New Tires!...Not another tire tread. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve Bracken
  • 1 Post By Pterodactyl

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Location: Halfway between Chicago and the Mackinaw Bridge on the east shore of Lake Michigan
New Tires!...Not another tire tread.

Decided on and purchased a set of Dunlop RoadSmart IIIs from Revzilla. Not a lot of reviews yet, guess I will find out for myself if this is a good decision. And right now Dunlop has a $40 rebate so the final price will be just over $250 (had $5 of revzilla cash). These tires are going on my 2003 FJR, replacing the original Metzlers. Nothing like fresh rubber to start the season!

Timm

2003 Liquid Silver FJR
1991 Suzuki FA 50
1984 Kawasaki 250 Tecate
1981 Seca 750 w/factory luggage
1979 650 Special
1973 SL 125
1971 Mini Enduro
Life is Good - TWO WHEELS GOOD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Yes like us know, I was thinking of trying them when I wear the PR4 out.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

I have a front in the shop. I am running it in the Iron Butt Rally. All reports say it will go further than the PR4 GT. I need it to go around 13000 miles, and I have every confidence that it will.

I am running a car tire on the rear, so mileage isn't an issue.
RDM likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Farkle Trainee

I've put about 400 miles on my new set of Roadsmart 3's and really like them so far. Been using PR4GT's the last couple of sets which I like as well. The RS3's have very smooth ride, tracks a straight line well, with a very easy turn in, and ability to change your line easily when already in a sharp curve. Confidence inspiring is a term I've seen used a couple of times with this tire, and I would agree. Great road feel that suits my riding style better than the PR4GT. Longevity remains to be seen, but Dunlop seems to have a winner here !
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 06:51 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeeJerMI View Post
Decided on and purchased a set of Dunlop RoadSmart IIIs from Revzilla. Not a lot of reviews yet, guess I will find out for myself if this is a good decision. And right now Dunlop has a $40 rebate so the final price will be just over $250 (had $5 of revzilla cash). These tires are going on my 2003 FJR, replacing the original Metzlers. Nothing like fresh rubber to start the season!

Timm
Original Metzlers?????? Were there really 14 year old tires on the bike?
FjrjrF likes this.

Kevin
Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 07:43 AM
Farkle Trainee

FeeJer, let us know what you think, I've been looking at those and will probably have to replace mine sometime this year (pr4 front, Shinko 009 back) I have no complaints with the Shinko's that I had on my bike and will probably reinstall the 1000mi Shinko front taken off when my bike had the shakes. I have no real complaints about the pr4 either other than it was noisey when it was new and turn-in is a bit heavy/sluggish due to its flatter profile, nothing terrible but not as nimble as the oe "stones" or the Shinko, I even liked the oe bridgestones for the ride and handling but was disappointed in their 6300mi life and the severe cupping, terrible that way but seems to be about normal for them and a few of our more spirited brothers here have gotten as low as 3500mi out of theirs. So anyway I'm looking forward to what you have to say after you get some miles on them, new tires alone will put a red "S" on your chest but after about 1000-1500mi then you'll know more.

When I put the Shinko's on my bike they weren't very good for the first 500mi, I thought about taking them off and then they seemed to bed-in with good turn-in and holding power until the front was removed because of the front end wobble but that was the steering head bearings and I suspect putting the Shinko back on will be transparent once the pr4 is worn out, but that'll be a while yet.

Steve P
2014A
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 01:32 PM
RDM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeeJerMI View Post

Timm
Good choice on the tires! I just had a set of RS III installed last week. So far I'm really happy with them. Now to find out if they wear as well as they are saying they will.

2016 FJR1300A
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Location: Halfway between Chicago and the Mackinaw Bridge on the east shore of Lake Michigan
Update on the RoadSmart 3s. I took just the wheels to the tire store to have the new tires installed. I talked to the counter guy and asked them to pay attention to the direction of rotation and the ink marks on the side of the new tires so that they were installed in the proper orientation. When I picked them up I was kinda peeved that they didn't line up the ink marks, but didn't say anything. The only balancing the store offered was the internal beads, which I didn't want. When I got home I checked static balance with jack stands and a length of 1/2" steel rod. Neither wheel showed any balance issues so I went ahead and put them back on the bike without any added weight. Well after a couple hundred miles and all speeds I am very happy to report very smooth running without any vibration!

Timm

2003 Liquid Silver FJR
1991 Suzuki FA 50
1984 Kawasaki 250 Tecate
1981 Seca 750 w/factory luggage
1979 650 Special
1973 SL 125
1971 Mini Enduro
Life is Good - TWO WHEELS GOOD!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page