Key delete- Cheap and useful Mod - Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Key delete- Cheap and useful Mod

My first useful post here.
Most places I ride and hang out I am not concerned with theft of anything. Shoot I have not seen my house keys in 30 years and if you want to borrow my truck, well you get the idea. Just not a problem around here. An exposed key in the ignition may be a temptation, what if that key did not look like a key?
See first thumb-
Saddlebags, what a pain to have to move the key around every time you want to get into the bag. Just make a knob and leave me the option of locking if I choose to.
See second thumb

If you choose to secure everything just remove the two saddlebag key knobs and the ignition knob to stow in the left cubby hole where you will keep a stock key that fits in pocket easier.

Thumb of knobs I started with, just try to keep it about that size so it clears the seat lock. Knob with a stud in it is ok, it will just twist out and make a nice pocket to place the JB weld in.

I went to the local lock shop and had a few spares made. For the ignition you will need to cut the ears off so it will be long enough to modify. On the ignition make sure you allow enough length when cutting the key down to activate the fork lock.

Pick whatever knobs suit you but make sure you have maybe 1/4 inch pocket to place the JB weld in. I heated the key a smidge to melt it into the knob then dabbed the JB weld in. Let it set overnight and in the morning cure in a pan of hot (not boiling) water to finish the strengthening. If you do not heat cure allow to cure 24 hours for strength.

Overall a nice little project, looks good and adds convenience. I have maybe 7 bucks all in. I had those knobs laying about but you can buy some on Amazon or Flea Bay, or local hardware.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KeyKnob1.jpg (251.2 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg BagKnob.jpg (263.2 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg BaseKnob.jpg (369.3 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg SideViewKnobs.jpg (173.5 KB, 161 views)
Scott_in_TX likes this.

2015 FJR A
Pile of dirt bikes, mostly KTM's and a few Vintage
Boats n Stuff
What makes your life worth living?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:40 AM
FJR Top Gun

Garage
Yup, this idea has made the cycle through the forums a few times, and it is a good one. I've been using a knobbed key for the luggage for a few years. If you leave the key in a pannier while riding, as I do, it is a good idea to pull it out of the key hole one click so it won't vibrate to the unlocked position.

Kevin
Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

And here I thought I was the first! I had not considered the unlocking itself problem. May have to re-think this....

2015 FJR A
Boats n Stuff

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 AM
FJR Top Gun

The ignition knob works only for US bikes, as Rest-Of-World has an immobilizer chip in the key. I was always concerned about the self-unlock for the luggage too so never did it on this bike as I did on my past bikes.

Ray
Keep yer stick on the ice....
2014 FJR1300A - Root Beer, 2008 WR450F, 1983 Magna V65 (for sale)
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 02:00 PM
High-G FJR Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBaddog View Post
And here I thought I was the first! I had not considered the unlocking itself problem. May have to re-think this....
Nah, many did this decades ago. And you should rethink this, people have un-locktited saddlebag screw lock coming loose and falling out from vibrations all the time. What makes you think the keys wouldn't vibrate to the 'open' position? You'd be lucky if the case just opened- worse would be if the release handle released and your case bounced down the road for a couple of hunnert feet.

Hope you remember to turn off the ignition all the time, since the key doesn't look like a key anymore. Jump starting can be a PITA.

And what's so hard about just carrying a second key to open/unlatch stuff? Oh, wait. You already are, in the glovebox. Why not just use it? This makes no sense, inviting people to steal your stuff. I understand your point of view completely and used to think the same way. Until a douche bag decided to help himself to about $10K of our stuff.

You really should rethink this. Your stuff, your choice. But IMHO it's a bad idea on a few different levels.

Russ
2007A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 05:41 PM
Farkle Trainee

Now a true key delete would be an RFID chip and controller for the ignition. That would be rethinking it.

Professional Mechanic
2014 Yamaha FJR
2001 Suzuki Bandit Highly modified
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbentnail View Post
Nah, many did this decades ago. And you should rethink this, people have un-locktited saddlebag screw lock coming loose and falling out from vibrations all the time. What makes you think the keys wouldn't vibrate to the 'open' position? You'd be lucky if the case just opened- worse would be if the release handle released and your case bounced down the road for a couple of hunnert feet.

Hope you remember to turn off the ignition all the time, since the key doesn't look like a key anymore. Jump starting can be a PITA.

And what's so hard about just carrying a second key to open/unlatch stuff? Oh, wait. You already are, in the glovebox. Why not just use it? This makes no sense, inviting people to steal your stuff. I understand your point of view completely and used to think the same way. Until a douche bag decided to help himself to about $10K of our stuff.

You really should rethink this. Your stuff, your choice. But IMHO it's a bad idea on a few different levels.
Taking my stuff would not be recommended. No concealed carry needed.

No way to leave the key on, gee the instruments sort of light up when on and hey there is a light on the front or wait is the back on too and what is that strange noise that sounds like an engine?

Already working on a detent for the case latch, it ain't rocket science just need some time.

RFID would be way cool, I wonder if there is some existing tech that could be ported over. Might start looking into this just for grins if it does not warm up soon.

2015 FJR A
Boats n Stuff

Last edited by TTBaddog; 03-17-2017 at 08:46 PM.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Farkle Trainee

Garage
Did a quick search and found this:

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/moto...rity/dgd-kim-u

Video of it in action:

Not too bad.

-Matt
2014 FJR1300A
1999 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (sold)
1993 Suzuki VX800 (sold)

1978 Suzuki GS550E (sold)
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 09:58 PM
Farkle Trainee

I did this a good few thousand miles ago.

The key will not rotate on its own in a saddlebag lock. Indeed, I have to press the flap down quite hard to open the lock, even when I want it open.

I also have a tethered key permanently in the Givi Top Case lock. That one doesn't move either.
Bill Lumberg likes this.

Steve

2005 Yamaha FJR1300A
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Trainee Sport Tourer

Nice, I can see me clipping that thing to gear so it is always ready. 295 is tough though. That's a Santa item.

2015 FJR A
Boats n Stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha FJR Forum : Yamaha FJR Owners Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page