Lighting woes - please help - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Lighting woes - please help

Morning All,

The bike in question here is a GenII, ex-police UK model.

I've had LED headlights for a while and tbh, other than some light spread they've been great. However the other day they didn't fire up.

I pulled the panels off to take a look and found nothing wrong, checked the wiring and all seemed good, with decent earths (i've recently fitted extra earths). Even tried swapping out the dip/main relay with a known good one. When I put the meter on the 3-way bulb socket, it all seemed good, see attached pics. over 13V at dip and main. But when I put in a bulb, both LED and Standard Halogens were tested, they didn't work and I had no power at the bulb.

For the time being I have fitted a temporary relay to trigger the dip lights, using the feed off the 3-way bulb socket as a trigger.

But what is going on? Am I being really dumb? I'm the first to admit that electrics are my weakness.

I welcome your comments.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dip-Beam-Check.jpg (221.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Main-Beam-Check.jpg (241.9 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 01:47 PM
red
Farkle Trainee

Lighting woes - please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Tim View Post
I've had LED headlights for a while and tbh, other than some light spread they've been great. However the other day they didn't fire up.
I pulled the panels off to take a look and found nothing wrong, checked the wiring and all seemed good, with decent earths (i've recently fitted extra earths). Even tried swapping out the dip/main relay with a known good one. When I put the meter on the 3-way bulb socket, it all seemed good, see attached pics. over 13V at dip and main. But when I put in a bulb, both LED and Standard Halogens were tested, they didn't work and I had no power at the bulb. For the time being I have fitted a temporary relay to trigger the dip lights, using the feed off the 3-way bulb socket as a trigger. But what is going on? Am I being really dumb? I'm the first to admit that electrics are my weakness. I welcome your comments.
Tim
Tim,

Did you start the bike? Electric power needs two things, voltage and current. Voltage is like potential energy, and Current is how much "push" is available. You can have voltage, like water standing in a sponge ("I measure wetness here") and you can have current, like water running from a hose ("This wetness has some Power behind it.") You can charge up a toy balloon by rubbing it with felt. You have plenty of electricity then, but no real power. That "static" charge can flash as light through a fluorescent tube, but it will not light up a common lamp. Never let a LED get hit by a static charge.

All that to say this, a dirty connection can put voltage where you expect to see it, but with no real power ("push") there. Dirty battery terminals are a likely cause.of that symptom. The FJR has a problem with the ground connections getting dirty or corroded. Your bike may be in need of a factory recall, which will cost you nothing except riding time. A Yamaha dealer can check your recall status, by your bike's VIN number.

Even if the bike runs normally, the light circuits may be a victim of dirt or corrosion, and most likely it will be found at a connector. Unplugging and re-connecting each connector in the light circuits will probably show you which connector is now dirty. You can clean the dirty pins with contact cleaner and a stiff brush, or replace them if the connector housing is still good, or replace the connector outright. We have sources, if you need entire connectors. There is also a silver-bearing electrical connector grease which conducts, as well as keeping the contacts clean. You will need very little, on each contact. Electrical specialty shops should have this silvery grease. Avoid dielectric grease, which is solidly non-conductive; it prevents shorts, but that is all it does. A clean connector housing in good condition does that job better. Do NOT assume that a wire bolted to the frame is grounded. If the battery has a poor ground connection to the frame, then the "extra" ground connection at the lights will do nothing to help. All of these ground connections must be clean, shiny, and bolted securely at each end of each ground wire.

Since the voltmeter shows a voltage, the problem should be simple and easy to fix, once you find the cause. Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A

Last edited by red; 04-20-2017 at 02:03 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:43 AM
FJR Top Gun

You have voltage, so bike is running? Try plugging in a regular headlight bulb where you know the filaments are good.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thank you both for the replies.

I'll have another go at the bike over the weekend.

I know about the earth spider issues, I've already wired in additional earths. But as you say the main battery earth may not be the best, so I'll certainly be looking at that.

Yes, the bike was running, and I tested both LED and filament bulbs with no luck.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again guys.

Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page