Front Stay - removal and back again.... - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Front Stay - removal and back again....

2014 ES the black one...

Greetings, the removal and fix of the front stay has been posted before by Bernie and Atrophy (quite well and was a big help). I also belong to the "my bike fell over and guess what happened club". My mirror was a bit wobbly, so I took it a part and found that the end of the front stay that holds the mirror on had snapped. Just out of curiosity I contacted Yamaha Canada and asked about a reduction in the cost of the front stay ($332.77 + tax in Canada) knowing full well that the answer would be no. Considering the number of folks with similar experiences I thought it is good to bring it to their attention. This is Yamaha Canada's reply:

"I appreciate that these are difficult times. I am afraid that the warranty on the unit expired in July 2015. It's simply impossible for us to consider the failures related to a manufacturing defect. I did check to see if there is recalls, bulletins, tech tips or reports attributed to this that would have allowed me to assist in any ways however there is nothing.

It is always difficult to say no to a loyal Yamaha customer but as a manufacturer we need to strictly treat all customers equitably and assisting on a unit outside of the warranty period is just not fair to all owners. I hope you can understand our position".

If they were to treat all customers fair and equitably they would recognize the flaw in their product design and do something about it.
beginning the teardown.JPG

broken stay.JPG

welded stay 2.JPG

complete with mirror extensions.JPG

I removed the front stay, which was fairly straight forward and logical but not simple. It is best to remove the front fairing with the head light pod as it is very difficult to remove the screw from the back of the head light pod and there is no down side to doing this.

The welding cost me $50.00, which is a far cry from the cost of a new one.

There should be recognition from Yamaha that this is a flaw in the design but that would imply culpability wouldn't it?

Michael
Bernie and passx like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 11:42 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

I can see both sides, owners thinking it's a flaw and all, but if a consumer utilizes a product or a portion thereof in a manner inconsistent with the intent of the manufacturer, then why is it the mfr's fault? Yamaha didn't design or install the component to absorb side or impact loads. You dropped your bike which btw is also contrary to the intended use. I'm constantly amazed by people who are convinced of things like this in this our overly-litigated society. I actually work with the following guy: "I bought a ladder to get higher. I laid it on it's side between two bar stools and stood on it. I got higher until it fell over and I got hurt. Pay me." In one case we actually had a person try to sue us (the mfr) b/c he got a chemical burn b/c he attempted to use his coffee cup as a gasoline container and, "well, the labels didn't say I shouldn't put gas in it." Remember the McDonald's coffee lady? She included the coffee cup/lid mfr in her lawsuit because they didn't print these famous words CAUTION, HOT CONTENTS on the lid and cup. Now granted, I don't recall specifically reading anywhere a specific instruction not to drop your bike or to not park in such a way as to "just fall over" but.... see what I mean?

Anyhoo, I appreciate the time and effort you spent to document and snap the pics.

And no, I'm not a lawyer. Just a working slob who has been fortunate enough to work in places that have been on the receiving end of at least a dozen asinine lawsuits.
mobilemike likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:03 PM
Farkle Trainee

I zero speed dropped mine. Stay broke. Rode with it like that for a while. Just replaced it. I haven't even got it all back together yet. I didn't think it was a manufacturer's responsibility in that it only broke, not during normal operation, but during an ID10T malfunction in the driveway.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:23 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Luv View Post
I zero speed dropped mine. Stay broke. Rode with it like that for a while. Just replaced it. I haven't even got it all back together yet. I didn't think it was a manufacturer's responsibility in that it only broke, not during normal operation, but during an ID10T malfunction in the driveway.
Ah yes, as you typed, the Old I-D-10-T incident . I've had more than a few over the years and never blamed anyone but myself, certainly not the mfr. It's not their fault I'm [insert your favourite adjective here]. I'll start: clumsy. Drunk. A moron. D, all of the above.
J-Luv likes this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:30 PM
FJR Top Gun

I've broken mine twice on the left side. Epoxied it both times and it is OK. JB Weld is crap, use Permatex as it is higher strength. Unfortunately a design thing, that casting is paper thin and breaks easily unlike previous Gens. It might help if you use FZ1 mirrors as they will fold easier...... but bottom line, just don't drop the darn bike.

Oh yes, and when your friends are in that parking lot trying to hang on to something as your bike is going over, they grab the other mirror and it can break that side too.. BTDT. I was backing it into a parking spot wearing running shoes and my right shoe snagged on the right footpeg feeler, and I ended up dragging the whole bike over.... thankfully had tipover bars.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Thanks Michael, I appecaiate the info. and prefer to fix my own as well. How long did it take (estimated)?

That's what the voices of my drinking buddies in my head said, not my words

'09 FJR1300, '10 KLR 650, '05 R1200GS, '03 ST1100P
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

reply to Sonoma et al

It took me maybe 3 hours to take it a part, then a few days wait to get the part welded then about the same to put it together, I would never have a dealer do this work.

Also, my apologies if folks thought that I was blaming Yamaha for this incident - I take full responsibility for the dropping of the bike; however, I wanted to point out the design flaw - for that I do not take responsibility. If this was a one-off occurrence then it would not be an issue but the number of riders that have experienced this break is considerable, to the degree where some rider will say - one more reason to stay with a Gen 2 bike. Nothing against Gen 1 or 2, my brother runs a Gen 1 with a bizillion miles on it.

Mike
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:08 PM
FJR Top Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I've broken mine twice on the left side. Epoxied it both times and it is OK. JB Weld is crap, use Permatex as it is higher strength.
Good to know.

Happened to me about three years ago. I have been living with it. I will fix this in winter's maintenance cycle. I think if you get the tension on the mirror brackets right, the mirrors will stay in place, yet still fold in a side impact.

Look, we complain how heavy the FJR is. Installing a just heavy enough part to support the mirrors lets Yamaha save a little weight up high up front. I do not regard this as a faulty design.

Now, the aluminum subframe, however . . .
mobilemike likes this.

2013 FJR
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:16 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
There are effective prophylactic steps that can be taken to prevent the stay from breaking. The steps I took that work well for me are to install Canyon Cage protective bars on both the front rear of the bike and also install sliders on the front Canyon Cages. This arrangement prevents the bike from pivoting on the Canyon Cage and rolling up on the expensive bits. I've dropped my 2013 once on a steeply cambered road with no damage other than scuffing on the pannier protective bar and the slider.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 02-23-2017 at 10:21 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 10:22 PM
FJR Top Gun

I had canyon cages on mine when I dropped it, but eric_f's sliders hadn't arrived.

2013 FJR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page