Transmission failure - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Transmission failure

Had an interesting experience recently on my 2016 FJR with about 7300 miles.

I rode to lunch with some friends on Saturday, March 25. After lunch, we got back on the bikes and headed out. Came to a red light, it turned green and we pulled away. I'm riding with cruisers and was the second bike. Pulling away was nothing dramatic or "spirited". The bike made a funny bang, lost power, and started knocking. Got it pulled over to a safe place in about 100 yards. It would run, but the lack of power and knocking continued. I had it towed to the shop and went by to visit with them yesterday.

The manager came out and asked me to join him in the shop. They had disassembled the engine that morning and had it on a bench. He showed me the inside. It looked like a grenade went off in there. There was shrapnel everywhere. There was a hole in the wall separating the transmission from the crank-chamber, the crank shaft was chewed up, one con-rod was broken, and the underside of the piston was chewed up.

They suspect that one of the gears disintegrated, drove through the side of the case, and broke the con-rod before bouncing around and chewing up everything else.

Yamaha has asked him for photos and a parts list. He suspects, when they see the extend of the damage, they may just send him a crate motor to replace the whole thing.

So...now a question. Anyone else experience anything similar with this wonderful new six-speed transmission?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:15 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRTX View Post
Had an interesting experience recently on my 2016 FJR with about 7300 miles.

I rode to lunch with some friends on Saturday, March 25. After lunch, we got back on the bikes and headed out. Came to a red light, it turned green and we pulled away. I'm riding with cruisers and was the second bike. Pulling away was nothing dramatic or "spirited". The bike made a funny bang, lost power, and started knocking. Got it pulled over to a safe place in about 100 yards. It would run, but the lack of power and knocking continued. I had it towed to the shop and went by to visit with them yesterday.

The manager came out and asked me to join him in the shop. They had disassembled the engine that morning and had it on a bench. He showed me the inside. It looked like a grenade went off in there. There was shrapnel everywhere. There was a hole in the wall separating the transmission from the crank-chamber, the crank shaft was chewed up, one con-rod was broken, and the underside of the piston was chewed up.

They suspect that one of the gears disintegrated, drove through the side of the case, and broke the con-rod before bouncing around and chewing up everything else.

Yamaha has asked him for photos and a parts list. He suspects, when they see the extend of the damage, they may just send him a crate motor to replace the whole thing.

So...now a question. Anyone else experience anything similar with this wonderful new six-speed transmission?
Sounds like a poorly manufactured gear of a bad defect in the metal on a gear. Hopefully, that would be a one-off type situation. Seems like we would have heard if there was anyone else with this problem.
bounce and Koda like this.

07 FJR 38,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 03:28 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Sounds EXACTLY like what happened to my '06 Yamaha R1LE in turn one at Barber Motorsports. It was not a transmission issue. It was a snapped connecting rod, which was a known issue with that particular motor. The crank end then proceeded to jackhammer the bottom of the motor off and broke into the transmission case.

Mine would have 'looked and felt' like a transmission failure, since it was off throttle when it happened, but it was most certainly a rod failure.

Knowing that the FJR's gearbox is just like a jumbo sized R1 box, I don't see how it would be the tranny's fault. And (going way out on a speculative limb) since this is NOT common for an FJR, I would suspect a defective assemble resulting in a thrown rod. I suspect you got a one-in-a-million failure, and Yamaha will make good on it.

I'm glad it didn't result in a crash, and hopefully the issue will be resolved for you.

* * Just hanging around until I can ride with Rock and Mack again. Never forgotten. * *

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:00 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via AIM to lagain
Never heard of that before, probably a faulty part

Past bikes; Honda 50 Suzuki 50 Yam XS250 Yam XJ650 Yam XJ 900 Honda CX650 Turbo Yam FJ1100 Yam FJ1200 (2) Honda ST1100 (2) Yam FJR1300 (5) 670,000 miles !
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 04:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

Yup. Con rod broke first. Then broke everything else.
If a mechanic at a shop told me a gear broke the rod I would take the bike somewhere else.
bounce, Polar and Scott_H like this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Agree with mobilemike and Liquidsliver, caused by connecting rod breaking first.
Steve Bracken likes this.

2016 FJR1300A
2014 Stryker
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:19 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_H View Post
Agree with mobilemike and Liquidsliver, caused by connecting rod breaking first.
Concur!

With the sole caveat that I haven't examined the engine, it is far more likely that the conrod went first.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

Back in 1977 my friend's father bought him a brand new Yamaha RD200DX. Sharp looking little bike, and to us it was a beast. We were 17.

500 miles later it threw a rod right through the crankcase.

My 1958 BSA Bantam D7 rolled right on by .... slowly, as was its wont!

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 09:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Wow, sorry to hear about the trouble, sure hope it's not contagious.

16ES
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 10:44 PM
Farkle Trainee

Back to the original subject.
That sure sucks your new bike threw a rod. I hope Yamaha acts quickly and gets the dealer a new complete engine pronto.
Good for you to not crash the think when it blew. It could have locked up the rear wheel and/or oiled down the rear tire. That would have been bad.

BTW PICS????????????????
Us old mechanics love to see carnage. Did the rod break at the big or small end. Or in the middle.
Polar and Little Joe like this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page