Where Should I Mount Driving Lights? - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Where Should I Mount Driving Lights?

Guys and Gals...I need some help trying to decide where to mount some lights.

My primary goal is to increase my visibility to cagers during the day and night. I dislike the look of driving lights hanging anywhere off the front of the bike as I feel it really detracts from the bikes sex appeal. But in the name of safety, I'm forging ahead and adding gaudy rally lights to a street driven Ferrari, so to speak.

Clearwater Lights has their Darlas (2" model) on sale which come standard with fender mounting brackets. For a few more bucks I can get a mirror bracket setup that mounts them under the mirrors. I have no desire go with any larger lights in the future as I don't ride roads out west where I need longer penetrating lights for higher speeds.

Is there a benefit to mounting lights one way or the other for the purpose of becoming more visible to the vehicles in front of me? At night on a dark road with the lights on full power, do the lights mounted low on the fender or high under the mirrors make any noticeable difference with what you're able to see ahead of you?

I can't wait to hear your thoughts and advice on the matter.

Man these things can really fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 FJR1300A | 1982 XJ1100 Maxim

Last edited by GrayGoose; 05-24-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 01:16 PM
Farkle Trainee

I'm interested to hear responses as well. It's my understanding the Darlas aren't going to illuminate much "down the road", and mostly for you to be better seen by other drivers. I'm like you and don't necessarily want fixtures hanging off by mirrors cluttering my fairing. So I'll see what others have to say. I like the location Clearwater shows for the Darlas and Glendas, down at the fender. I want the longest shining led's without being too large (under 3"-3.5"0 and mount them there. I think I have an idea of what I want, but will have to fabricate my own mounting brackets...which right now is too much work for the benefit.

'14 FJR-ES Candy Red
'83 CB1100F Blue Red and White (not currently running)
'83 CB1100F Red Black and White (in the shed)
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Farkle Trainee

Send a message via AIM to lagain
I doubt if you will achieve very much improvement on the existing lights, unless they are quite large.

The easiest way of improving the lights is by changing the bulbs. In the UK Auto Express (a motoring magazine) does the occasional test of bulbs and it is surprising how they vary

Past bikes; Honda 50 Suzuki 50 Yam XS250 Yam XJ650 Yam XJ 900 Honda CX650 Turbo Yam FJ1100 Yam FJ1200 (2) Honda ST1100 (2) Yam FJR1300 (5) 670,000 miles !

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagain View Post
I doubt if you will achieve very much improvement on the existing lights, unless they are quite large.

The easiest way of improving the lights is by changing the bulbs. In the UK Auto Express (a motoring magazine) does the occasional test of bulbs and it is surprising how they vary
You don't think adding a set of auxiliary lights will impact my visibility to the traffic in front of me? One of my biggest concerns is someone not seeing me and pulling out or turning in front of me, now matter how defensive I'm riding. Remember, I'm not trying to light up the night but just become move obvious in traffic. I'll check out the magazine and see what they say.

Man these things can really fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 FJR1300A | 1982 XJ1100 Maxim
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Farkle Trainee

Mounted a pair of these on the existing screws - lower fork area.

Am very pleased and they work well Night & Day. That said, I did not wire them as instructed. They are wired to the battery through a remote switch, along with the Garmin. The way Piaa instructs installation dims them when HI Beams are activated.

Shop for price........this is what they look like.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/330-...fb-xoCGSfw_wcB

FJR - 2014 ABS California Model

Indian Chieftain - 2016

Spyder RT S - 2011

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 05:48 PM
Farkle Trainee

The general rule on lights is that the higher and wider they are, the greater the chance of them being seen by others.

You still have to assume they won't be seen.

If you are running stock bulbs, you might consider adding a modulator. They are legal in all 50 states if they are fitted correctly.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:08 PM
FJR Top Gun

I think fork mounted lights create a triangle that makes you more visible, so I mounted 10W LED's on the fender bolts. No need IMHO to spend big bucks, some are pretty economical (like $30). MondoMoto makes a nice kit that comes with everything you need, installation harness and relay and switch... they really don't need a relay but it's in the harness. 2 amp draw.

If you want to light up the road at night, then that's another matter.
Steve Bracken likes this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Training wheels fitted!

I recently mounted the darla's on my 15A on the forks and always run the yellow lens during the daytime. At night they provide a major improvement over the stock lights and serves my needs nicely.

2015 FJR1300A
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 10:54 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYzerman View Post
I think fork mounted lights create a triangle that makes you more visible, so I mounted 10W LED's on the fender bolts. No need IMHO to spend big bucks, some are pretty economical (like $30). MondoMoto makes a nice kit that comes with everything you need, installation harness and relay and switch... they really don't need a relay but it's in the harness. 2 amp draw.

If you want to light up the road at night, then that's another matter.
The whole "triangle" thing came from a study that showed that trains are more visible with their one central light and two lower lights.

The problem with this is that trains are not motorcycles. Trains are massive, and all their lights are high up, and motorcycles are tiny. Adding low lights to a motorcycle is not the same as adding them to a train

Get them up high, and if you want a triangle, put them above the mirrors. Just be happy they are less likely to be obscured by other road users, or high medians

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:54 AM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaismo View Post
I recently mounted the darla's on my 15A on the forks and always run the yellow lens during the daytime. At night they provide a major improvement over the stock lights and serves my needs nicely.
Do they shine 100% all the time? Or do they change brightness when you switch to high beam?

'14 FJR-ES Candy Red
'83 CB1100F Blue Red and White (not currently running)
'83 CB1100F Red Black and White (in the shed)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page