Speed bleeder sealant - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Speed bleeder sealant

Last Spring I went through my 2010 Leftover NT 700v and did all the maintenance...new tires, set valves, bleed brakes and clutch, coolant, etc.
This year its the left over 2014 FJR's turn. After replacing the rear tire, I will bleed the brakes and clutch. Thanks to the search feature here, I have
all I need to go to the books and write up my own proceedure on the brakes...and research the clutch bleeding.

I was talked into installing Speed Bleeders on the NT. I couldnt STOP smiling while bleeding those brakes with the speed bleeders so I am putting them on the FJR.

Anyone use any other Speed Bleeder sealant than the SB factory 10 dollar stuff? My NT ones had no issues....they were a bit hard to screw in though to the point where I really concentrated on when they bottomed out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Farkle Trainee

I think the sealant on the threads of the Speedbleeders is "belt and braces", if that's what you are talking about.

They seat in the caliper, and really don't need any sealant

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:27 AM
FJR Top Gun

They already have a sealant on the threads from SpeedBleeder... It would take quite a few bleeds to have to replenish the sealant, but I'd use generic anti-seize or pipe sealant.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 10:25 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

As usual I'm a little confused.....are you putting used speedbleeders on your FJR? As Ray says, new ones come with thread sealant on them. Why would you not put new ones on it?

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
As usual I'm a little confused.....are you putting used speedbleeders on your FJR? As Ray says, new ones come with thread sealant on them. Why would you not put new ones on it?
Their website says that if you bleed often, like racers do, you should buy a bottle of their $10 sealant as it wears out. I dont bleed that often so I dont think it is an issue, but the set I put in my NT, which were new, went in HARD. In fact, I was worried I had the wrong ones or things would strip....but they didnt. I was just careful to feel for "the bottom".
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

So....do you bleed often?

I bleed once per yr. They've been installed for 8 yrs. They don't leak yet.

I think you're over-thinking it.
Steve Bracken likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:

I like Speed Bleeders, and have used them in the past, but I now think that even using them is "over-thinking it".

They have one fatal flaw ..... If you have had to break into the hydraulic system for any reason, then there will be too much air to build up sufficient pressure to open the valve in the bleeder. This can be enormously frustrating as you try to get enough fluid in the system for the bleeders to work as intended.

Instead, spend the money on a vacuum bleeder (Harbor Freight has a good one, for very little).

It's really no hardship to extract fluid under vacuum, while holding an 8mm wrench.
mobilemike likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:

I was just curious. I bleed brakes when the fluid turns color...maybe every three years.
Most normal bleeders turn easy and have no sealing issues....
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
I like Speed Bleeders, and have used them in the past, but I now think that even using them is "over-thinking it".

They have one fatal flaw ..... If you have had to break into the hydraulic system for any reason, then there will be too much air to build up sufficient pressure to open the valve in the bleeder. This can be enormously frustrating as you try to get enough fluid in the system for the bleeders to work as intended.

Instead, spend the money on a vacuum bleeder (Harbor Freight has a good one, for very little).

It's really no hardship to extract fluid under vacuum, while holding an 8mm wrench.
OK, Steve, I am going to regurgitate what I think you said and you tell me if I am wrong.
If Speed bleeders are installed, and you experience a catostrophic hydraulic failure, like a cracked hose, then you would have to put the old bleeders back, use the old bleeding ways or a vaccum bleeder, to prime the system and bleed it, at which time you would have the option of re-installing the SBs?

The Harbor Freight version is very inexpensive....it got 70 five star reviews and 78 one star reviews.....
http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-b...kit-69328.html
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:15 PM
FJR Top Gun

Yamaha recommends every two years, but given the past ABS issues and that the clutch system be optimal, it would be better to bleed once a year. When you do the brakes activate the ABS system to ensure the pump circuit is purged.

As for Speed Bleeders not working when you open the hydraulic system, that would be an issue with non speed bleeders too if the master cylinder was not bled first. Air anywhere else should purge as you pump as long as the master is pumping.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page