Best Bang GPS - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Best Bang GPS

I get lost in the designations. I am close to admitting that iPhone is not the end-all be-all for nav. It's great, never lets me down, but I just can't see the screen when it's sunny. I need a gps that is waterproof. I do not need it to do anything other than display a route and give me turn by turn in my helmet via Bluetooth. No xm, no tire pressure monitoring (I use Fobo). I have a dash, and will have to figure out how to mount whatever I choose on it (preferably on one of the existing ram balls). I don't mind running power off the battery, but won't do so unless I can avoid parasitic draw when the bike is off. Any suggestions on the most effective and/or cost effective unit are appreciated.

Tour of Honor- Join today.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:31 PM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
I had a TomTom Rider and it performed well. They tend to be much cheaper than Garmins. How about the iPhone 7 Plus with its 5.5 inch screen? That is as big as many GPS models.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:50 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

If you look around you can pick up a Garmin 660 for cheap. In my opinion they are all a person needs. To back that up. I have one 660 and two 665's and have no intention of upgrading them anytime soon. To set aside your concern of parasitic drain. I run two of mine off of a 20amp(over kill) wireless remote wired directly to the battery. On my FJR, I also have my Pias connected to the same remote. Which is Velcro'd to the the clutch reservoir - easy on and off. The controller is located in the fairing out of the weather.

This is the wireless remote I use. It, may not be the one for you because it does have an LED light that indicates it is receiving power. For me, that's not a problem because when I'm not on the road my bike is on a tender that comes on one hour out of every 12 to keep the battery healthy. That said, I've never had the LED cause a battery low condition on the road.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...h?cm_vc=-10005

Hope this helps a little.

Jerry
MrPalms likes this.

FJR - 2014 ABS California Model

Indian Chieftain - 2016

Spyder RT S - 2011

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:55 PM
Farkle Trainee

If you want waterproof, the Garmin 660 and 665 are best buys. They are run-out models at less than half the original price. The 665 will also do weather and SiriusXM

If you want big screen, the Dezl 770, refurbished, takes some beating.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Farkle Trainee

Clearly nothing short of a $900 Zumo 595 will do! 🙂

Seriously, I purchase a GPS about once every 10 years so a 595's annual cost is not terribly painful. And available for less than full MSRP.

2016 FJR1300A
2016 Beta 430 RS
2016 Subaru Outback
2013 Tesla Model S 85
2009 Husaberg FE450
1983 Porsche 928S
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Thanks guys. Looking for the 665 in stock- no luck so far. Looking at the 660 and other suggestions next. Thanks again for the suggestions. Yesterday, I rode with my oldest across a couple of states yesterday to his new base (military). Me on the FJR, he on the 1976 airhead. Wife, daughter in law, and grandson somewhere back in an SUV. GPS was jacked up. Multiple devices, multiple programs, all malfunctioned on this trip, and it caused problems. Highlighted the need to be able to see detail and make gloved changes to sort through the malfunction while riding for those times when gps is useless. You need to know when it's hosed and see what it's doing wrong in detail. All worked out. But it sure made me want something better. My dual iPhone setup has onboard maps and generally does well. But when you are in a glitchy area or operating on a day where it's just not working, I am newly ready to spend money for something better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bill Lumberg; 04-16-2017 at 05:34 PM.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:32 PM
Farkle Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
Clearly nothing short of a $900 Zumo 595 will do! 🙂

Seriously, I purchase a GPS about once every 10 years so a 595's annual cost is not terribly painful. And available for less than full MSRP.
If someone were able to persuade me that the extra $600 was well spent, over the $300 I paid for a new 665, then I would have bought one.

I have a Garmin 665 AND a Garmin Montana 50, and I didn't pay $900 combined. ($645)

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

I'm going to buy something, probably today, based upon your disreputable but reliable advice. I may end up thinking it was a superfluous addition, but I rather doubt it.

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Trainee Sport Tourer

You know the 665LM has XM.
Steve Bracken likes this.

FJR - 2014 ABS California Model

Indian Chieftain - 2016

Spyder RT S - 2011

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Farkle Trainee

Get thee behind me... if I could find the 665LM in stock from a reputable seller, I would probably succumb to forum influence and apply Amex immediately. As long as I could figure out an expedient mounting plan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page