Usability of controls on FJR - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Zee
Trainee Sport Tourer

Usability of controls on FJR

After living with my 2016 FJR for 15,000 miles I love almost everything about it. But the control system for accessing information and setting windscreen position and grip heaters is so awkward, it annoys me every time. It occurred to me that with the existing controls, this could have been made so much better and easier to use, and it could be fixed with a simple software change. I hope someone from Yamaha is listening!

The current setup is really awkward and requires multiple steps. Let's say I want to change the windscreen position: first, I have to take my eyes off the road and look at the info screen to make sure it's set to windscreen adjustment mode. If it's not, I have to push the left trigger button until it is, all the while looking at the screen. Then I can use the left up/down buttons to adjust the position. Same goes for setting handgrip warmer, or deciding to change the info display. Anything I want to do involves taking my eyes off the road and fiddling around for a bit. This is a terrible design.

What I would suggest is that the big up/down buttons on the left grip are dedicated to ALWAYS adjust the windscreen position. This is something I often want to do while entering a slower or twistier part of the road, and don't want to look down to do it. The left trigger button could be used to cycle through info screens. And for the handgrip warmer setting, repurpose the useless "mode" button right thumb control to cycle through off/1/2/3 handgrip settings -- it could show the mode temporarily on the display. This gives us easy access to the controls without taking eyes of the road and fiddling about with screen and various buttons. (If some people actually use the mode button, an alternative would be a separate handgrip button on the right; there is room for one there. But I can't see any reason for the mode button other than the marketing idea of "it's a sport-tourer so we need a 'sport' and 'tour' mode!")

Thoughts?

- 2016 Yamaha FJR1300A

Last edited by Zee; 06-18-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:43 PM
FJR Top Gun

Hearing you, but maybe get in the habit of leaving the screen in windshield mode, and only change to grips mode when needed.
sath182, JohnC, Mr_Ed and 2 others like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Farkle Trainee

I like mine. The menus are configurable. When I need grip heat or to change info, one glance and it's changed. Unless it's cold outside, the resting screen is always windshield adjustment. I don't even have to look at the menu to toggle around get to what I want. There are only three modes. I know that two pulls of the trigger and two pushes of the thumb give me level II grip heat, etc. But that's me. Now that you mention it, the dedicated screen switch on my RT was kind of convenient. I never missed it once I got acclimated to the FJR menus.
Mr_Ed, J-Luv and 14ES like this.

Tour of Honor- Join today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 06-19-2017 at 06:52 AM.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Farkle Trainee

How on earth did we ride bikes 15 years ago with out all these toys built in.
rbentnail and mobilemike like this.

2005 FJR1300
2003 Vstar 1100 classic
Suzuki 750 intruder
2000 R1
2000 ZX6
1998 CBR 1100 Blackbird
1984 GPZ 1100
1980 CB 750 custom
1970 CB350 first road bike
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Do you turn your head and look beside you when you change lanes? Do you look behind you when you merge onto the freeway? What about looking a the scenery while riding?
Looking at the screen is such a small eye movement it does not present a problem for me. Its all about comfort in the saddle. I suppose more miles on the bike will make you more comfortable and looking around will be much easier.
steveoreno and Bill Lumberg like this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Farkle Trainee

The Gen1 and Gen2 FJRs did have a dedicated rocker switch just for the windshield.

BUT!

The information screen was small, the characters were small and it was controlled by two tiny buttons located at the bottom. Did I mention that the info screen was on the right side right where it is now? And that you had to use your RIGHT hand to push those two tiny buttons?

Sorry, but I have no sympathy for you here. The Gen3 menu and control system is ridiculously easy to use.

When we upgraded my 71 year old father to a Gen3 because he totaled his Gen2 he spent some time learning to use the menu controls much the way a fighter pilot would have to do. He would use a stool to climb onto his bike and sit with the owner's manual and practice and learn the controls. At that time he could barely walk due to the crash. But he did learn to operate his motorcycle.
philharmonic and Bill Lumberg like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

I configured the menu items as I like. I, too, leave the screen adjustment as the primary screen as it is the one I use most while riding. If I want to adjust the suspension, I change the menu screen. And when I'm done, I cycle it back to windscreen adjustment. If I want to turn the handgrip warmers on, ditto. The only issue I have is I don't retain in my memory the order in which they cycle. I have been doing it 3 years, and you'd think I be able to operate it without even looking!!
Oublaj likes this.

'14 FJR-ES Candy Red
'83 CB1100F Blue Red and White (not currently running)
'83 CB1100F Red Black and White (in the shed)
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:55 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I also think the controls on my 2016 are very easy and intuitive... The only control I'm not thrilled with is the cruise, in the dark. At night I have a very difficult time using the cruise cause I can't see it at all, a backlight on the cruise control buttons would be a HUGE help
Stooie likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:09 PM
FJR Top Gun

Cruise control is not that difficult. A straight reach over turns it on. Of course, if you don't reach quite far enough, you hit the horn button. Over and up and you hit the SET/RESUME switch. It is just a matter of developing muscle memory.

Adding more dedicated switches complicates the switch gear and wiring. That adds to a small decrease in reliability.
steveoreno and Redfish like this.

2013 FJR
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 11:28 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

For me, the default setting option is the windshield, so it's always on that option and so is "dedicated to ALWAYS adjust the windscreen position." 'Course, if I flip to another option, I have to make sure I go back to the windshield so it remains the default, so to speak. But at least that way I don't have to think about it if I want to tweak the shield.

Agreed about the backlighting on the cruise control button. Found out the hard way a few nights ago that it's not visible and as such I wasn't able to locate and operate it. Probably could have fooled with it a bit more and figured it out, but thought it best to keep an eye on the road instead. Maybe after I've had the bike a bit longer (just a couple months in now) it'll be more intuitive and familiar.

2016 FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page