Gen 1 vs. Gen 2 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

Default Gen 1 vs. Gen 2

I'm into my third FJR for various reasons. I've had a new 07, used 04 and I just put the 2012 away for the winter.

I don't remember having any issues with the 07, the 04 had brand new Michelin Pilot Road II's on it and the 2012 has Brigstones. Not sure if it's the tires, suspension set up or just the fact that the 12 is a new bike but it seems the 04 was the best of the lot.

I'm actually hoping the Brigstones wear fast, I just don't feel real confident through the turns on the new bike.

Jim
Jimm K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Training wheels fitted!

Same here, 2 Gen 1's and now an 07 Gen 2. The Gen 2 seems better because the heat issue is improved. My Gen 2 has a heap of great touring accessories plus the terrific YCCS GP shifter, so maybe I'm not seeing just the bare bike. Throttle control and seat seem slightly improved.
RodP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

You are right about the heat. It just seems the 04 was a little more responsive, a little quicker and definitely handled different. Maybe I need to play with the suspension set up.

JK
Old 11-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
High-G FJR Junkie!

Oh brother. One of these threads? Really? On a site full of grown-ups?

One of the two was a lot lighter and geared lower. The other was heavier and more comfortable. Which do you call better?
Old 11-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

Yeah, one of these threads, really! I'm somewhat grown up and am asking a simple question. I'm new to the forum and obviously haven't been around to beat this queston to death like the rest of you that have been on this forum for 7 years.

So, since you're an FJR expert just answer the question. I'n your professional opinion can I adjust anything on the 2012 to make it respond better. Yes or no, it's not that tough.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
High-G FJR Junkie!

Oh, I'm just poking fun at the question. So many of these forums have 'my x-generation bike is better than yours.'. I didn't mean any offense.

I don't know much about these contraptions, but the gen2 is a different animal. I think you may be able to tweak it a bit, but it'll always be a different bike than a gen1.

20valves is the only smart ass around here.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm K View Post
Yeah, one of these threads, really! I'm somewhat grown up and am asking a simple question. I'm new to the forum and obviously haven't been around to beat this queston to death like the rest of you that have been on this forum for 7 years.

So, since you're an FJR expert just answer the question. I'n your professional opinion can I adjust anything on the 2012 to make it respond better. Yes or no, it's not that tough.
Hey Jimm.... I think he was giving a "simple answer" to your "simple question". The GenI bikes were a bit lighter and had a lower over-all gear ratio than the GENII bikes. However, your question really is not as simple as you may think. For example, you are wanting to make it "respond better" right? Well, can you perhaps give us a hint on what area needs improvment? Handling? speed? Throttle response? What things have you already tried?

There are lots of folks on this site willing to help, Liquid being one of the primary sources, but give us a chance and don't just say "it's needs to respond better"

So back to the question: In what area is your 12' needing improvment?

-Dave

<Later Edit>: I re-read you post and do see where you think you may need to work on suspension ( I stand corrected from above).
The GENIIs are known to be a bit under-sprung. According to Racetech's page, they are sprung for a rider about 140 lbs. If you are much heavier, you may want to upgrade to a bit stronger spring. I weigh over 100 lbs more and have just tried to make do by increasing the pre-load to the last ring and run the rebound at 10 clicks. I keep the comp. at 12 (default), but some folks seem to like one click softer or harder. I guess the best thing to do is know where factory setup is, then play with each setting in small increments untill you get it dialed in.

Current Rides:
2013 FJR 1300
2008 Bandit 1250
2006 FJR 1300-A

Last edited by Random-Cyclist; 11-27-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Random-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Hi Jimm, I've ridden FJR's continuously since 2001, and I'm now on my fifth new model. I've owned an 01, 03, 06, 09, and now a 12 bike. I commute daily on the bike, and most of my leisure time and holidays are spent on the bike, so I do a lot of miles.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your comments on Bridgestone tyres. I dislike Bridgestones so much, that when I ordered my latest bike, I insisted that the dealer take the new OEM Bridgestones off and fit Michelin PR3's before I took delivery of the bike.

The FJR is particularly sensitive to tyre wear, especially of the rear tyre. As soon as the rear tyre starts to square off, the steering becomes heavy, the bike doesn't want to lean and has to be forcibly held down in bends. It also wont track straight, it bump steers and wanders around the road like you are drunk.

Bridgestones are OK when brand new, but will exhibit the above symptoms strongly within 2000 miles. Michelins are OK for at least 10,000 miles.

The other problem is with the front suspension. When the suspension is set to the factory settings, which is all adjustments at the middle of their travel range, the front spring preload is too soft, and the compression damping too hard. I always set my spring preload to maximum hard, and the compression damping to 4 clicks softer. This gives you more suspension travel before hitting the stops, and less damping gives you a more compliant ride, the bike doesn't jar you so much over bumps. At the back, I leave the shock set to hard, and the damping in the middle.

Hope this helps.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

+1 on the Bridgestones don't care for them at all. my bike came with the Metzler Z6s which I thought were OK till I up graded to the Z8s which seem to handle much better IMHO. As for the suspension I'm about 215lbs most days and am currently set at 2 rings preload, 8 clicks out all around with the rear on soft when solo and hard for two up (if this helps)
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
Oh brother. One of these threads? Really? On a site full of grown-ups?
Sorry. That line did appear A-Hole'ish. It was missing a wink.

I didn't mean to sound like a smart ass (like 20valves) (just kiddin' buddy)

- -

There are lots of guys here, from all over the world, that know lots about bikes. They have some great ideas about improving the Gen2, but everybody really does ride differently...

I find the Gen2 to be MUCH more refined and comfortable than the Gen1s. The Gen1 was lighter and geared lower, so to me it feels way more sporty, before you do anything to it. Then Gen2 is so comfy on a long ride, I could ride off into the sunset and never go home. On a twisty on the Gen2, I'm always surprised at how I feel like I'm driving a Cadillac Escalade, but the dang thing doesn't feel like it's breaking a sweat.

I burn off the Michelin, Bridgestone, Metzeler, Pirelli... tires du jour... in about 2000 miles, and other than mild differences in characteristics, I find them to be very similar to each other. Other great riders here get 10,000 miles on a tire and notice subtle differences.

FWIW

Last edited by Liquidsilver; 11-27-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Liquidsilver is offline   Reply With Quote