Badly scratched left hard case - repair or replace - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2007, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Training wheels fitted!

Default Badly scratched left hard case - repair or replace

Dropped bike trying a slow u-turn on a downward slope. Left side case is badly scratched. I have been looking for a replacement door but can't find where they are sold. Apparently Yamaha does not sell the part? Thought about buying the aerosol paint from colorrite and fixing it myself. I can fill the scratches and do the sanding and priming. I just worry about the finish with the aerosol can (??)

Any suggestions on using this paint or where I can find another case, or case door. Might just buy a pint of the paint and have the local body shop guy handle it. Also need the yamaha logo strip replaced - where do you get those?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Bob
brathbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

Just fix it.

Yamaha probably sells the Yamaha logo.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Default Scratched side case

My case covers had many scratches. What I did was get a can of spray in bed liner, wedged off the reflectors, sanded the surface and spayed them with bed liner. I think they look pretty good and I don't worry about scratches any more.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
High-G FJR Junkie!

Send a message via MSN to woody

I had a deep scratch on one of my panniers but I filled, sprayed and lac it not too bad, and cheaper than a new case.

A graduate with a science degree asks, "Why does it work?" The graduate with an engineering degree asks, "How does it work?" The graduate with an accounting degree asks, "How much will it cost?" The graduate with an arts degree asks, "Do you want fries with that?"
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 06:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Trainee Sport Tourer

An automotive spray painter should deal to this easily.
Tony Doms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Training wheels fitted!

The logo is about $6.00 from Yamaha, but the other piece that the logo goes into you have to call them for a price (I don't understand why?). I order my parts from Stadium Yamaha on line. You can go to the parts page and bring up what you need, it usually shows the price next to the item. www.stadiumyamaha.com

I would definately buy enough paint to do both bags, the color may not match if only one is painted (just something to think about) plus paint is usually cheaper the more you buy. There is nothing more upsetting than spending your hard earned money and finding the paint doesn't match the other hard case.

If you are going to take the case to a painter, ask them first if you can do your own bodywork to save a little money. The people I have delt with would rather do the bodywork and paint themselves, not so much for the extra money but when someone else does the bodywork they have to go back and either re-do it, or touch it up. And when they have to do this work, it cost the customer more than if they just let them do it all.

old dog
Old 08-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via MSN to alman

Bloody **** , hope know one gets to see my panniers.....! Plenty of battle scars.
alman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Training wheels fitted!

Send a message via MSN to baldy8353 Send a message via Yahoo to baldy8353

I dont know about anyone else but I wont be buying from Stadium dont know anything about them but if their prices for spares are any indication I think I'll stay with University motors just on the few bits on order from Mike Have saved over $25 per part
baldy
baldy8353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Farkle Trainee

Default scratched bags

Go to colorrite.com for the aerosol spray, has a 2 part clear w/bottle sprayer for application . Just sprayed my 04 and is a perfect match and easy app. Clear is very durable, probably harder than the factory job IMHO
Just a sugg. but http://shop.powersmotorsports.com will have all of your bag peices (logos, rubber, reflectors, and housing) and bag lids, but repaint is MUCH cheaper. Bought my peices from these guys, great service, fast ship. FYI my bag just JUMPED off so I replaced a few peices.