Not sure about this Laam seat ! - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Not sure about this Laam seat !

Just did 550 miles in two days, the first ride on my new Laam seat. We rode the amazing "triple nickel" (Route 555) in South East Ohio, but thats another story. Total ride included about 50/50 slab and twisties and i could not ask for a better test bed.
The seat is way better than stock for sure, but its hard, and I still felt pushed forward and had pain in spots under my upper thighs. The latter may be caused by underwear seams, or seams in my new ADVsport riding pants - i need to check that out yet.
Now, I dont have a small butt, but its not large by any means. It seems there is no real wiggle room, the seat puts me in one place and im stuck there. Thats probably intentional and unavoidable, as its a short seat anyway. I have helibars that make me sit up straighter, and id really like a little more than they can give me. Im 5'10" 210lbs with 40" waist and 31" InSeam. I related all this, and more, to Seth, but i think he built a standard riding position seat. If i lean forward to assimilate the factory riding position, it feels better, but i cannot do that for long.
Im tossing up between sending it back to Seth for altering, or giving it a season to break in. Ill probably do the latter, especially if others have had the same experience.
Anyone else have a definite break-in period where this sliding forward, ball crushing feeling went away ?

2013 FJR1300A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Farkle Trainee

I'll admit, I was expecting more of a la-z-boy feel to the seat when I first tried it. Meaning, it was not cushy. I have MV riser installed as I like sitting up more than leaning fwd. I want to feel fairly neutral. When I ride 2 up, I probably hug the tank a little tighter in the crotch. When solo, I vary my position more, especially on longer rides, by sliding fore and aft subtly and rotating my hips. I don't experience the sliding fwd ball crushing. I do have the snakeskin like pads on my tank, and perhaps my squeezing knees help control that. I have found the Laam seat very comfortable. It allows me to rotate my hips into a neutral curved spine position and I avoid hot-spots on my bony arse. If you aren't soon satisfied, I'm pretty certain Seth would prefer you return it so he can adjust it accordingly. It was a pain waiting on it to get done, but I believe he puts any adjustment seats at the top of the production list.

'14 FJR-ES Candy Red
'83 CB1100F Blue Red and White (not currently running)
'83 CB1100F Red Black and White (in the shed)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

J-Luv, i have those Techspec pads in snakeskin on my tank too. I could squeeze them for a lot longer with the standard seat than i can with the Laam. The latter splays my thighs apart. Glad to hear your Laam is comfortable - How long have you had it, approximate mileage, and did it soften up any?
I read a lot of folks saying the seat was harder than they expected. With a quality foam, i dont expect it to soften up quickly either !

2013 FJR1300A

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:11 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
My Laam seat is the greatest thing since peanut butter.

Don't pass any judgment in until you have at least 1000-1500 miles on it.
wheaton and drsmooth like this.

Mike Hammer Down Brown
Harrisburg, NC
2016 FJR 1300A
IBA #35455

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:13 PM
Farkle Trainee

I don't know if it got more comfortable (softer) or if I just got more use to it. I got it back exactly 1 year ago today as chance would have it. (I sent it in 3.25.16 and got it back 5.19.16.) I have over 5000 miles on it...maybe 6000 or so. I know I could not have done the 2 IBA rides I've done on a stock seat. No. Way.

'14 FJR-ES Candy Red
'83 CB1100F Blue Red and White (not currently running)
'83 CB1100F Red Black and White (in the shed)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:59 PM
FJR Top Gun

My experience is seats don't break in, especially with firmer foam. It's either right for you or not. Get more miles on it and see how it goes, butt (couldn't resist the pun) if it isn't what you want on the long hauls........ I had a Laam several years ago, and while a ton better than the stock seat, it wasn't quite good enough. I went Russell.
Steve Bracken and Redfish like this.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Down Brown View Post
My Laam seat is the greatest thing since peanut butter.
Is that smooth or super chunk?!? LOL
Hammer Down Brown likes this.

- Jim
2014 GenIII ES
2002 VTX1800c
1984 VF750Sabre
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Farkle Trainee

I would not expect the Laam to soften up very much if at all. I have had Seth Laam build 3 seats for me and cannot recall any of them getting softer over time. In fact the one on my '15 has about 24K miles on it and it still feels hard when I first sit on it. Butt, I like it. Dad now has over 35K miles on his and it is still that way as well. I think that is better than having the foam give out over time.

I think you either get used to the seat or you don't. One thing that I love about every Laam I ever sat on is that it prevents me from sliding forward and crushing the twins. I cannot recall many complaints about the Laam letting that happen, most folks are happy with that aspect of the Laam. Perhaps your seat is more "custom" than you think, you did mention a 31" inseam. Perhaps he made it easier for you to reach the ground?

All of the True Custom seats put you in One Spot and keep you there. How else would a custom seat built for you be built? Look at the Russell Day Long, the Laam, the Mayer seats, they all have a pocket.

There is no Perfect Seat. They are all a compromise of some sort.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

All Good points. Thanks Guys.
Right now im not getting that cannot-wait-to-get-back-on-the-bike feeling, but I think ill evaluate it at riding seasons end.

2013 FJR1300A
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 03:22 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiaudio View Post
All Good points. Thanks Guys.
Right now im not getting that cannot-wait-to-get-back-on-the-bike feeling, but I think ill evaluate it at riding seasons end.

Really? The only way I can imagine "not getting that cannot-wait-to-get-back-on-the-bike feeling" would be if Salma Hayek showed up at my door with a can of whipped cream and a bikini and suggested we do Something Different for an hour or so.

After which, I would be wanting to get back on my FJR.
Kiwiaudio, passx, FjrjrF and 1 others like this.

Never run out of ideas, traction, and real estate at the same time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page