Clutch Thread - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Clutch Thread

A while ago I did a clutch soak. Helped a bit.

This year, on two rides ... 1000 miles a month ago, and I got back yesterday from a Ride Around Texas ... 66 hours, 55 mins, for the record

I am having clutch issues with the venerable '05. So much so that I can't select neutral from 1st with the engine running. The clutch is dragging that much. I can't roll it back easily in 1st either, and if I give it revs it wants to move.

Clutch is on maximum travel setting, and fluid is new. Problem doesn't get worse if I sit holding the clutch in, suggesting that the slave cylinder is not leaking fluid back.

What to do?

I could strip and soak it again. I could try Rotella T6 instead of Rotella T. I could strip and clean ... again

... or I could pay $350 to upgrade to the 2016 clutch and have an end to the issues.

What do you think?

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:31 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Give it a good clutch fluid change and bleed and a clutch plate clean and oil up.
No use soaking, a waste of time.
Steve Bracken likes this.

In Thrust we Trust

2014 FJR AE ....The Aussie ES
2013 Stelvio NTX
2010 Spyder RT-S Limited Edition
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queensland Ken View Post
Give it a good clutch fluid change and bleed and a clutch plate clean and oil up.
No use soaking, a waste of time.
I agree about the soaking. Just a healthy amount of oil on clean plates when you re-assemble.
Queensland Ken likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

What you describe is a classic case of air in the hydraulic fluid. And/or moisture. My GL1800 had to be flushed every 2 years else by 3 it was unrideable. Garage kept.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
I agree about the soaking. Just a healthy amount of oil on clean plates when you re-assemble.
Agree,
Just make sure the metal plates are real clean and friction material isn't contaminated. And yes, a liberal amount of oil, yum !

In Thrust we Trust

2014 FJR AE ....The Aussie ES
2013 Stelvio NTX
2010 Spyder RT-S Limited Edition
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
What you describe is a classic case of air in the hydraulic fluid. And/or moisture. My GL1800 had to be flushed every 2 years else by 3 it was unrideable. Garage kept.
I'd like to avoid the large bill. Even with the clutch in its current state I just rode 3100 miles in 67 hours, so my problems are manageable.

Still, I want it fixin', so I'll try the fluid change first, before I start pulling off Canyon Cages, and other crap to get to the clutch cover.
Queensland Ken and N4HHE like this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:06 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
This year, on two rides ... 1000 miles a month ago, and I got back yesterday from a Ride Around Texas ... 66 hours, 55 mins, for the record
Impressive. RAT is what? About 3300 miles long and little or no highways.

2013 FJR
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Impressive. RAT is what? About 3300 miles long and little or no highways.
I started in Paris, TX and ended there. Route was 3094 gps miles, with very little Interstate.

For fun, it included the Galveston Bay Islands, the ferry, South Padre Island, Big Bend National Park and the River Road from Lajitas to Presidio.

It was a wonderful experience ... even in March with rain, fog, some freezing temps and some 90F

I'd fully recommend it to anyone who wants to test their bike and their abilities, and enjoy some wonderful scenery.

ps ... the "flower-sniffing" version allows 85 hours, rather than the 70 hours for the Gold. That would be pretty damned awesome too if you prefer a more relaxed pace (or more sleep).

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A

Last edited by Steve Bracken; 03-17-2017 at 08:16 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:30 AM
red
Farkle Trainee

Clutch Thread

Quote:
A while ago I did a clutch soak. Helped a bit. I am having clutch issues with the venerable '05. So much so that I can't select neutral from 1st with the engine running. The clutch is dragging that much. I can't roll it back easily in 1st either, and if I give it revs it wants to move.
Clutch is on maximum travel setting, and fluid is new. Problem doesn't get worse if I sit holding the clutch in, suggesting that the slave cylinder is not leaking fluid back.
What to do?
Steve,

Yamaha's new clutch basket has extra holes in it now, maybe to oil the clutch plates better? I might drill some smaller holes in mine, or just replace the clutch basket with the improved part..

Clutch soak. Thoughts and questions.

Your clutch plates may be dirty or warped now, or the hydraulics may have a problem. A cylinder that is scored near the end could cause this symptom.The center rod and ball may be worn, also. No certain answers, there, just check things off the list and move on, until you get it fixed. Happy hunting.

Cheers,
Red
2008 FJR1300A
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:02 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
I'd like to avoid the large bill. Even with the clutch in its current state I just rode 3100 miles in 67 hours, so my problems are manageable.

Still, I want it fixin', so I'll try the fluid change first, before I start pulling off Canyon Cages, and other crap to get to the clutch cover.
Yes, but no matter how much internet lore is fond of "clutch soak" the only reason your clutch will not fully disengage is that the slave cylinder is not pushing far enough or hard enough to separate the clutch. Engine forces through the clutch are so great the plates will not stick to each other if slave cylinder overcomes springs.

When clutch basket is worn the feel at clutch lever is usually awful. Most all clutch basket wear is found on off-road 2-strokes which are forced to feather the clutch in slides and hills to make up for shortcomings of the engine. Fewer off-road 4-strokes ever see clutch basket problems. And unless you modulate the clutch to control wheel spin I don't think you'll ever need a clutch basket on the street.

Don't know where you would get a big syringe but if you can get a helper to deal with one end while you deal with the other, swap the entire old fluid out in one pass not giving air bubbles a chance to rise. I bought one of these several years ago and its one of the best things Harbor Freight sells. Also need to buy a quick connect air nipple because I don't believe this kit comes with one, or it uses the oddball only seen in Asia. And of course one needs an air compressor to power this thing. http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-f...der-92924.html

Heck, if you only have a vinyl hose don't let my words above prevent you from flushing it the old fashioned way. That usually works but sometimes not. Worked on my GL1800.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S

Last edited by N4HHE; 03-18-2017 at 01:06 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page