FJR Owners Forum banner

USA and Canada - September 2012

15K views 63 replies 13 participants last post by  Liquidsilver 
#1 ·
Hi all you 'Murcans and Canucks. In September 2 Aussie couples will be touring USA and Canada, basically heading from Salt Lake City to Hyder and back.

Here's a rough outline of our draft plan:

Sat 7 Sep leave the Pluric Playground in Salt Lake City and head north to Jackson for night 1. Next day head to Yellowstone (via Grand Tetons, I think)
Nights 2 & 3: Yellowstone. Arrive Southern entrance, leave via the NE entrance - apparently a great road
Night 4: Great Falls - then head to Glacier National Park and ride 'Road to The Sun'.
5: Stay at western end of The Road to The Sun, then head to Banff the next day.
6, 7, 8: Banff (morning trip to Lake Louise, ride locally, be tourists going up cableways, etc)
9: Somewhere past Jasper (includes riding the Icefields Parkway)
10: Halfway to Hyder
11 & 12: Hyder

Then head south again, either taking a ferry to Vancouver Island. Then another ferry to Vancouver, through Whistler to Lillooet (route 99) then south with a day or 3 around Coeur d'Alene (did I spell that right) then back to SLC.

The total trip will be 3 or 4 weeks - still deciding how long.

You should find my first attempt at a map here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/8yd7wyc

We (the riders) are motorcyclists first, and tourists second. Our wives are probably offset the other way round, but they get all the time they like looking at stuff from the back of the bike.

Any suggestions on 'must ride roads' or 'must see and do stuff' or 'must avoid at all costs' suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#61 ·
Wow!.... Incredable road and views. Looks like you guys had such fun!
(BTW, I wasn't trying to be pushy in the other thread about you posting the rest of the trip, I just really enjoy them that much :)).
Envious of you guys taking such a trip!

TNX

#62 · (Edited)
And what goes up, must come down (except taxes and my age). I prefer riding up a pass on a heavily laden bike, but coming down was still a bagful of fun:

Now that's weird - last time it embedded the Youtube clip This time it looks like you've got to click the link :( Oh well :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.