A new chapter - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By pratman
  • 3 Post By pratman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

A new chapter

For many years I would throw a tank bag on GSXR's or R1's and call it sport touring and after a couple of kids and some miles behind us my wife decided we needed something that fit my idea of sport and her idea of touring (comfort). I found a good deal on a '04 with 30K on it that needed a little love. The PO, I am the 4th, left it outside uncover and as near as I can tell didn't do anything to the bike but put fuel in it. One of the owners before him did maintain it as the PO gave me a box of parts, he had no idea what was in it, that included a service manual, spare fasteners, oil, filters, tinted windshield and original rear rack. Someone along the way also dropped it, at least twice, once on the left and once on the right, no longitudinal scratches so I think it just fell over. The plan is to repaint it, change all the fluids, check the valves, new brakes, tires, and clean out/change the oil in the forks. Comfort wise it needs a new seat and I'm rebuilding the Givi rack to support a passenger backrest, use as a flat spot to bungee stuff to and support a rack for a road bike. So far the fairings are off and partially sanded, the lights have all been refurbished, and I have started on the rake. I have found a lot of great info on this site, thank you, and am hoping to use this thread to track my progress. The pictures are after washing the first day it was home, before the snow and how it sits now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fjr 2.jpg (285.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg fjr 1.jpg (138.0 KB, 74 views)
Bill Lumberg and RotrexFZ1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:05 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

We are looking forward to hearing and seeing your progress, and hopefully add some advice. Remember this, as you go forward. Some of us here, like me, will do just what is necessary to keep our FJR's in good mechanical shape so we can ride with confidence, and others, will insist that everything be done PERFECTLY. It's their nature, and mine. You will do as much as YOUR nature insists. {like the guy who left your FJR out in the weather without protection, OUCH that offends even me}. Google most things before you ask so things aren't too redundant, and PM myself or someone else with a lot of posts if you need info that your pretty sure has been addressed a thousand times. Good luck.

07 FJR 38,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:21 AM
FJR Top Gun

Kool deal....... time for a custom colour to make it totally "yours"...... burnt sienna would be one of my suggestions

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Farkle Trainee

Dont forget the rear dif oil. All the pivot points are gonna need grease too.
If my '14 ever needs paint is gonna get the '16 blue.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 12:20 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
mmmm, projects....."fun"!!

Enjoy.

"Ride On"

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 03:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to see what your bike looks like after its painted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Highly modified and customized 2013 Yamaha FJR1300A.

2007 Custom Candy Sonoma Red naked Bandit 1250S/AK7 totally customized with MetrickMetal custom parts and one off mods. Full Holeshot stage II with header & slip-on, Race Tech gold valves / springs and Cogent Dynamic shock. In a constant state of metamorphosis.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Thank you for the offer philharmonic, I have a tendency to over research projects but if I get stuck I won't hesitate to pm you.

RaYzerman - I haven't completely decided on a color yet, but the front runner is not far off from burnt sienna..

mobilemike - thanks, it's already on the list
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Despite ski season, work and not having a great place to work on the bike I have been able to make some progress. Through searching and Youtube I have been able to lube all the pivots on the back of the bike, drained and replaced engine and final drive oil, replaced clutch and brake fluid and put on some new brake pads. We found a Sargent seat on Ebay to replace the ripped and weather pos that was on it and have finished most of the fab work for the rear rack to hold a backrest, carry a bike and make it a little more useful for me than the Givi top box.

The biggest part of the project has been the body work. I was able to sand out all the scratches with just a little filler, primed, painted and clear coated the panels and am working on finish sanding, compounding and polishing them out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L fairing.jpg (173.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (212.3 KB, 25 views)
RaYzerman, MadMax96 and Eagle Six like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

Welcome.

That's a Givi SR346 on the back. It's ideal. It strengthens the subframe and allows you to carry even Givi's biggest trunk.

A worthwhile, and expensive upgrade.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:36 PM
FJR Top Gun

Cool colour!! It will be nice to see it all back together!

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page