else have this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Farkle Trainee

Two things I've noticed, one is normal, one not.

1: Because the brakes are linked, there's a little bit of proportioning between the front and rear brake travel. IE, if you only apply the back brake, it'll travel further than if you applied the front brake too. The effect on the front brake is much smaller. Once I figured this out, I didn't notice the difference.

2: My back brake travel is pretty long after the bike has been sitting awhile; I will pump it a bit to get it back to normal. I'm pretty sure I just need to flush and bleed my systems as it's been four years on the original fluid. ("Only" 23K miles.) (shame....)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via AIM to lagain
It should not do that. It can be caused by warped disc or play in wheel bearings or air in the braking system.
Brake fluid on the FJR should be changed every year, regardless of mileage as it adsorbs moisture that then causes corrosion in the ABS system.
Changing fluid is quite easy, but do not let the fluid drain completely from the reservoir as air will get in the system. Just keep topping up and use plenty of fluid.
It is fairly cheap and has a short shelf life once opened, so just use it up !
Always read up in a workshop manual first.

Past bikes; Honda 50 Suzuki 50 Yam XS250 Yam XJ650 Yam XJ 900 Honda CX650 Turbo Yam FJ1100 Yam FJ1200 (2) Honda ST1100 (2) Yam FJR1300 (5) 670,000 miles !

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks...I've got the paper manual & know about the fluid interval. I was just wondering if others had this same thing happen.

Yep - know about the linked brakes and did think about the proportioning valve etc. But...it's just a strange thing in the sense that it works as expected when cold (I only use the back brake going down stone driveway to street)...works fine riding most of the time. Then all of a sudden it goes down then the next time it is used it is fine again.

It wouldn't hurt to bleed it and change the fluid...Just seems odd.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:34 PM
FJR Top Gun

Classic case of needing a flush and bleed. It should never drop much differently any time. Flush and bleed every year as lagain says, and one should activate the ABS at the connector up front by the battery every time, to ensure all fresh in the ABS pump circuits.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 08:51 PM
Farkle Trainee

14es, one thing I would ask is if the greater drop happens when you only use the rear brake by itself ? The reason I ask is because early on with my 14A if I only used the rear brake it took a high effort to get a low, hard brake effect but if I also applied the front brake the rear had a much higher, lighter brake effect, probably something to do with the linked system. When I asked on here if anyone else had this issue several others joined in that they had also had the same issue. All that said it may be a problem but I suspect it's an anomaly with the linked system, but it sure can't hurt to flush & bleed the system to see if that helps.

Steve P
2014A
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:02 PM
Farkle Trainee

The rear pedal applies brake to rear caliper and right front lower pistons in caliper. They are not linked any other way. The feeling that applying front brake lever AND rear requires less rear pedal is because you are slowing faster with more brake pad area being applied. More hands make less work so to speak.

2014 FJR1300 B(AEO) #290 "Rootbeer metalic"
1999 C10 ( Sold May/16....Goodbye old friend)
2015 DR650

"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lessons afterwards"
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks Steve. Now that you mention it, I think that could be the case. Most of the time I just use the front, but sometimes I think I apply the rear before the front...like 5-10mph coasting to a stoplight etc.

It's a weird feeling having the pedal drop when you aren't expecting it. I'll have a go at flushing it out and see if that does anything. It may just be a case of dealing with it and not freaking out about it...like the auto drain/purge on my air compressor the first few weeks I had it! Scared the crap out of me every time...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Nope, not normal and you should not have to "deal with it and not freak out." My preference is speedbleeders but others have different choices.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Anyone have a link for a tutorial on the bleeding procedure? I've bled plenty of brakes before but I know the order in which one does this on a linked break system is important. Is it Front Left caliper, FR low, FR high, prop valve, Rear?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page