KC to Utah 2800 Miles - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By BigC

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

KC to Utah 2800 Miles

I have to admit, I haven't been much of a rider in the past ~10 years that I've had a bike. If asked, I would consider myself a commuter with the occasional longer ride. A couple of friends at work convinced me a trip would be fun and on and on it went the prep and whatnot. I can't say that I bought the FJR for the trip but I can say that it played heavily into it. I could have probably done the trip on the old BMW but it would not have provided anywhere near the power to keep up. The FJR is a workhorse below 4k and absolutely entertaining above it. The stock seat killed me. I will be sorting that out very soon. It's good for 2 hours tops and it's on the firm side not soft side. I had some highway pegs mounted on my T-Rex engine guards but the right one twisted on me so I couldn't use it. The solution to that problem will be visited soon.

While at Dead Horse state park in Utah, another 2016 FJR owner arrived. He said he was from Wisconsin and he let me sit in his Russell day long seat. WOW, great seat. Definitely going to go that route.

I have to say that everyone we met on the trip was super helpful and very sincere in helping us get where we needed to go. I can't emphasise that enough, lots of bikes in Utah and Colorado.

Here are some pics and video's if anyone is interested:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Wc?usp=sharing

I know 2800 miles is nothing to a lot of riders here. If I could do more I would...not retired yet.

I hope everyone enjoys their summer and has a safe ride!

Brent
J-Luv and W8NONU like this.

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
2004 BMW R1150R For Sale!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:50 PM
CSI
Farkle Trainee

The stock seat is nothing more than a 2x10 with some vinyl sewn over it...

I opted for the Seat Concepts seat, and have not regretted it......by no means am I trying to talk you out of the RDL, but there are good options out there for 1/2 the cost.

Thanks for sharing the ride ! ! ! The wife and I had been planning a trip very similar in routing to yours for next month, but other things got in the way......so maybe next year !!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI View Post
The stock seat is nothing more than a 2x10 with some vinyl sewn over it...

I opted for the Seat Concepts seat, and have not regretted it......by no means am I trying to talk you out of the RDL, but there are good options out there for 1/2 the cost.

Thanks for sharing the ride ! ! ! The wife and I had been planning a trip very similar in routing to yours for next month, but other things got in the way......so maybe next year !!
Yeah, I'm toying with doing it myself. Due to cost etc. The other issue is that the seat height grows really quick when you go that route and I'm 5'9" and some change. I'm on tip toe's right now and don't need a taller seat...

Seriously, if you have the time and inclination to head west, Utah is hands down the most scenic and enjoyable way to go. Just take lots of water with you and fill up at any gas station you come across because those items get pretty thin out there...

-Brent

2016 FJR1300A
2004 BMW R1150R For Sale!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:53 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigC View Post
Seriously, if you have the time and inclination to head west, Utah is hands down the most scenic and enjoyable way to go. Just take lots of water with you and fill up at any gas station you come across because those items get pretty thin out there...
Have to agree on Utah. Start inthe Petrified Forest which I think is in Arizina then wind uo through Monument Valley, Lake Powell, Bryce Canyon, then Zion. Lots of other little spots along the way and to many to mention.

2013 FJR1300 and other bikes
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:35 AM
Farkle Trainee

You chose a great destination and nice pics. I love riding Colorado and Utah. Will be leaving Tulsa in August and heading west first through Colorado and Utah then on up to British Columbia. Thanks for the great pics, reminded me of past trips and made me want to leave now........

The best days to ride end in "Y"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:59 AM
Farkle Trainee

Heck, after 2600 miles on that stock seat, your butt should be almost broken in to sitting on a brick. Actually, I can imagine that your trip was almost miserable with that stock seat.
I was over at Dead Horse last year as well. Quite the canyon. I was glad that we got lucky that it was only about 90 degrees the say we went through there.
Thanks for sharing the pics. of your ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page