Fluid change - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Fluid change

Its raining here today so I decided it was a good time to change clutch and brake fluid. Bike is a 2014 FJR with 16K. The fluid in all three reservoirs looked like coffee. I normally do this every year but for some reason did not do it last year ( new bike ) bought in 2015 as a new in crate leftover.
Just an FYI for those of you who don't this or have not yet. Cheap and easy to do. While you are at it, pull both levers off and clean and grease the lever bushings. Only adds about another 10 minutes to the project.
Polar and passx like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

^^^What Gary says i always do mine every year as i dont fancy taking chances with my abs module - some of the guys always run the abs to flush out the module, i must say i have never done mine in the 11 years ive owned mine, just changed and flushed the fluid.
N4HHE likes this.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:18 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Speedbleeders = Word. My fluids get changed at least once per year without fail. Sometimes twice depending on how many mountainous dirt roads I've ridden.

I sometimes cycle the ABS with the test block, it's easy to do, but usually only if I haven't cycled the ABS in the normal way in a while.

I think it depends on how a person generally rides. I do a lot of shifting and braking on my commutes and rides in the forest in western NC. Long range touring guys I think need not worry about it so much.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

It is more a matter of time than mileage, particularly the clutch and front brake fluid. The reservoirs are out in the heat, cold and rain so subject to condensation and the fluid is hydroscopic, so it absorbs the water and turns dark. JMHO
If you pour some brake fluid in an open glass and let it set overnight, it will turn black in a day or two.
philharmonic likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:18 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar View Post
^^^What Gary says i always do mine every year as i dont fancy taking chances with my abs module - some of the guys always run the abs to flush out the module, i must say i have never done mine in the 11 years ive owned mine, just changed and flushed the fluid.

Am I right in assuming that when you use the jumper to cycle the ABS, or when you brake hard enough to actuate the ABS, you are doing the same thing?????

07 FJR 38,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 12:21 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philharmonic View Post
Am I right in assuming that when you use the jumper to cycle the ABS, or when you brake hard enough to actuate the ABS, you are doing the same thing?????
Yes, you are doing the same thing. Cycling with the jumper cycles both front and rear whereas manually doing the front is ok but unless on a slippery road I have trouble getting the rear ABS to kick in. I really have to stand on the pedal to get it to do it.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 06-17-2017 at 12:24 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:42 PM
Farkle Trainee

I won't disagree with manually cycling the abs but keep in mind that it is part of the startup cycle which does cycle it every time you start the bike, at least on the gen lll's it does.

Steve P
2014A
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

Really? I did not know that. So no need to worry about cycling on gen III's from a maintenance perspective?

Tour of Honor- Join today.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 06-17-2017 at 07:05 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:05 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by passx View Post
I won't disagree with manually cycling the abs but keep in mind that it is part of the startup cycle which does cycle it every time you start the bike, at least on the gen lll's it does.
I don't believe that is true at all. Why do you think that?

My Adventures Vlog & How-To Videos

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:51 PM
FJR Top Gun

When you cycle the ABS at the test connector you know both front and rear are done. I've tried on road tests and not been successful every time. I put a permanent connection with a switch, EZPZ and reliable.

To my knowledge, the ABS does not cycle on startup of Gen3's.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page