New 2012 FJR 1300 - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Training wheels fitted!

Default New 2012 FJR 1300

HI everyone,
I am in love with the new 2012 FJR 1300. I am a tall guy and about 200 pounds. Does anyone have this model and can you share any experiences? Are there any problems that I should be aware off?
Unfortunately the dealers in Ontario they do not have a demo and it is really hard to buy a bike just for the looks of it.
leo@diagnostic.org is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Training wheels fitted!

i think it would look good on you. the bike is superb as one of my friend has it. rather than i would say that take a ride yourself and experience it. good luck for your new bike.

Last edited by drakelouis29; 06-13-2012 at 03:33 PM.
drakelouis29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
High-G FJR Junkie!

It's a run of the mill sport-touring bike like a BMW RT1200 or Honda ST1300. It's just lighter and sportier than both, a little more handling and power and a little less comfort in general. There are places to rent RTs and STs. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
High-G FJR Junkie!

Question run of the mill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsilver View Post
It's a run of the mill sport-touring bike like a BMW RT1200 or Honda ST1300.
Said the non-owner.

It's NOT run of the mill, it's NOT like a boxer twin BMW and it's NOT like the hotter, heavier V4 Honda.

Other than that, I agree completely with liquidsilver.

I have an '06 model of this bike and it's the same bike as the '12 right down to the cobalt blue color. I'm about 6' and 200# and the FJR is one of the greatest S/T's ever. It scores well in every category including reliability, looks, fuel range, suspension, handling, acceleration, braking, luggage. I bought both my FJR's, Gen I and Gen II without test riding and I love 'em. Great bikes.
20valves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Training wheels fitted!

I'm 6'1", 185lbs - I have the 2012 FJR. I love this bike. I bought it for the power, saddle bags and fairings with windshield to keep the bug splatter down. The 1st gen had issues with heat from the engine burning legs, but this gen does NOT run hot. I've needed the power two times to get out of trouble, and I'm glad the power was there. I chose the FJR over the ST1300 due to $1,500 less for the FJR, and I'm very happy with my choice.
MoHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHa View Post
The 1st gen had issues with heat from the engine burning legs, but this gen does NOT run hot.
here we go again. neither run hot. subjectively, a minority of riders claim that air flow management on the Gen1 made the rider hot. others (including me) assert that the gen1 is no hotter than any other fully faired bike they've owned. the main difference between the 2 types of riders seems to be what they are used to during their summers and if they wear real riding gear or street clothes.

the bikes don't run hot. they operate within proper tolerances and disperse heat effectively; not overheating unless something is wrong.

Quote:
I've needed the power two times to get out of trouble, and I'm glad the power was there. I chose the FJR over the ST1300 due to $1,500 less for the FJR, and I'm very happy with my choice.
i got it because Honda couldn't be bothered with figuring out their MSRP before the original 2002 Priority Delivery Program window closed. Yamaha was a known price and an unknown (but well reviewed) product. Honda was neither and, in the end, met with multiple delays that pushed it our well past my 10/2002 delivery date. i'm glad it worked out that way as the bike is great.

Last edited by bounce; 06-13-2012 at 11:21 AM.
bounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

2 words: Buy it.
FineJollyRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Training wheels fitted!

Default 2012 fjr

I have a 2012 and just barely topped 1000 miles, now I can take it for a run instead of a walk. This bike does everything very well, straight, turns, accelerates and stops in a hurry or just slow riding this bike makes all that easy and safe. I have no experience with the older models but I understand they are pretty much the same. Just can't go wrong with an FJR by Yamaha.
losingground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Said the non-owner.

It's NOT run of the mill, it's NOT like a boxer twin BMW and it's NOT like the hotter, heavier V4 Honda.

Other than that, I agree completely with liquidsilver.
HA!!! I've owned the same number of FJRs you have... and I've ridden a half dozen more!

It's a great bike, but it IS like a mini-RT or mini-ST. Those are FINE bikes. The FJR does everything a little better with a little less weight, making it more maneuverable. Less money, too.

Comparing it with the RT and the ST was NOT disrespect. I've never been more surprised about the capabilities of a bike than when I was running down sportbikes on Hwy 1 in NorCal on a BMW RT. I looked like Gramp's GoldWing, but the torque and balance was the ****, for a massive bike.

How many people have bought and FJR, and were not delighted? Out of hundreds, I can think of one or two, and they had no idea of what a motorcycle is.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

I have an '06. 6'6", 255 lbs. With the seat in the high position, the ergo's are very good. I find that with the V-stream windscreen, I can't get out of the buffeting. Went back to stock screen, and usually leave it in low position to keep helmet in clean wind. Installed a pc V with the smoothness map, and I really have no complaints now. Except I'm stuck in KS....

Last edited by oobergoober; 06-17-2012 at 07:13 PM.
oobergoober is offline   Reply With Quote