Fork seals and oil weight?? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Fork seals and oil weight??

Last weekend I opened the forks, drained and refilled with 20w oil. Didnt take the springs out, just pulled them off the bike and opened the top. Did the refill to within 10mm of the top with the forks compressed.

So today went to get inspection sticker (NYS) and failed with a fork seal leak - right side. There is a very slight film on the fork tube for about an inch right above the seal. I dont think I overfilled with oil, but if I did, would that cause it to escape past the seal. And if it did, would that cause the seal to fail. (There was no sign of seal failure when I opened up the forks to begin with.

My local shop wants $200 parts and labor. I think I should drain out a little fluid, clean it off very well, and run it in a few miles. If it is leaking it should show up right away. Any thoughts, or prior experience with something like this.

2005 FJR1300 Galaxy Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

YOU WHAT????? and then WHAT??????

Did you consult a manual? Or the internet? Anything?
You did everything wrong. The forks have a specific measurement for oil level. WITH THE SPRINGS OUT! You dont just throw any weight oil in either. Oil weight is an integral part of suspension tuning.
After this mess up its is obvious you are not qualified to work on the bike.
Take it to a shop and pay the money.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:24 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Don't sugar coat it for him Mike. Give him an honest opinion.
JohnC, rbentnail, aide and 2 others like this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 03:41 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenn68 View Post
Last weekend I opened the forks, drained and refilled with 20w oil. Didnt take the springs out, just pulled them off the bike and opened the top. Did the refill to within 10mm of the top with the forks compressed.

So today went to get inspection sticker (NYS) and failed with a fork seal leak - right side. There is a very slight film on the fork tube for about an inch right above the seal. I dont think I overfilled with oil, but if I did, would that cause it to escape past the seal. And if it did, would that cause the seal to fail. (There was no sign of seal failure when I opened up the forks to begin with.

My local shop wants $200 parts and labor. I think I should drain out a little fluid, clean it off very well, and run it in a few miles. If it is leaking it should show up right away. Any thoughts, or prior experience with something like this.

O dear Zenn you have messed up big time here mate and it sounds like you have blown a seal you may have caused damage to the shim stacks also!

Mike is right to be fair - best take it to the shop mate.

05 FJR Silver & Blue
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 04:15 PM
Farkle Trainee

I know it seems harsh but causing damage to parts of the bike, REAL potential for death or life long injury from actions like digging into mechanical portions of the bike with out the slightest idea you are doing NEEDS A WAKE UP CALL.

Can you imagine needing to brake hard and the fork hydraulically locks up, washes out the front wheel and slams you face first into an obstacle or the ground?
lagain, aide, rogerf and 3 others like this.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 06:06 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

20 wt oil, I bet that gave you some arm pump.

07 FJR 38,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 09:15 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Okay Zenn, it is important that you learn from this experience. It's not that you screwed up and hurt your bike. No, many backyard wrenches have done worse. It's part of the learning process. The real mistake you made is that you broadcast your mistake to this audience.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-13-2017, 11:37 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Okay Zenn, it is important that you learn from this experience. It's not that you screwed up and hurt your bike. No, many backyard wrenches have done worse. It's part of the learning process. The real mistake you made is that you broadcast your mistake to this audience.
As far as I am concerned that is not true. I do not say these things for the joy of bashing someone else for their mistakes. He is a member of this community and for that I have some amount of compassion and concern for him. He has done something very dangerous and alarming and I am sounding the alarm. Mainly because he does not know the extent of danger and damage possible.
If I saw someone looking down the barrel of a loaded gun with their finger on the trigger I would I would correct that cation with the utmost urgency.

One of the top and most difficult skills of a quality mechanic is to admit what they do not know. That is why I have shelves and shelves of manuals. If I have not done something before I dont justvdive in and start working. Research, information and formulating a plan is the proper way.

A novice needs to know their limitations so thing do not go seriously wrong. Like with this case.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 08:56 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
As far as I am concerned that is not true. I do not say these things for the joy of bashing someone else for their mistakes. He is a member of this community and for that I have some amount of compassion and concern for him. He has done something very dangerous and alarming and I am sounding the alarm. Mainly because he does not know the extent of danger and damage possible.
If I saw someone looking down the barrel of a loaded gun with their finger on the trigger I would I would correct that cation with the utmost urgency.

One of the top and most difficult skills of a quality mechanic is to admit what they do not know. That is why I have shelves and shelves of manuals. If I have not done something before I dont justvdive in and start working. Research, information and formulating a plan is the proper way.

A novice needs to know their limitations so thing do not go seriously wrong. Like with this case.
And we all need a sense of humor......
mobilemike likes this.

Kevin
Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Farkle Trainee

I wonder if we'll ever hear from zen again ? Mike I do understand your concern, maybe a bit rough but warranted. Zen take it to the dealer and have them give it a look see and repair any damage found, it'll play better when you take it back for inspection. One other thought that I had is that I lubricate the seals fairly heavily when I put things back together and that lube usually works it's way out and onto the forks for a bit after riding it, simple matter of wiping the fork down for a day or two before it runs dry, not the case on this one but that's what I do.

Steve P
2014A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page