Rear Seat Replacing Auxiliary Tank a.k.a. Tag-Along Tank - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Rear Seat Replacing Auxiliary Tank a.k.a. Tag-Along Tank

Oh that lovin' feeling...
We don't feel it slipping away, until one day, it's just gone. Something extinguished it, and then replaced it so we don't even miss it. Sad.

FJRfarrier and griffisc just gave me that feeling back. By helping them acquire their Rear Seat Replacing Auxiliary Tank a.k.a. Tag-Along Tank, I was reminded how passionately I used to feel about my auxiliary tank design.

When I look at these two boxes:

I feel it again. The obsession is right there, as if it had never left.

What does this have to do with FJROwners?
I feel the need to share. I want to get the word out. ...again, this time on a site that is open and searchable to the outside world.

So, forgive me. But, I feel like this:

If you have no idea what I am talking about, stay tuned.
More to follow

Last edited by Joe2Lmaker; 05-17-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:29 AM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Film at 11 kind of BS? Really? You can't just post up what's got your cooter all a-quiver?

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Training wheels fitted!

You need an auxillary tank on a bike that already boasts a nearly 300 mile range?? Your butt must have more iron in it than mine does!!!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank in NM

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Film at 11 kind of BS? ...
I thought it was only going to be a few minutes. ...an hour tops. Someone was getting after me to get out and mow the lawn. I didn't realize that my first post needed to be reviewed by a moderator.

Here is another photo of what the excitement was all about:

There are three tanks there, being assembled. Two were shipped today. The third will find a new home soon.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I've been told that there is sufficient flow through the On/Off valve, but just out of curiosity I spent the evening checking the fit of a valve with larger ID throughput.

Here's the full assembly:

This is the valve currently in use:

This is the larger throughput valve:

Now I know what modifications the mounting bracket will need:

...next to figure out which barbed fittings to order.

Last edited by Joe2Lmaker; 05-16-2017 at 04:24 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:25 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankinNM View Post
You need an auxillary tank on a bike that already boasts a nearly 300 mile range?? Your butt must have more iron in it than mine does!!!
Well to start with, the FJR doesn't have a "nearly 300 mile range".

At the 39 mpg mine has averaged over the last 40 000 miles, it has a maximum range of 257 miles .... and you had better hope you are not running into the wind, and that 257 miles coincides with a gas station.

In reality, it has a normal range of 200-ish miles to be safe, and even that's not "safe" in many western states.

Suddenly, the idea of another 4 gallons on the back seems pefectly reasonable.

This thread is about how to implement that, not whether it is a good thing or not.
J-Luv and W8NONU like this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bracken View Post
Well to start with, the FJR doesn't have a "nearly 300 mile range".

At the 39 mpg mine has averaged over the last 40 000 miles, it has a maximum range of 257 miles .... and you had better hope you are not running into the wind, and that 257 miles coincides with a gas station.

In reality, it has a normal range of 200-ish miles to be safe, and even that's not "safe" in many western states.

Suddenly, the idea of another 4 gallons on the back seems pefectly reasonable.

This thread is about how to implement that, not whether it is a good thing or not.
Yep, sure as **** not getting 300 mile range with my 2007! I regulary get 220 and fill up which is not the 300 mile range of my old RT... I'm working on a 2.9 gallon aux tank so I can travel out west without having to worry!

The best days to ride end in "Y"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 09:57 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8NONU View Post
Yep, sure as **** not getting 300 mile range with my 2007! I regulary get 220 and fill up which is not the 300 mile range of my old RT... I'm working on a 2.9 gallon aux tank so I can travel out west without having to worry!
I understand the usefulness of having an auxiliary fuel tank, but I live and ride in the west and don't find I need one. I am not a committed long distance rider, but Spousal Unit and I regularly ride 500 mile days and she's on a F800GS which has a bit smaller range. She has carried extra fuel when we lived in AK and rode in remote areas or between the states and AK. She used PegPackers to carry fuel in those cases.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:13 PM
Training wheels fitted!

Gentlemen, I live 'out west', and a bike with a 200-mile range works fine. The only place I think I'd 'push the limit' would be Death Valley, or maybe a few stretches of Highway 50 through Nevada. As for range, I admittedly do not have a lot of experience with the FJR, but recent gas mileage calcs I have done show between 46 and 50MPG, depending of course on speed, terrain, weather, and condition of the bike (tire pressures and all that.) I haven't 'drained the tank' yet, but soon intend to do some experiments in real world conditions. However, I would be interested in seeing how that aux tank system works out, and what it does to the bike's balance and handling. Ride Safe!!

Ride Safe & Sane;
Hank in NM

Last edited by HankinNM; 05-15-2017 at 10:17 PM.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

"What do you need that for, Dude? "

I'm not going to try to explain that one. I mean, imagine a thread trying to explain why we need a motorcycle, or why we need an FJR.

It's not a need. It's a want.

Devil's Tower Wyoming: Parking is on the west side. That means that the best light without a long hike is in the evening. The nearest little town with a gas station is to the east, and it closes ...early. It was nice not having to worry about fuel.

Mica Dam north of Revelstoke, British Columbia: Beautiful ride. You will not make it there and back without extra fuel.

An auxiliary tank is not a basic need. We have met those already, or we wouldn't be riding. It's passion, desire, a perk.
Yeah... that's it. It's a perk. It's a reward given to ourselves after meeting our needs and the needs of those we love. We can afford it, and **** it, we want it.

Now, go back and click on the first line in this reply. It's a link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page