Why only one rebound/damper adjuster? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Why only one rebound/damper adjuster?

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic but I've just started getting into suspension settings and trying to understand how changes to preload, rebound and damping affect the bike. It makes sense to me that each fork has an adjustment for preload but I don't understand why only one fork has an adjustment for rebound and damping.

Can anyone explain why only one side has these adjusters? For reference, I have a 2013 FJR.

Man these things can really fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 FJR1300A | 1982 XJ1100 Maxim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:35 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I'm tempted to lock this thread now! Please, please, please- if this thread turns into yet another argument and/or egotistical p!ssing match it will be quickly shut down. Do a quick search GG and you'll find more info than you can possibly want or need, most of it contradictory gobbledygook.

Try to remember your manners boys, like yo mama is reading along. Thank you!

My contribution is this- A) Yamaha is cheap! 2) One is all that's needed C) suspension doesn't affect the bike, it effects the rider.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rbentnail; 03-02-2017 at 10:37 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Sorry...Let me simplify the question then. When adjusting the clickers on the right fork for damping and rebound, it is technically only adjusting that one fork and not in some way linked to the other as well. It was more of a technical question rather than a philosophical question about suspension preferences. That info I can find all day long through searches but I couldn't find the specific answer to the technical part of my curiosity. Thanks.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

There are points in time that the manufactures decide they can save money and put only one damper assembly in one fork. Theoretically if the settings are correct you will need only one damper on the front.

There is plenty of info on reputable sites for suspension settings and their effects. Research is king. Good luck and have fun. BTW take notes because it is difficult to remember impressions from settings weeks ago to compare.
GrayGoose likes this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
There are points in time that the manufactures decide they can save money and put only one damper assembly in one fork. Theoretically if the settings are correct you will need only one damper on the front.

There is plenty of info on reputable sites for suspension settings and their effects. Research is king. Good luck and have fun. BTW take notes because it is difficult to remember impressions from settings weeks ago to compare.
I gotcha. Thanks for the feedback and good advice. You've answered my question.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:35 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Google Dave Moss. He is sort of a Suspension Whisperer. He helps people dial in their suspensions and has good info online for how to do so. If you can find him at a rally he will charge $60 to work with you and help you understand the suspension and get it right for you.

Don't know that he addresses you question about only one. I think the answer is that Yamaha believes only one is needed, and of course it saves money.
GrayGoose likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Google Dave Moss. He is sort of a Suspension Whisperer. He helps people dial in their suspensions and has good info online for how to do so. If you can find him at a rally he will charge $60 to work with you and help you understand the suspension and get it right for you.
I've been watching several of his videos and yes, he's very good and knowledgeable. I've learned quite a bit from him so far.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:28 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
I ride a 13 and I have a friend that also rides a 13 and is about my same weight with similar mileage on his bike as mine. He went to Dave Moss and then passed along the settings he ended up with. They are remarkably similar to what I was already running. There are many variables that cannot be accounted for in comparing our two bikes, but I found it somewhat reassuring that my settings are in the same ball park.
GrayGoose likes this.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 03-02-2017 at 05:15 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 01:46 PM
FJR Top Gun

Yamaha seems to me has an obsession with weight reduction, so they spun out the one-sided fork justifying 'it worked on the R1, a race bike, so should be good'... now if we really went down to the track, what would those R1 guys have?

Anyway, for street, it will work if you have it adjusted properly for you.
mobilemike and GrayGoose like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Farkle Trainee

It gets the job done. It took me a long time to figure out that max firm (preload), moderate damp isn't as good for my touring preferences as mid-firm, moderate-to-max damp. Somewhere just north of medium/factory preload, One guy. And that's touring, not mountaineering..
GrayGoose likes this.

Tour of Honor- Join today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page