Not happy with Admore LED connection - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

Not happy with Admore LED connection

As they say, buying a used bike isn't what costs you. It's all the add-ons!

I got a Givi SR346 rack and a V46 top box, so of course I wanted to add lights to it! I got the Admore kit for the V46, and followed the installation instructions to a T. Not being able to envision the final product, I trusted the installation instructions. My first disappointment was the lack of amber turn signals. I've read other posts where people mentioned the amber signals with their Admore kits, but not with mine. When I was done installing, I was also disappointed at how the wire ran into the top box. I mean, there's a perfectly good knock-out hole on the bottom, and a matching hole in the Givi rack, but neither of those are used. I drilled a hole in the top section of the box, which means there's no good way of hiding the cable that goes to it. Ugh...

So, I've been brainstorming better ways of a better way to make that connection. I think of "Pogo pin connectors", where you have pointed pins on one side, and a "pad" of pins on the other side. There's a little bit of spring to them, so as long as the pins roughly line up, you have a little bit of depth to play with. Kind of like this:

I found a website that sold these in small quantities, so I bought some with high hopes. Here's what showed up in the mail:

Dammit. Apparently I didn't recognize the size of this thing in all the engineer-speak on the website. I'm thinking of hard wiring it all myself. Before I do that, I thought of a similar type of connector: magnetic self-locating connectors. Basically the same concept as the above "connector for ants", but it also uses magnets so you just slap a connector somewhere in the area and it will find its mate on its own. Also, to disconnect you just pull and it lets go. Something like this:

Alas, I can't find anyone in the USA that sells connectors like this. I can only find websites that make them in China and sell them in bulk (thousands at a time). And I don't even know how something like that would do out in the elements.

So, back to the drawing board. I may just hardwire everything because I don't take the box off that often, but was hoping for some sort of quick-release that's still aesthetically pleasing and out of the way. Any other thoughts or ideas?

'04 FJR1300

Past:
'01 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 800
'84 Yamaha Virago 700
'83 Suzuki GS650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

That's crazy having a wire hanging out in the open.

What do you do when you remove the top case??

On the other hand, my Givi has that two-pronged connection on the bottom and every time I check it to see if the brake lights in the Givi work, they don't.

Then I have to pull the Givi off and find which of the spring loaded connectors is jammed or corroded or whatever the problem is.

I have considered hardwiring the darn thing through the hole where the present connector is but, knowing myself, I would forget to disconnect it while removing the case, something I do fairly often, and break the wire, or have the wire pull the Top Case out of my hands as I walk away and scratch the paint.

Good luck with your installation, I got quite a charge out of that little thing they sent you in the mail. Ha Ha.

07 FJR 38,000 miles 03 Yamaha FJR1300
1986 Yamaha FZX700 1977 Kawasaki KX250 1978? Yamaha TY250 1979 Yamaha YZ250 1970 850 Moto Guzzi 1974? Honda XL 100 1978? Yamaha XT500 1975 Yamaha RD350B 1964 Bridgestone 90S
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Training wheels fitted!

I haven't decided yet what to do when I remove the top case. I may tie a piece of velcro wrap to the rack so I can secure the wire.

See, that's good to know that your spring loaded connectors go bad sometimes. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't go that route. Unless, I could just find a *better* connector....

Before going the hardwire route, I'm still considering my options and furiously Googling to see what other electrical connector technology is out there.

'04 FJR1300

Past:
'01 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 800
'84 Yamaha Virago 700
'83 Suzuki GS650

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:04 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiostatic View Post
I haven't decided yet what to do when I remove the top case. I may tie a piece of velcro wrap to the rack so I can secure the wire.

See, that's good to know that your spring loaded connectors go bad sometimes. Maybe it's a good thing I didn't go that route. Unless, I could just find a *better* connector....

Before going the hardwire route, I'm still considering my options and furiously Googling to see what other electrical connector technology is out there.
Try Googling "Deutsch Connectors"
philharmonic and radiostatic like this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:04 PM
FJR Top Gun

You have an '04. I do not know what kind of connectors you use for the tail/brake/turn signal lights, but my '13 uses HD-090 connectors for the rear lights. One source: http://www.cycleterminal.com/

Two things:
1. There are two kinds of Admore light bars - with and without the amber turn signals. Either your light bar does not have turn signals or the previous owner never wired them into the circuit.
2. Admore sells a wiring harness that plugs in between the bike (at least on my '13) and the rear light assembly.
J-Luv and steve o'connor like this.

2013 FJR
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:29 AM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Looking up the instructions from Admore, I can't help but think something was lost in translation. The step for drilling the hole says to do so a few inches above the hinge, but toward the end it says to hook up the connector at the bottom of the case. When I installed the Shad kit into my topbox, the instructions were more clear about drilling the bottom of the case and running the wiring inside across the hinges to avoid pulling or pinching when opening the lid. I see in the V46 instructions a section that says you can choose your own place to drill for the connector and that they can provide plugs if you don't like your first choice. Instead of re-inventing the wheel, give that pre-existing hole you mentioned a try and see how it works. Good luck!

2013 FJR1300A
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:05 AM
Farkle Trainee

I chose givi's factory lights in my E55. It (wiring) eventually wore out and I just switched to a hardwired Admore light bar. I love it. Easy install and still going tens of thousands of miles later. If Admore made a "front" bar with white LED's and turn/hazards (just like the back but with no brake/red led function) I'd put one on tomorrow.
JohnC likes this.

Tour of Honor- Join today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 04-18-2017 at 07:08 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 09:39 AM
Farkle Trainee

I have the Givi V47 top box and added the Admore light strips. I love the wiring harness that simply plugs into the bike's wiring harness under the seat ('14ES). I ran the wire to the rear of the pillion seat and had to dremel a semi circle hole in the body plastic to keep from pinching the wire as it passed from under the seat to where I zip tied the end pin connector to my SR357 rack. I left the pin connector there in the event I wanted to run without the top case...which I never do for whatever reasons. I went through the bottom of the box to keep the water out. My kit came with some wire clips with adhesive back to route the wiring inside the top box. It works OK. The lights themselves have 3-pin connectors that are routed on the underside of the box lid.

Here's my issue though. The amber lights on the right side quit working last summer, so I had to order two new light strips. I was a little chapped having to do that after only a couple years, and didn't expect the other side to go out, yet had to purchase a pair of lights. Turns out, that's not a bad thing, as my left side ambers went over the winter. Had to remove the box lenses and fish the old wire/strip out and reinstall. At least is was in my cycle closet and I didn't have to reorder and pay another shipping fee.

I like that they flash when the brakes are applied, and I like the alternating amber for turn signal. I don't like that they didn't last very long. I'm assuming the life on these will be equally short-lived.
radiostatic likes this.

'14 FJR-ES Candy Red
'83 CB1100F Blue Red and White (not currently running)
'83 CB1100F Red Black and White (in the shed)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 04:31 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

Garage
Thatís too bad to hear, Iíve had good success with Admore. I had some of the LEDís burn out on mine and they sent a replacement fairly quickly. They were also helpful in letting me know how to convert it from my old bike to the FJR.

As far as the connection, when I installed my Admore kit for the K53, I drilled it close to the bottom and ran the cable along the bottom, using black tape to tape it down. It has worked well for tens of thousands of miles. However, maybe your lights mount differently? Mine mounted on the bottom of the K53 not the lid. While the connection isnít ideal, it isnít that bad, especially if you have a softcase inside the topcase and donít have to take the topcase off all the time.

admoreconnection.jpg

- Moto Mike

BIKES: PAST-Honda XR 650L, Ninja 250, Honda Hurricane 600, EX500, Ninja 650, ZX-14R and now 2015 FJR1300!

SOME FAVORITE RIDES: Blue Ridge Parkway, Hawks Nest, Jersey Shore, A1A, NYC
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
I put the Admore kit in my V46 and didn't get the plug and play harness. Since then I have a buzz in my J&M CB. I am sure it's a ground issue because it goes away when I put on the brakes and trigger the brake light circuit. Has anyone else delt with this issue?

Mike Hammer Down Brown
Harrisburg, NC
2016 FJR 1300A
IBA #35455

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Hammer Down Brown; 04-19-2017 at 11:03 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page