New Fork Seals Leaking - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thumbs down New Fork Seals Leaking

2007 Yamaha FJR1300A.

Hi Guys.

I need a little advise from the collective wisdom please.

A month or so ago I noticed a weep from one of my fork seals so having done a few seals myself in the past I decided I would carry out the job myself replacing both seals and bushes, after doing much reading and research from the forum her all went relatively well, the middle bush was a chore but I got it done.

I've done about 100 miles and have noticed that both appear to be leaking now, what's going on.
Both fork legs are in good condition with no damage.

The seals were greased and care was taken to protect the new seals when being slid onto the stanchions tubes.

I hope you guys may have some ideas what may have gone wrong.

Many Thanks.

Yamaha FJR1300A 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 02:40 PM
FJR Top Gun

Many years ago I had a problem like this on a FJ1200, new seals would leak almost immediately. Turned out the oil was getting out passed the outside of the seals, not the inside as you would expect. A mechanic friend advised me to glue the new seals into position with a special Loctite solution. That was it, problem fixed.
philharmonic likes this.

FJR Models owned from new, 2001, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 06:14 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Did you check out the fork legs for micro scratches.
Need a good touch or outside in good light.
Had exactly same problem . Managed to polish them out with Autosol metal polish.
make sure no debris in the dust seal scratching the legs.

In Thrust we Trust

2014 FJR AE ....The Aussie ES
2013 Stelvio NTX
2010 Spyder RT-S Limited Edition
2007 GSX1400
2002 TL1000R

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 07:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozza View Post
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A.

Hi Guys.

I need a little advise from the collective wisdom please.

A month or so ago I noticed a weep from one of my fork seals so having done a few seals myself in the past I decided I would carry out the job myself replacing both seals and bushes, after doing much reading and research from the forum her all went relatively well, the middle bush was a chore but I got it done.

I've done about 100 miles and have noticed that both appear to be leaking now, what's going on.
Both fork legs are in good condition with no damage.

The seals were greased and care was taken to protect the new seals when being slid onto the stanchions tubes.

I hope you guys may have some ideas what may have gone wrong.

Many Thanks.

when reassembled
its possible to pressurize the forks

if reassembled / filled w fluid while extended
when capped & the weight of the bike can pressurize the forks

conversely [ tho Unlikely ] reassembled ..... forks compressed they could have a vaccum
drag racers have done thusly so to plant the front end
now they use a strap

you are going to have to do it again
careful observation on disassembly might reveal the culprit
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 09:30 PM
FJR Top Gun

My first question is about fork oil level. Did you set it with springs out, inner fork tube all the way down, measure fork oil level to the top of the tube = 100 mm? Next did you install the seals upside down?
N4HHE likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

New Fork Seals Leaking

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I was very careful and followed instructions that I had printed out.

The fork legs are good and blemish and scratch free so I cant see this being the problem, the seals & bushes were all fitted, the fork tube pushed right down in the lower leg and the spring was fitted, I measured from the top of the tube down 100mm and the oil was just touching the measure.

I've contacted the supplier who are now looking into it as when the kit was supplied there was no middle bush present so this had to be re used.
I was very careful and covered the top of the fork tube with a plastic bag to prevent any sharp edges damaging the seal when fitted and the seals were well lubricated with the supplied grease.

It's just such a pain to possibly have to do it all again DOH!

Yamaha FJR1300A 2007
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:13 AM
FJR Top Gun

Sounds good. Then my next recommendation before tearing it all down again is to take a Sealmate type tool and clean around the seals. Lift the dust seals out and slide them up the tube. You can make one from thin plastic or 35mm film or milk jug material.... perhaps the grease (I use fork oil to lube) just needs some time to clear so there is a good contact surface? They should not "leak", which I would define as oil running onto the dust seal that keeps returning after you have wiped down the tubes and seals. So, the other thing to do is to wipe all residual oil off with some rubbing alcohol to ensure the oil you saw was not just residual oil. Once the forks have been jounced, a very slight oil film should be on the tubes, which is perfectly normal.

On the FJR, the seals go in with significant enough interference fit that they should not leak on the outer diameter, and the only way I can see they would leak at the inner diameter is if they were damaged/nicked. I'd just try cleaning them up first before deciding if they're really "leaking". If you could take a picture of the top of the seal while you have the dust seals up, I might be able to tell if they are right side up... what did their instructions tell you about orientation?
passx likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

How did you install the seals? A good seal driver keeps them square in the bore, and won't tweak the seal housing when installing. I've seen some hack jobs come into my shop with seals bent so bad from a punch or a screwdriver, I just smh. Not saying you hacked your seal job, just saying.
I would try cleaning the grease out of the seal with a seal saver type of tool like RaYzerman suggests. You can make one yourself out of a thin plastic sheet. Once you get it cut out, be sure to de-burr the edges with 600 or finer sand paper. You don't want to ruin your new seals with a sharp object inside the seal. A milk jug seems too thick, and stiff to get the job done, but I can't say because I never used one. A plastic 2L soda bottle will work fine.
FWIW, one seal on my '04 was leaking when I got it a few months back. I made a seal saver tool, cleaned it out and it hasn't leaked since.
And a pic would tell us what's "up". Good luck.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 11:04 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Are you using a factory service manual? Am I mis-reading? Perhaps a difference in The Isles vs. The Colonies?

My FSM says tubes compressed, no spring installed, 92 mm from top.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 04:45 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
There are some You Tube videos on how to use the Seal Mate and its clones. One of the things they tell you to do is to rapidly compress the forks a few times to set the seals. It may work for you to do this step first to see if it works. Sit on bike, feet on the ground, hold front brake and use your body weight to compress the forks. Little to lose in trying the Seal Mate and/or the compression.

Kevin
Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page