Did I buy the wrong bike? Worn out front tire.. - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Did I buy the wrong bike? Worn out front tire..

Love my 15 FJR, Mostly short around the county or to town to fetch imaginary grocery trips and very little highway riding. I do ride very "spirited" and find the FJR compliant but a tad wollowy when pressed hard but I generally just press firmly. Lots of back KY country roads and some two up riding. Bike feels plenty sporty to me and I love having the storage, stability and weight for windy days. I know there are better handling bikes but its all relative to me. I get my kicks pressing bikes to the limit in the dirt where the risk reward ratio is more in line with sanity. Do a bit of racing, extreme enduro and such.

Here is the thing, front tire is wore right down to almost nothing sides and all. I have about 3400 miles on her now. Back tire is getting pretty thin I am guessing it is good for another 1000. Not complaining about the stock Battalax (sp) tires I just wonder if I should have gotten a lighter sport bike. Yes, tires are aired correctly, I just push the ole girl pretty hard. Most of my roads are very twisty or I go out of my way to take the twisty route. I have my suspicions that my next set of tires will be Pilot Road and I do not expect any better wear. I am just wondering if I am using the wrong tool for the job here. I don't mind ponying up for tires as my seat time on the FJR is way less dollars per hour than the woods bikes.

Perhaps I just need to buy the stuff to change tires myself and get em stack or so at a time. I do that with my woods bike tires. Between my Son's and I we go through 3 or 4 tires a month depending upon the race schedule. Just part of it I spose.

2015 FJR A
Pile of dirt bikes, mostly KTM's and a few Vintage
Boats n Stuff
What makes your life worth living?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Farkle Trainee

So, your complaints are wollowy and fast tire wear?

2014 FJR1300A
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I have a 2016 but do a lot of LD riding and some twisty roads. I am diligent about maintaining air pressure, checking it at least once a week. Coming home from Pennsylvania last Sunday I turned over 13,000 miles. The OEM tires are coming off next week and a pair of Michelin PR4 GT's are going on.

The tires are not bald but the wear bars are showing and I am an all weather rider so, it's time for them to go.

Mike Hammer Down Brown
Harrisburg, NC
2016 FJR 1300A
IBA #35455

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

I am not a fan of the Battlax tires myself. IMHO, there are much better tires available. Most people run a little extra air pressure to reduce heat/wear.

Many other factors come into play.

- sounds like you might have a heavy hand
- are you a "late braker"?
- Ky roads can be quite abrasive
- it is a heavy bike with decent power = more wear on tires

Bottom line, only YOU can determine if you bought the wrong bike.

Blchandl2
'15 FJR1300 (Primer)
PEACE, Something to shoot for.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:50 PM
FJR Top Gun

The BT023's won't last as long as some tires, however will do better if aired correctly...... and by correctly, I mean 40 psi, not the OEM recommended 36 (which will cause wallowing and premature wear patterns). If you're at 40, then you're just pushing those tires because of your style perhaps and no doubt wearing out early.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Farkle Trainee

Its simple physics. A tire holding a 650lb bike to the road will wear out faster than the same tire holding a 500lb bike.
There are other bikes out there with a similar riding position to the FJR that are more suited to corner hammering. Some will even ride two up pretty well. The big Bandit comes to mind. While not a light weight by any means it is much lighter and has good power and a standard riding position.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

The OEM Stones are complete garbage. The front doesn't even turn right when it's brand new. If you push the front end of your FJR (not that many do) you'll shred it in no time. Put a good Michelin or Metzler on there it will be much better.

3400 miles is actually pretty good, I was on the wear bars at 2000.
bounce likes this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 11:01 PM
Farkle Trainee

OK. Here is what you need to do. Take notes.

Put down some money and get some new Michelin PR4's. I too am tempted by the GT's, but have not tried them yet.

Good tire, me thinks... and yes.. PSI is important. (I liked PSI: front 36 and rear 40)
But you decide... Some like 40 PSI front and rear.

How is your suspension? Is it dialed in correctly?
and lets not quibble.... it should be done by the ruler...not by the 'feel'. It's measured by the millimeter, and it makes a huge difference on the performance of the machine.

Ok. I think that is it. We are done here. Mission complete.

Let us know soon how right we were.
bounce likes this.

Scott
Phoenix, AZ

2016 XSR900
2016 FJR1300A
2005 FJR1300A
2006 V STAR 1300
1978 Honda 750
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

TT, , the oe 023 stones are not really good tires, I wore my front out at 6300mi and I really don't push the limits at all, like you I felt the rear had another 1000 in it but changed them both out for Shinko 009's , the front was changed out again 1000mi later due to a issue with the steering head bearings and the front Shinko that was removed will go back on once the pr4 that is currently there wears out. The current pr4 has over 7000mi on it with a lot of tread left, figuring it'll probably go 12-15k. The rear Shinko has 8k on it and will also probably go the 12-15k as well.

The Shinko's didn't handle well at all for the first 3-500mi but have been good since, the pr4 has a flatter profile so you have to put more effort into the turn-in but running 40psi seems to help that plus give it better mileage. I'll also add that the new Dunlop roadsmart lll's seem to have promise as well but are too new to know for sure.

The fjr oe 023's is the first bike I've ever worn the front tire out on before the rear and past 5k it just seemed to evaporate, they seemed to have good turn in but if you search the site you'll find short life for the oe stone's is the norm. I'd say that you're close to the low end but I seem to remember some only getting 2-2500 mi out of them which in my opinion is shameful, Bridgestone should be embarrassed because the rep they get from this is not good,, anyway that's my .02

Steve P
2014A
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Farkle Trainee

OEM tires are comical. That said, pressure is probably a bit low and I'd suspect front braking in turns. I easily get 8-10K miles or more from PR2's or 3's. Usually.
bounce likes this.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 06-17-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page