Oil recommendation? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Oil recommendation?

Good morning fellas,

Since I am new to this bike (I have a bunch of older V4's), I was wondering what is the most recommended oil for the FJR and oil change intervals. I think they intervals tend to be higher with the synthetic oil? And how many quarts?

Thanks in advance

Mike

"Catching a yellow jacket in your shirt at 70 mph can double your vocabulary."

"Teach your children the love of motorcycles and they will never have money for drugs"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 09:38 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Read your owner's manual.

Read the innumerable oil related threads on this and other motorcycle forums.

Realize that just about everything you read on a forum is anecdotal and should be taken with a huge grain of salt. When someone posts, "I've been using XXXX oil for xx,000 miles and it works great!" it means nothing of real substance.

Read your owner's manual. Learn to understand what oil specifications mean and which oils are okay in your bike and which are not. Buy an acceptable oil.... use it.

If you really want to know how long you can safely run an oil in your bike, then send in a sample to a reputable lab and learn the facts about your oil in your bike.

Kevin
Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 01-28-2017 at 10:23 AM.
post #3 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:00 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post

If you really want to know how long you can safely run an oil in your bike, then send in a sample to a reputabe lab and learn the facts about your oil in your bike.
In my case, they said 10 000 miles
SBPAjonesy likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A

post #4 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post

Read the innumerable oil related threads on this and other motorcycle forums.

Realize that just about everything you read on a forum is anecdotal and should be taken with a huge grain of salt. When someone posts, "I've been using XXXX oil for xx,000 miles and it works great!" it means nothing of real substance.

Read your owner's manual. Learn to understand what oil specifications mean and which oils are okay in your bike and which are not. Buy an acceptable oil.... use it.

If you really want to know how long you can safely run an oil in your bike, then send in a sample to a reputable lab and learn the facts about your oil in your bike.
No disrespect intended here...I would absolutely read my owners manual....If I had one. The PO lost the original. It took me a while, but I found one and it is on its' way to me as we speak. I have read many threads both here and on several other forums that I am a veteran member of...The problem is, I want do some work on the bike this weekend...there is no REPUTABLE Yamaha dealership in my area (there is one 30 miles away, but I will NEVER step foot in there again). I know that the oil recommended by Yamaha for the FJR is YAMALUBE 15W-50 Full Synthetic...Either I will have to drive the 60 miles to another dealership, or order it. Either way, I won't have it today. I was just wondering if any of the members here use an alternate full-syn oil like Mobil-1 or others?

Oh and BTW, I know what oil specifications mean, I have been wrenching and riding these things for 30+ years. I am just NEW to Yamaha, not motorcycles. I absolutely can not use Full-Syn oil products in my Honda V4's...They operate on a wet-clutch and full-syn will make the clutches slip horribly. I didn't want this to happen on the FJR. I am just going to order the YAMALUBE oil and filter and work on it when the stuff gets here.

I just wanted to get some opinions, nothing more.

Out...

"Teach your children the love of motorcycles and they will never have money for drugs"
post #5 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:39 AM
FJR Top Gun

As long as the oil is MA/MA2 certified, it will not make any real difference whether the oil is dino or synthetic.

Because the FJR also has a wet clutch, you need to avoid oil that contains a friction modifier.

I happen to use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40, but that is just a preference. If I were somewhere I had to change the oil and it wasn't available, I wouldn't worry about using something else.
strublet, FjrjrF and SBPAjonesy like this.

2013 FJR
post #6 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:47 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
As long as the oil is MA/MA2 certified, it will not make any real difference whether the oil is dino or synthetic.

Because the FJR also has a wet clutch, you need to avoid oil that contains a friction modifier.

I happen to use Shell Rotella T6 5W-40, but that is just a preference. If I were somewhere I had to change the oil and it wasn't available, I wouldn't worry about using something else.
To get the job done today, head to a local auto parts store and get, as mentioned, oil that is MA/MA2 certified motorcycle oil, OR, as mentioned Rotella T6 (not motorcycle oil but has no friction modifiers). Full-Synthetics are fine! As long as MA/MA2 or higher and there are no friction modifiers (labeled "fuel saving") are present. You'll be GREAT!
steve o'connor and SBPAjonesy like this.

- Jim
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
1984 VF750Sabre
post #7 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post

Extremely good to know...I absolutely avoid friction modifiers in all of the other bikes for obvious reasons.

Thanks

post #8 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FjrjrF View Post
To get the job done today, head to a local auto parts store and get, as mentioned, oil that is MA/MA2 certified motorcycle oil, OR, as mentioned Rotella T6 (not motorcycle oil but has no friction modifiers). Full-Synthetics are fine! As long as MA/MA2 or higher and there are no friction modifiers (labeled "fuel saving") are present. You'll be GREAT!
Thank you!!!!

post #9 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Sorry for the response above to Kevin (Pterodactul)...I just worked a 14 hour shift and I am cranky and tired. thanks for the input all.

post #10 of 118 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 12:25 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

It would help if you'd tell us what yr your bike is. Some model yrs (like my '07) are a little persnickety when it comes to oil. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ told me everything I needed to know about what oil, oil change intervals, etc.

And a minor FYI, owners manuals can be downloaded for free https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/mo...owners-manuals
Sonoma and SBPAjonesy like this.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page