I put on a front tire yesterday. The next time I do that I could well be older! LOL!
Please proof read my notes and let me know if I left out something....
(BTW, I paid over the web $345 for fr and Rear tires delivered. dealer charges $30 to install each on rim.
Dealer normally charges $550 for tires if they order and 60 each to install on bike)
(Sorry about youtube vids. Links are in word doc I am making)
Removing and installing the front wheel on an 2014 FJR 3/17
f and r
1. Make photocopy of page 4-22 from manual. Break axel nut loose with 22 mm socket.
2. Put front end in the air by putting lead brick weights on seat and luggage rack, and board under exhaust using jack under board. (Might need as much as a half to a third of a mother-in-law on rear seat/luggage rack to raise front wheel)
3. Break loose 4 caliper bolts loose using quality 12 mm socket. Remove hose guide bolts.
4. Remove 4 caliper bolts. Cant/wiggle/**** calipers side to side and spread pads so you can remove calipers. Put wood blocks in calipers. Put masking or duct tape on rim if desired during caliper removal.
5. Using 6mm allen socket, break pinch bolts loose. Donít remove. Push/pull axel out using Ĺ unscrewed axel nut to push. Remove Axel while supporting wheel. Mind the spacers and ABS sensor housing positions.
Installation. (Remove two grease seals each side and relube wheel bearings if desired)
1. Clean and lube axel and spacers. Put spacers into wheel, and position ABS housing on wheel. Note notch in housing for lug on fork.
2. Install wheel by sliding axel in. Make sure ABS housing notch is lined up. Take your time.
3. Torque axel nut to 66 ft/lb using 19 mm Allen socket on right and 22 mm socket on left.
4. Measure pad depth and record. Install calipers in reverse order above. 29 ft/lbs. Install hose guide bolts.
5. Lower bike onto front wheel. Pump forks. Tighten Left 6mm Allen pinch bolts to 15 ft lbs. Go back and forth between the two bolts at least three times.
6. Pump forks again and tighten Right pinch bolts, same as step 5. Check tire pressure. Test ride. ABS light goes out.