My speedo shows way too fast! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

My speedo shows way too fast!

My speedo on 2016 FJR is showing about 6 - 9KPH too fast. Faster I go the higher the difference. I checked this against my GPS on a ride yesterday.

First question - is speed shown on a GPS accurate?
Second question - if it is indeed too fast, is there a simple way to correct it?

Steve.

2016 FJR1300A
2012 Honda Goldwing Triked
2012 Honda Goldwing
2011 Kawasaki Vulcan
2008 Yamaha V Star 1300
1982 Honda 750 V4 Sabre
1965 Honda 90 Sport
1963 Honda 50 Sport
1962 50cc Itom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:47 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Dakota View Post
My speedo on 2016 FJR is showing about 6 - 9KPH too fast. Faster I go the higher the difference. I checked this against my GPS on a ride yesterday.

First question - is speed shown on a GPS accurate?
Second question - if it is indeed too fast, is there a simple way to correct it?

Steve.
Hi Steve,
Unfortunately displayed speed on canadian gen 3 is about 8 or 9 % too high. When I have my GPS I look my speed there, otherwise I mentally substract 10% from my displayed speed.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Trainee Sport Tourer

So how does one re-calibrate the speedo? What if tire size/diameter were changed any method to compensate for that?

2015 FJR A
Pile of dirt bikes, mostly KTM's and a few Vintage
Boats n Stuff
What makes your life worth living?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:19 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBaddog View Post
So how does one re-calibrate the speedo? What if tire size/diameter were changed any method to compensate for that?
You could run a larger rear tire to compensate. A lot of folks run a 190 rear.

My speedometer on my 2013 is only off a couple of mph at highway speeds. At an indicated 82 mph, my GPS is usually on 80.

I have found it bizarre that the percentage of error is larger when displaying in KPH rather than MPH. It would seem the speed would be calculated exactly the same way on all 2015s and just display the way we ask it to.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:21 AM
Farkle Trainee

Golden, all of my Japanese vehicles run 2-3mph fast, must be a cultural thing to protect us from ourselves, but my honda's, toyota's, subaru's and of course the yammyhaw all show 2-3mph fast at about 60-70mph and as you noted most gain the faster you go. Now as far as the gps accuracy goes good luck with that, a while ago we had a top speed thread where the gps was considered accurate but after contacting garmin and Tom-Tom and getting the mealy mouthed corporate legal no answer response from both I wouldn't bet on their accuracy. But I'll say that checking a couple vehicles with 2 different garmins and a Tom-Tom that all agree I feel more confident that they are more accurate than the speedo is.

Steve P
2014A
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 AM
Farkle Trainee

I always assumed manufacturers purposely added the error so they could not be sued by consumers for tickets they received. Manufacturers limiting their liability. If there is a +/- tolerance, it would be better to start with an indication above the actual speed so that it would never show less than the actual speed. I have no idea where I got this belief. Just one of those ideas that i grasped onto and still hold for whatever reason. My Roadtec 01's are closer to matching my GPS speed than the original Battlax's, so tires make a difference. And I have no idea how to calibrate the speedo.

'14 FJR-ES Candy Red
'83 CB1100F Blue Red and White (not currently running)
'83 CB1100F Red Black and White (in the shed)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:35 AM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Luv View Post
I always assumed manufacturers purposely added the error so they could not be sued by consumers for tickets they received. Manufacturers limiting their liability. If there is a +/- tolerance, it would be better to start with an indication above the actual speed so that it would never show less than the actual speed. I have no idea where I got this belief. Just one of those ideas that i grasped onto and still hold for whatever reason. My Roadtec 01's are closer to matching my GPS speed than the original Battlax's, so tires make a difference. And I have no idea how to calibrate the speedo.
I feel the same way. Everything a business does now has to be done with an eye toward potential liability. Thus we have warnings about coffee being hot, don't use electric hair dryers in the shower, don't take medications intended for prostate health if you're pregnant, .....
J-Luv likes this.

Just keepin' up with traffic, Officer.

'13 FJR1300
'99 ZRX1100
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:56 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
There is a device called a SpeedoHealer that will correct the speedometer. One was on my 2012 Super Tenere when I got it and it made the speedo read identical to my GPS. It also makes the odometer become inaccurate by as much as 6% in my case. I took it off because I wanted my odo to be accurate and I always run with a GPS. My Tenere indicates 75 at a true 70 and 86 at a true 80.

My Speedo Healer was installed by a Yamaha mechanic and it required cutting an ECU wire to solder the device in. I've heard the newer SpeedoHealers are plug and play on at least some bikes.

With 1 180 tire on my FJR the speedo reads 82 at a true 80. When I run a car tire the speedo and GPS read the same.
Golden Dakota likes this.

Kevin
Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Kevin - do you know what the effect the SpeedoHealer has on the odometer? Does it cause the odometer to show that the bike has done more miles than it really has, or less miles? And how much difference?
Thanks.

2016 FJR1300A
2012 Honda Goldwing Triked
2012 Honda Goldwing
2011 Kawasaki Vulcan
2008 Yamaha V Star 1300
1982 Honda 750 V4 Sabre
1965 Honda 90 Sport
1963 Honda 50 Sport
1962 50cc Itom
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Farkle Trainee

If the mileage calculations are as inaccurate as the speedo, then your MPG's off by just as much, therefore making your bike look not only faster, but getting better mileage to boot. A win-win for Yamaha.

Robin
2008 Yamaha FJR1300A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page