hunters among us? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

hunters among us?

As much as I enjoy riding my fjr, hunting is my real passion. I hunt most everything that I can get a license for, BUT I most like calling coyotes and archery hunting for elk and deer. Thankfully my wife almost demands I go big game hunting to put that high quality meat in the freezer each fall.

SO, who else enjoys the hunt? What do you hunt?
J-Luv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 AM
Farkle Trainee

Around here big game hunting is mostly hiding in a small shed in the middle of a field and sniping at deer as they come out for breakfast.
No problem with that since it means less big critters running out in the road.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I used to, a lot. I grew up in a life style that marked the seasons with fishing, hunting and trapping. Often to the extent it interfered with work! Now, at my age, and certain expereinces throughout the years, I still love the hunt, but I leave the taking to others. It's a great life style I think everyone should enjoy, but I guess it's a good thing not everyone does, leaving room for folks like yourself to still enjoy it.
J-Luv likes this.

Best Regards.......George

Navajo County, Arizona, USA
N8547J (aka 'Scooter'), '07 FJR (aka 'Rx')....previously ZX-14 (aka 'Missile'), ST1300 (aka 'the Beast'), VTR1000 (aka 'Red'), V-Strom 650 (aka 'Blue'), Yamaha FZR600 (aka 'Samurai')
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
I do not hunt, but have a steady supply of Elk meat. My son-in-law seems to get at least one every year. Last Fall he and my daughter got three elk in a few hours. We had to buy a new freezer to hold what we were given. We pay the processing costs. Elk is the best game meat I've ever eaten, and I've had my share of moose and deer.

Kevin
Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

interesting about the elk being the best meat you've had. It is really good and I've only ever had one moose that I shot in the Yukon, but that moose was the best tasting critter I've ever eatin'. And a lot of meat on that moose too. I ended up with 656 pounds of boneless meat from that big boy. Amazing size.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:30 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRnCO View Post
interesting about the elk being the best meat you've had. It is really good and I've only ever had one moose that I shot in the Yukon, but that moose was the best tasting critter I've ever eatin'. And a lot of meat on that moose too. I ended up with 656 pounds of boneless meat from that big boy. Amazing size.
I suspect that anything you take yourself tastes a bit better.

It also seems to make a significant difference where the animal lived. I've had Alaska moose and Newfoundland moose (used to live in both places) and meat from both were good. The deer here in Montana graze heavily on sage plants and they have that taste. Not very good eating except as well seasoned sausage or jerky.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 03-20-2017 at 03:42 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Farkle Trainee

I grew up and live in the Kansas City metro area and have lived on both sides of the state line, MO and KS. I grew up quail hunting with my dad in the 70s when coveys could be found. Loved the time afield with Dad and nights shooting trap with some of the men from church. In college, mid to late 80s,, I picked up a recurve and tried deer hunting. Eventually got a Browning compound wheelie bow, but thought I'd never kill one. Took a few with a rifle, but once I killed my first with a bow...I was totally hooked. Lots of great white tail hunting in both states. I have hunting hogs in OK, and elk in CO and NM. Some of my best times alone or with a small handful of different friends have been in the woods with a bow in hand.
philharmonic likes this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I hunted a lot when I was younger. Now, you have to "rent" land to hunt on which just does not sit well with me. I grew up asking land owners for permission to hunt on their land. Sometimes helping them with small jobs, etc. in exchange for the privilege to hunt on their land. Learning, following, and respecting their rules to hunt on their land.

Now, people just want money and quite frankly I can buy the meat for less. I enjoy the hunt, I just miss the days when it was a gentlemen's agreement to do so.
J-Luv likes this.

Blchandl2
'15 FJR1300 (Primer)
PEACE, Something to shoot for.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:24 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I spent most of the last 20 years hunting underwater, either for fish or commercially diving for Florida lobster {spiny lobster, not claws}. I am retired to Greenville, SC and want to learn to hunt deer and turkeys but haven't found the right guy to teach me, and I know how disruptive a newbie is to experienced hunters. {having turned around underwater and found myself looking down the barrel of a loaded speargun too many times to count}.

07 FJR 38,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

that under water fishing sounds, and from what I've seen on TV, looks interesting. But me and water don't mix well. I swim about as good as a rock floats.
Turkey hunting is fun too. I shoot them with my bow also. It certainly does help that my family farms and I can go back and hunt any time I want on our private property.
philharmonic likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page